• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Burning bunny destroys cricket equipment

Swervy

International Captain
from cricinfo.....

Wisden Cricinfo staff

August 13, 2004

Cricket equipment worth around £60,000 has been destroyed after a rabbit, caught in a bonfire, ran out with its tail on fire and set light to a storage shed in Devizes in Wiltshire.

Two groundsmen had just lit a pile of leaves and branches when the rabbit shot out, tail ablaze, and bolted into a shed containing mowers, wheelbarrows and other pitch-care equipment belonging to the 150-year-old Devizes CC. John Bedbrook, their chairman, told Reuters: "After it had been going five minutes, the rabbit shot out of the bonfire on fire and went into the hut which is our equipment store."

The fire brigade was called, but two fire engines - and 11 firemen - could not save the shed or its contents. There was no sign of the rabbit, either, which is presumed to have gone up in flames too. The Devizes fire-station commander, Philip Flowers, said that in 22 years he had never fought a fire caused by a burning animal before. "We're 99% confident it was the rabbit that caused the fire," he said. "It was either burnt to a cinder or it escaped through a small hole in the corner of the shed - but I imagine it perished and went to bunny heaven."

The BBC website blamed a "Hot cross bunny" for the blaze.

PY

International Coach
I heard it was an illegal immigrant Australian bunny. They're worried about the Ashes. ;)

PY

International Coach
PY said:
I heard it was an illegal immigrant Australian bunny. They're worried about the Ashes. ;)
Sorry that joke was in bad taste folks. Yet I can't bring myself to delete it. :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
The BBC website blamed a "Hot cross bunny" for the blaze.
No surprises there, then? 8-)
That one's been done to death (no pun intended), how can they possibly keep using it and expect people to take it without massive groans?

Craig

World Traveller
PY said:
Sorry that joke was in bad taste folks. Yet I can't bring myself to delete it. :(
Ah come on admit it, you have taken after Neil in the anti-Australianism :D :p :laugh:

Not that I am stopping you since I'm not Australian.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW, this really should have been posted in the Humour Forum.
Though I doubt the club will see anything funny about it, I can't help feeling that most others will.