• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richie Benauds All Time Team

Swervy

International Captain
For those of you who cant watch Channel 4 in the UK, Richie Benaud is compiling (or probably already has, just keeping us all on tenterhooks!!!!)an all time greatest XI team.

His critea is based on the team HE would like to play for him, based on talent, entertainment.

His team is contructed as follows:
2 openers, 3 middle order batsmen,2 allrounders a wicketkeeper and 3 bowlers (presumably 1 spinner and 2 quicks)

so far he has chosen as follows:

1 Jack Hobbs
2 Sunil Gavaskar
3 Don Bradman
4 Viv Richards
5 Sachin Tendulkar

His allrounders are to be chosen from Botham,Hadlee,Dev,Imran,Sobers and Miller

His keepers are from Healy,Gilchrist and Marsh

Dont know who the bowlers will be.

These types of things normally start a bit of discussion.

For me the allrounders have to be Botham and Sobers and keeper probably Healy

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Allrounders Sobers and Imran, wicketkeeper Gilchrist. Hammond should have been in, otherwise I agree so far.
hammond, in place of who???

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
Why not? As good a batsman as either of them, probably the best slip fielder ever (with Bob Simpson and Mark Waugh), and a better bowler than either of them. I see no reason for his non-selection other than bias towards more modern players with people not wanting to select players they have not seen. On ability alone he's a certainty for me.

P.S. He played at a similar time to Hobbs, who is in. He had a better average at both first-class and Test level and was a much better bowler and fielder than the Surrey man.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Why not? As good a batsman as either of them, probably the best slip fielder ever (with Bob Simpson and Mark Waugh), and a better bowler than either of them. I see no reason for his non-selection other than bias towards more modern players with people not wanting to select players they have not seen. On ability alone he's a certainty for me.

P.S. He played at a similar time to Hobbs, who is in. He had a better average at both first-class and Test level and was a much better bowler and fielder than the Surrey man.
hey I am not questioning your choice, I was just wondering who you would have him instead of

Swervy

International Captain
Hit4Six said:
who do people think the bowlers will be? ill put mcgrath, wasim, murali and warne in there
well i reckon Benaud will have Lillee,Marshall,Warne in there (only 3 places left)

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
hey I am not questioning your choice, I was just wondering who you would have him instead of
Well this is my team

J Hobbs
S Gavaskar
D Bradman (cpt)
S Tendulkar
W Hammond
G Sobers
A Gilchrist (wk)
Imran Khan
M Marshall
M Muralitharan
S Barnes

a massive zebra

International Captain
I think Lillee is overrated. There is no doubt he has a world-class bowler but a lot of people place him as the most complete and best fast bowler ever. In reality he was outstanding but not complete, he was less effective against left-handers and not as good as some at running through the tail due to the lack of a good yorker. As a matter of fact Lillee had his off days and McGrath is a far more reliable fast bowler. Please note im not questioning his status as a great bowler, just think he is overrated and not the very best. IMO Marshall is the best paceman ever, closely followed by Hadlee.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
I think Lillee is overrated. There is no doubt he has a world-class bowler but a lot of people place him as the most complete and best fast bowler ever. In reality he was outstanding but not complete, he was less effective against left-handers and not as good as some at running through the tail due to the lack of a good yorker. As a matter of fact Lillee had his off days and McGrath is a far more reliable fast bowler. Please note im not questioning his status as a great bowler, just think he is overrated and not the very best. IMO Marshall is the best paceman ever, closely followed by Hadlee.

mmmm..well I dont know about all that...Lillee was outstanding, he had true control of ball movement in a way I have only ever seen Hadlee have (and Marshall possibly as well)...I think most batsmen throughout history would prefer to face McGrath than Lillee in his prime.

Was Lillee not that good against tailenders????

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
mmmm..well I dont know about all that...Lillee was outstanding, he had true control of ball movement in a way I have only ever seen Hadlee have (and Marshall possibly as well)...I think most batsmen throughout history would prefer to face McGrath than Lillee in his prime.

Was Lillee not that good against tailenders????
Well of the batsmen Lillee dismissed most often the vast majority are top order players (yes that is good in a way). It was Lillee's very own keeper Marsh who admitted Lillee was not the best at running through the tail. Whether people would rather face Lillee or McGrath at their best is debatable, the fact is McGrath is far more reliable, has less off days, and takes his wickets more cheaply despite playing in a higher scoring era. Also, if you have a look at their PWC ratings over their careers, McGrath is ahead of Lillee far more often than the other way round.

Benaud will pick Lillee, no doubt, as would most people, and for that reason he is overrated. His stature as a world class bowler cannot be denied, his place as the very best certainly can.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
Yeah as he opened precisley 5 times in 140 innings i dont think he can be considered an opener

I would have Pollock at 4, a left hander to mix things up

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Well it is his team!!He can be as biased as he wants just so long it's not too ridiculous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
IMO to compare Hammond to Richards and Tendulkar is an insult to Hammond.
I cannot conceive any reasons why Richards and Tendulkar, who average lower than him anyway, could be considered better given relative pitch conditions. He was also surely a better looking player.
Still, I can see why Richie would "like" Richards and Tendulkar more. I don't think he ever watched Hammond, if so only an occasional match.