• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

strength to bowl fast?

ReallyCrazy

Banned
How important do you guys think strength is to bowl fast? I don't think it's that important. IMO being able to bowl fast depends more on the action. I know I just play cricket for fun but two years ago, I could bowl a LOT faster than I do today (tho I have gotten a lot stronger). I remember I was really fast and the batters were scared lol. But now, I am medium pace. I think after adding more muscle, you compromise a quick arm action. Either that, or I've started doing something totally wrong.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's got more to do with rhythm and a good action than strength. If you've got a good action when you're young, but are not necessarily quick then you'd expect your pace to develop along with additional strength. If you're quick due to be abnormally big for your age etc then I guess you'd be seeing everyone catch up at a latter stage, unless of course you had the technique to keep on developing accordingly.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
its more to do with the action, look at waqar and shoaib when they bowled they use the slinging action with generated lots of extra pace. even now lasith malinga of SL uses the high slinging action and can generate serious pace, most of those who use the 'regular' action generate medium pace *except bond and brett lee and probably other but i cant think of them...?*

Swervy

International Captain
apparently it has a lot to do with how your abdominal muscles contract or something

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
It's about the action and strength.Your lower body has to be strong to generate pace using the right techniques.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Arm speed is the key but your body has to be strong to cope with this. A interestig stat though is that Glen McGrath and Shane Warne have exactly the same arm speed.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hit4Six said:
its more to do with the action, look at waqar and shoaib when they bowled they use the slinging action with generated lots of extra pace. even now lasith malinga of SL uses the high slinging action and can generate serious pace, most of those who use the 'regular' action generate medium pace *except bond and brett lee and probably other but i cant think of them...?*
I think there's quite a few exceptions to the rule as far as using a normal action and generating serious pace goes - eg: see Lillee, Gillespie, Holding, Marshall, Garner, Ambrose, Walsh etc etc etc. I think a good action will generate some serious pace when it's combined with a normal amount of muscle and rhythm.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Swervy said:
apparently it has a lot to do with how your abdominal muscles contract or something
Yeah i saw an article by Dennis Lillee on that...something to do with Fast Twitch and Normal Twitch muscles...apparently all the really fast bowlers are born with fast twitch and can naturally bowl faster.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SpaceMonkey said:
Yeah i saw an article by Dennis Lillee on that...something to do with Fast Twitch and Normal Twitch muscles...apparently all the really fast bowlers are born with fast twitch and can naturally bowl faster.
That's the one.

Fast Twitch Fibres + Arm Speed + Arm Length + Rhythm = Speed :)

FRAZ

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
That's the one.

Fast Twitch Fibres + Arm Speed + Arm Length + Rhythm = Speed :)
Mr pick up thats right , But let me tell one thing that there is just a little difference between an express fast bowler and a fast bowler , lets say , Lee Akhtar vs Shabbir and Mohammad Akram. The thing is the revolving of the shoulder (which is common) but in Akhtar and Lee case its also a slight late jerk of the forearm which makes the bowl a bit faster in the initial flight ( which is also believed to be Chucking many times ). I have personaly experienced that . Ok may be next time I ll put a Picture of my fore arm in this forum , and you can see the natural curve on my fore arm I mean it looks twisted just like Akhtar .(I am at job so Dont have a digi cam right now other wise gonna put the pic right away ) . I have bowled at good pace myself about 5 years ago and I was told by my team mates ( a stupid old club ) that I am a tund( a slang Punjabi word for legal chuking ) bowler ...... It depends on the Anotomy of your Upper body too . I mean that the proportion of weight of muscels in your body , It mainly depends upon the structure of Buns (lol, not joking) and the strength of the area around your neck .

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Makes sense.

A lot of the time, for me, fast bowlers are born and not made, no matter how much effort you put into every delivery off how much of a run up, some people can't get it past 100k, and others can wander in off four paces and bang it down there at 130+.

Grr..

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Son Of Coco said:
I think there's quite a few exceptions to the rule as far as using a normal action and generating serious pace goes - eg: see Lillee, Gillespie, Holding, Marshall, Garner, Ambrose, Walsh etc etc etc. I think a good action will generate some serious pace when it's combined with a normal amount of muscle and rhythm.
ye there r sorry lol, infact thinking about it more express pacers have the regular action as oppose to the slinging one.

deeps

International 12th Man
i've stood at slip whilst shoaib has bowled,and i've also faced dilhara fernando

fernando and shoaib were both bowling off a 5 step run up,and let me tell u, dilharo was QUICK and shoaib seemed quick,but not devastating.... faced 5 delievries from fernando before he dcided to take out my leg stump! the first 4 were brilliant deliverikes outside off stump,and if not for the shear pace,i would've edged it to the keeper who was also struggling..

most of the batsman handled shoaib comfortably,but i never got to face him

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Makes sense.

A lot of the time, for me, fast bowlers are born and not made, no matter how much effort you put into every delivery off how much of a run up, some people can't get it past 100k, and others can wander in off four paces and bang it down there at 130+.

Grr..
If you could make yourself fast, accurate, etc. then everyone who wanted to would do so.
It's fairly obvious that you can't.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
deeps said:
i've stood at slip whilst shoaib has bowled,and i've also faced dilhara fernando

fernando and shoaib were both bowling off a 5 step run up,and let me tell u, dilharo was QUICK and shoaib seemed quick,but not devastating.... faced 5 delievries from fernando before he dcided to take out my leg stump! the first 4 were brilliant deliverikes outside off stump,and if not for the shear pace,i would've edged it to the keeper who was also struggling..

most of the batsman handled shoaib comfortably,but i never got to face him

where did u play with dilahara and shoaib ???

deeps

International 12th Man
uwa...shoaib was doing his throwing tests etc. and i'm not exactly sure what dilhara was doing...it wasn't at the same time however

i play for the uwa team

FRAZ

International Captain
deeps said:
uwa...shoaib was doing his throwing tests etc. and i'm not exactly sure what dilhara was doing...it wasn't at the same time however

i play for the uwa team
Try to read a thread
"What if India had Shoaib Akhtar ?"
I dont have time to waste just for you to find the link ......