• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Benaud Equivalent XI

PommieMacGill

State Regular
As a previous thread has said currently in England on Channel 4 Richie Benaud is picking his 'XI' which he would like to represent him for entertainment reasons as well as ability. Well, it got me thinking and I came up with an XI that I would love to sit down and watch with a cool can of Coke in my hand. Have a look at mine and submit your own with reasons as to why you've picked each player.

1. Marvan ATAPATTU // Great technique, a lesson to watch him bat.
2. C.B FRY // Graceful strokemaker, and a great history behind him.
3. Don BRADMAN // The best batsmen ever? Stat's wise most certainly. I would love to see him play.
4. * Wally HAMMOND // Graceful batsmen, best slip fielder ever and a decent bowler.
5. Gilbert JESSOP // Apparently hit the ball cleaner than anyone in the history of the game. Also, a handy bowler. I would have loved to have watched him in his pomp.
6. Ian BOTHAM // Awesome to see him bat, and the same goes for his bowling.
7. + Les AMES // Brilliant batsmen and a very, very good wicketkeeper.
8. Wasim AKRAM // I loved watching him bowl, 'sultan of swing'. Entertaining to watch him bat when he was in his prime also.
9. Shane WARNE // Great bowler, both in ability terms and strategically.
10. Jeff THOMPSON // Slingy action, frightfully fast. Who doesn't like watching a seeringly Fast Bowler?
11. Jack IVERSON // Great story and background to the bloke and he was a great bowler as well. Innovative, would have loved to watch him bowl in tandem with Warney.

* - Captain
+ - Wicketkeeper

As mentioned before, it's a personal thing and this team is one I would love to see play together for entertainment reasons but also for technique and the many lessons that would be learned from watching them.

Leave yours below.

Cheers,

Lee

PommieMacGill

State Regular
Nope, as mentioned before. It's a personal thing, entertainment can be deemed any way you want. For me, I have enough batting entertainment with Botham and Jessop who could smack bowlers around the park. But I also have other Batsmen who would/do have entertained me, such as Atapattu. It is a lesson watching him bat because of his technique, it's masterful and for me it's entertaining to watch him. For others, maybe like yourself it may be different.

Just because I said that this team would be entertaining to watch it doesnt mean that swashbuckling players like Viv Richards should automatically be selected. You pick a team which would entertain you, if you like the swashbuckling players like Richards et al then include them in your team.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
My XI...

1. G Pollock // Hard to explain but I have a fascination with that South African side and he was a superb bat.
2. S Gavaskar // Brilliant batsman, superb technique. Great record too.
3. D Bradman // No reason needed I think
4. R Ponting // I could pretend to think of reasons, or I just be honest and say he's just my favourite cricketer.
5. G Sobers // Another one with no reason needed...
6. J Kallis // Another player I love to watch. Superb batsman, fluent strokeplay coupled with perfect defence. What more could you want?
7. S McCabe // If I was to go back in time to see one innings, it would be his 187*.
8. R Marsh // Even I don't know why hes here, I just like him.
9. M Marshall // One of the greats.
10. Ramadhin and Valentine // Ive always dreamt of seeing those two in action
11. W Younis // Always preffered him above Akram for some reason, a great bowler. Ingenious in so many ways, king of swing.

Thats mine. Yes I know the order is not great, I did it very rough. Thats not the point.

Swervy

International Captain
this is straight off the top of my head...

1. Gordon Greenidge
2. Micheal Slater
3. Don Bradman
4. Doug Walters
5. Derek Randall
6. Ian Botham
7. Rod Marsh
8. Richie Benaud
9. Lance Cairns
10. Mikey Holding
11. Dennis Lillee

this is subject to change...i think a pretty entertaining and yet pretty strong line up

a massive zebra

International Captain
A Squad of 15

Victor Trumper - im surprised no one has mentioned him
Jack Hobbs - a great opening batsman
Don Bradman - no reason needed
Brian Lara - the most talented batsman of the last 15 years
K.S. Ranjitsinhji - the first great indian, a joy to watch
Garry Sobers - amazing batsman, good bowler and slip fielder
Adam Gilchrist - phenomenal hitting
Gilbert Jessop - the most aggressive batsman ever, scored faster than gilchrist, the greatest fielder of his day and no mean bowler
Malcolm Marshall - the most complete and best fast bowler ever
Muttiah Muralitharan - controversial but the best spinner ever imo
Sydney Barnes - the greatest of all bowlers
Jonty Rhodes - stunning fielder
Richard Hadlee - the pinnacle of rhythum, swing and accuracy
W G Grace - the first truely great player
Jim Laker - 19 wickets at old Trafford in 1956 and 8-2 against the rest in 1950

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
1) Gavasker: great temperament, technique and style
2) Haydon: those big powerful strokes are a joy to see
3) tendulkar: he's my fave player so i had to make room for him lol
4) Brian Lara: when in top form he's AWESOME to watch making batting look more like poetry
5) jonty rhodes: great to watch him field
6) +Gilchrist: he's my favourite player to watch bat and not bad behind the stumps
7) Chris Cairns: great entertainer with a bat and ball
8) wasim: great bowler n could do some big htting so hes in lol
9) Courtney Walsh: great to watch him bowl
10) MURALI: out f sheer enjoyment of watching him bowl and the extra fun of watching him shout at someone if they misfield :D
11) Waqar: great to watch him bowl those toe crunchers

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
A Squad of 15

Victor Trumper - im surprised no one has mentioned him
Jack Hobbs - a great opening batsman
Don Bradman - no reason needed
Brian Lara - the most talented batsman of the last 15 years
K.S. Ranjitsinhji - the first great indian, a joy to watch
Garry Sobers - amazing batsman, good bowler and slip fielder
Adam Gilchrist - phenomenal hitting
Gilbert Jessop - the most aggressive batsman ever, scored faster than gilchrist, the greatest fielder of his day and no mean bowler
Malcolm Marshall - the most complete and best fast bowler ever
Muttiah Muralitharan - controversial but the best spinner ever imo
Sydney Barnes - the greatest of all bowlers
Jonty Rhodes - stunning fielder
Richard Hadlee - the pinnacle of rhythum, swing and accuracy
W G Grace - the first truely great player
Jim Laker - 19 wickets at old Trafford in 1956 and 8-2 against the rest in 1950
No Viv Richards ;)

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Nobody here can say 'No Viv Richards?' because this is a personal opinion XI and not entirely based on skill...

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Since this is just personal liking, I wouldn't raise the the question that Tendulkar was missing in almost all but one side so far (:p, don't point out the irony :D)
Anyway, I can only pick the ones I hv seen, or ones who are very very well reputed

Virender Sehwag
Sunil Gavaskar
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist (w.k)
Kapil Dev (c)
Malcolm Marshall
Curtley Ambrose
Mutthiah Muralitharan

Maybe there is a bit of Indian bias there, but *meh* it's my choice afterall :)
Of this lot, I only haven't seen Marshall and Richards, but their reputation is enough for me to pick them ..

FRAZ

International Captain
delkap said:
Since this is just personal liking, I wouldn't raise the the question that Tendulkar was missing in almost all but one side so far (:p, don't point out the irony :D)
Anyway, I can only pick the ones I hv seen, or ones who are very very well reputed
Virender Sehwag (I dont agree)
Sunil Gavaskar (I agree )
Rahul Dravid ( I ll prefer Lara)
Sachin Tendulkar ( I agree)
Viv Richards( I agree)
Andrew Flintoff (Kallis for sure)
Adam Gilchrist (w.k) (I agree )
Kapil Dev (c) (Botham , Imran , Headly were way better and as a captain then Imran )
Malcolm Marshall ( I definately agree)
Curtley Ambrose ( Wasim or Shoaib Akhtar)
Mutthiah Muralitharan

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
My current "good-to-watch" XI would be:

M Vaughan
H Gibbs
R Dravid
B Lara
R Ponting
VVS Laxman
+K Sangakkara
S Warne
C Vaas
J Gillespie
M Muralitharan

For an all time XI, I'd try to fit in Trumper, Sobers, Botham, Holding, Wasim, M Waugh, etc
Maybe even Viv Richards. :D