Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Richie Benauds All Time Team

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks

Richie Benauds All Time Team

For those of you who cant watch Channel 4 in the UK, Richie Benaud is compiling (or probably already has, just keeping us all on tenterhooks!!!!)an all time greatest XI team.

His critea is based on the team HE would like to play for him, based on talent, entertainment.

His team is contructed as follows:
    2 openers, 3 middle order batsmen,2 allrounders a wicketkeeper and 3 bowlers (presumably 1 spinner and 2 quicks)

so far he has chosen as follows:

1 Jack Hobbs
    2 Sunil Gavaskar
    3 Don Bradman
    4 Viv Richards
    5 Sachin Tendulkar

His allrounders are to be chosen from Botham,Hadlee,Dev,Imran,Sobers and Miller

His keepers are from Healy,Gilchrist and Marsh

Dont know who the bowlers will be.

These types of things normally start a bit of discussion.

For me the allrounders have to be Botham and Sobers and keeper probably Healy
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

U19 Debutant
    for me all rounders to be imran and botham, keeper to be gilchrist
    Best batsman = Rahul Dravid
    Best bowler = Muttiah Muralitharan

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Allrounders Sobers and Imran, wicketkeeper Gilchrist. Hammond should have been in, otherwise I agree so far.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    Allrounders Sobers and Imran, wicketkeeper Gilchrist. Hammond should have been in, otherwise I agree so far.
    hammond, in place of who???

Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    hammond, in place of who???
    Why not? As good a batsman as either of them, probably the best slip fielder ever (with Bob Simpson and Mark Waugh), and a better bowler than either of them. I see no reason for his non-selection other than bias towards more modern players with people not wanting to select players they have not seen. On ability alone he's a certainty for me.

P.S. He played at a similar time to Hobbs, who is in. He had a better average at both first-class and Test level and was a much better bowler and fielder than the Surrey man.

U19 Debutant
    who do people think the bowlers will be? ill put mcgrath, wasim, murali and warne in there

Why not? As good a batsman as either of them, probably the best slip fielder ever (with Bob Simpson and Mark Waugh), and a better bowler than either of them. I see no reason for his non-selection other than bias towards more modern players with people not wanting to select players they have not seen. On ability alone he's a certainty for me.

P.S. He played at a similar time to Hobbs, who is in. He had a better average at both first-class and Test level and was a much better bowler and fielder than the Surrey man.
    hey I am not questioning your choice, I was just wondering who you would have him instead of

Quote Originally Posted by Hit4Six
    who do people think the bowlers will be? ill put mcgrath, wasim, murali and warne in there
    well i reckon Benaud will have Lillee,Marshall,Warne in there (only 3 places left)

U19 Debutant
    o ye bout the 3 places, in that case: mcgrath, wasim, murali

Eggs Champion!
    hey I am not questioning your choice, I was just wondering who you would have him instead of
    Well this is my team

J Hobbs
    S Gavaskar
    D Bradman (cpt)
    S Tendulkar
    W Hammond
    G Sobers
    A Gilchrist (wk)
    Imran Khan
    M Marshall
    M Muralitharan
    S Barnes

Eggs Champion!
    I think Lillee is overrated. There is no doubt he has a world-class bowler but a lot of people place him as the most complete and best fast bowler ever. In reality he was outstanding but not complete, he was less effective against left-handers and not as good as some at running through the tail due to the lack of a good yorker. As a matter of fact Lillee had his off days and McGrath is a far more reliable fast bowler. Please note im not questioning his status as a great bowler, just think he is overrated and not the very best. IMO Marshall is the best paceman ever, closely followed by Hadlee.

Eggs Champion!
    well i reckon Benaud will have Lillee,Marshall,Warne in there (only 3 places left)
    You might be right there.

I think Lillee is overrated. There is no doubt he has a world-class bowler but a lot of people place him as the most complete and best fast bowler ever. In reality he was outstanding but not complete, he was less effective against left-handers and not as good as some at running through the tail due to the lack of a good yorker. As a matter of fact Lillee had his off days and McGrath is a far more reliable fast bowler. Please note im not questioning his status as a great bowler, just think he is overrated and not the very best. IMO Marshall is the best paceman ever, closely followed by Hadlee.

mmmm..well I dont know about all that...Lillee was outstanding, he had true control of ball movement in a way I have only ever seen Hadlee have (and Marshall possibly as well)...I think most batsmen throughout history would prefer to face McGrath than Lillee in his prime.

Was Lillee not that good against tailenders????

Eggs Champion!
    mmmm..well I dont know about all that...Lillee was outstanding, he had true control of ball movement in a way I have only ever seen Hadlee have (and Marshall possibly as well)...I think most batsmen throughout history would prefer to face McGrath than Lillee in his prime.

Was Lillee not that good against tailenders????
    Well of the batsmen Lillee dismissed most often the vast majority are top order players (yes that is good in a way). It was Lillee's very own keeper Marsh who admitted Lillee was not the best at running through the tail. Whether people would rather face Lillee or McGrath at their best is debatable, the fact is McGrath is far more reliable, has less off days, and takes his wickets more cheaply despite playing in a higher scoring era. Also, if you have a look at their PWC ratings over their careers, McGrath is ahead of Lillee far more often than the other way round.

Benaud will pick Lillee, no doubt, as would most people, and for that reason he is overrated. His stature as a world class bowler cannot be denied, his place as the very best certainly can.
    Last edited by a massive zebra; 13-08-2004 at 12:55 PM.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar

Yeah as he opened precisley 5 times in 140 innings i dont think he can be considered an opener

I would have Pollock at 4, a left hander to mix things up
    Last edited by superkingdave; 13-08-2004 at 01:15 PM.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information