Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 107

Thread: Richie Benauds All Time Team

  1. #1
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360

    Richie Benauds All Time Team

    For those of you who cant watch Channel 4 in the UK, Richie Benaud is compiling (or probably already has, just keeping us all on tenterhooks!!!!)an all time greatest XI team.

    His critea is based on the team HE would like to play for him, based on talent, entertainment.

    His team is contructed as follows:
    2 openers, 3 middle order batsmen,2 allrounders a wicketkeeper and 3 bowlers (presumably 1 spinner and 2 quicks)

    so far he has chosen as follows:

    1 Jack Hobbs
    2 Sunil Gavaskar
    3 Don Bradman
    4 Viv Richards
    5 Sachin Tendulkar

    His allrounders are to be chosen from Botham,Hadlee,Dev,Imran,Sobers and Miller

    His keepers are from Healy,Gilchrist and Marsh

    Dont know who the bowlers will be.


    These types of things normally start a bit of discussion.

    For me the allrounders have to be Botham and Sobers and keeper probably Healy
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  2. #2
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    My bedroom
    Posts
    331
    for me all rounders to be imran and botham, keeper to be gilchrist
    Best batsman = Rahul Dravid
    Best bowler = Muttiah Muralitharan

  3. #3
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,802
    Allrounders Sobers and Imran, wicketkeeper Gilchrist. Hammond should have been in, otherwise I agree so far.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  4. #4
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    Allrounders Sobers and Imran, wicketkeeper Gilchrist. Hammond should have been in, otherwise I agree so far.
    hammond, in place of who???


  5. #5
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    hammond, in place of who???
    Why not? As good a batsman as either of them, probably the best slip fielder ever (with Bob Simpson and Mark Waugh), and a better bowler than either of them. I see no reason for his non-selection other than bias towards more modern players with people not wanting to select players they have not seen. On ability alone he's a certainty for me.

    P.S. He played at a similar time to Hobbs, who is in. He had a better average at both first-class and Test level and was a much better bowler and fielder than the Surrey man.

  6. #6
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    My bedroom
    Posts
    331
    who do people think the bowlers will be? ill put mcgrath, wasim, murali and warne in there

  7. #7
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    Why not? As good a batsman as either of them, probably the best slip fielder ever (with Bob Simpson and Mark Waugh), and a better bowler than either of them. I see no reason for his non-selection other than bias towards more modern players with people not wanting to select players they have not seen. On ability alone he's a certainty for me.

    P.S. He played at a similar time to Hobbs, who is in. He had a better average at both first-class and Test level and was a much better bowler and fielder than the Surrey man.
    hey I am not questioning your choice, I was just wondering who you would have him instead of

  8. #8
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit4Six
    who do people think the bowlers will be? ill put mcgrath, wasim, murali and warne in there
    well i reckon Benaud will have Lillee,Marshall,Warne in there (only 3 places left)

  9. #9
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    My bedroom
    Posts
    331
    o ye bout the 3 places, in that case: mcgrath, wasim, murali

  10. #10
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    hey I am not questioning your choice, I was just wondering who you would have him instead of
    Well this is my team

    J Hobbs
    S Gavaskar
    D Bradman (cpt)
    S Tendulkar
    W Hammond
    G Sobers
    A Gilchrist (wk)
    Imran Khan
    M Marshall
    M Muralitharan
    S Barnes

  11. #11
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,802
    I think Lillee is overrated. There is no doubt he has a world-class bowler but a lot of people place him as the most complete and best fast bowler ever. In reality he was outstanding but not complete, he was less effective against left-handers and not as good as some at running through the tail due to the lack of a good yorker. As a matter of fact Lillee had his off days and McGrath is a far more reliable fast bowler. Please note im not questioning his status as a great bowler, just think he is overrated and not the very best. IMO Marshall is the best paceman ever, closely followed by Hadlee.

  12. #12
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    well i reckon Benaud will have Lillee,Marshall,Warne in there (only 3 places left)
    You might be right there.

  13. #13
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    I think Lillee is overrated. There is no doubt he has a world-class bowler but a lot of people place him as the most complete and best fast bowler ever. In reality he was outstanding but not complete, he was less effective against left-handers and not as good as some at running through the tail due to the lack of a good yorker. As a matter of fact Lillee had his off days and McGrath is a far more reliable fast bowler. Please note im not questioning his status as a great bowler, just think he is overrated and not the very best. IMO Marshall is the best paceman ever, closely followed by Hadlee.

    mmmm..well I dont know about all that...Lillee was outstanding, he had true control of ball movement in a way I have only ever seen Hadlee have (and Marshall possibly as well)...I think most batsmen throughout history would prefer to face McGrath than Lillee in his prime.

    Was Lillee not that good against tailenders????

  14. #14
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    mmmm..well I dont know about all that...Lillee was outstanding, he had true control of ball movement in a way I have only ever seen Hadlee have (and Marshall possibly as well)...I think most batsmen throughout history would prefer to face McGrath than Lillee in his prime.

    Was Lillee not that good against tailenders????
    Well of the batsmen Lillee dismissed most often the vast majority are top order players (yes that is good in a way). It was Lillee's very own keeper Marsh who admitted Lillee was not the best at running through the tail. Whether people would rather face Lillee or McGrath at their best is debatable, the fact is McGrath is far more reliable, has less off days, and takes his wickets more cheaply despite playing in a higher scoring era. Also, if you have a look at their PWC ratings over their careers, McGrath is ahead of Lillee far more often than the other way round.

    Benaud will pick Lillee, no doubt, as would most people, and for that reason he is overrated. His stature as a world class bowler cannot be denied, his place as the very best certainly can.
    Last edited by a massive zebra; 13-08-2004 at 12:55 PM.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    18,895
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra

    P.S. He played at a similar time to Hobbs, who is in. He had a better average at both first-class and Test level and was a much better bowler and fielder than the Surrey man.
    Yeah as he opened precisley 5 times in 140 innings i dont think he can be considered an opener

    I would have Pollock at 4, a left hander to mix things up
    Last edited by superkingdave; 13-08-2004 at 01:15 PM.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 201
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
  2. All Time Pak XII vs All Time Ind XII
    By JBH001 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 05:12 PM
  3. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 22-04-2004, 05:45 AM
  4. 'Yossarian Lives!' - The Cricket Team Part I
    By Top_Cat in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-07-2002, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •