• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richie Benauds All Time Team

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
I respect peoples opinions etc...but there is no way Wasim was better than Lillee or espeicailly Hadlee.

Oh and Wasim wasnt that good with the bat either
RJ Hadlee 86 21918 809 9611 431 22.29 9-52 36 9 50.8 2.63
Wasim Akram 104 22627 871 9779 414 23.62 7-119 25 5 54.6 2.59
DK Lillee 70 18467 652 8493 355 23.92 7-83 23 7 52.0 2.75

Hadlee is obviously the best of the three because he managed to perform so well with little support, and unlike Lillee, and to a lesser extent Wasim, he never had a bad patch after his first 20 matches. He was also a more consistent batter than Wasim.

Wasim was more consistent than Lillee and took his wickets more cheaply despite playing in a higher scoring era, but Lillee took 5-fors and 10-fors on a more regular basis. It is fair to say they were pretty even - Lillee at his best was the more dangerous but Wasim was more reliable. If you add batting into the equation it is obvious that Wasim was the better of the two overall.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
RJ Hadlee 86 21918 809 9611 431 22.29 9-52 36 9 50.8 2.63
Wasim Akram 104 22627 871 9779 414 23.62 7-119 25 5 54.6 2.59
DK Lillee 70 18467 652 8493 355 23.92 7-83 23 7 52.0 2.75

Hadlee is obviously the best of the three because he managed to perform so well with little support, and unlike Lillee, and to a lesser extent Wasim, he never had a bad patch after his first 20 matches. He was also a more consistent batter than Wasim.

Wasim was more consistent than Lillee and took his wickets more cheaply despite playing in a higher scoring era, but Lillee took 5-fors and 10-fors on a more regular basis. It is fair to say they were pretty even - Lillee at his best was the more dangerous but Wasim was more reliable. If you add batting into the equation it is obvious that Wasim was the better of the two overall.
its a rather simplistic way of looking at it...no-one is going to choose between lillee or wasim on batting, why would you, we would be looking for who the best opening bowler would be,and you go with your best bowler in that situation.

I dont really know why averages are so overwhelmingly important to some people. Having seen both players (Lillee and Wasim), I dont need averages to tell me that Lillee was the better bowler...but if we must play the statistics game, so be it.

The role of the opening bowler is to take wickets as quickly as possible and in as high a volume as possible.

Lillees strike rate is better,and also wickets per test is far superior for Lillee compared to Wasim (5.07 compared to 3.98).

The difference between the two averages (0.3 in favour of Wasim) is negligible.

But what about each players performance vs the best team in the world, the West Indies when Lillee was playing, and the West indies and then Australia for Wasim.

In 75/76 Lillee was instumental helping Australia destroy WI 5-1. He was also outstanding vs WI in 1980 and in 81/82..also have a look at his performances vs Rest Of The world in the early 70's,and also during the WSC in the late 70's,he was performing well vs the very best players in the world

Wasim had one outstanding series vs the best in the world WI's in 90/91,and vs the world best Australians (mid 90's onwards) he didnt really consistantly pull out great performances (he had 2 very good games vs Australia in that time, other than that he did nothing of note).

So Lillee perform vs the best teams in the world better than Wasim did....

But really, all you had to do was watch Lillee bowl and you would have seen how good he was

Swervy

International Captain
for anyone who hasnt seen it..here is Richies final All time XI

Benaud's Greatest XI

1 Jack Hobbs,
2 Sunil Gavaskar,
3 Don Bradman,
4 Sachin Tendulkar,
5 Viv Richards,
6 Imran Khan,
7 Garfield Sobers,
8 Adam Gilchrist,
9 Shane Warne,
10 Sydney Barnes,
11 Dennis Lillee.

I think he had Keith Miller as 12th man

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Very strong batting there, but a bit light on the bowling front IMO.
Imran Khan, Shane Warne, Sydney Barnes, Dennis Lillee

and to back up Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Garfield Sobers,

not looks bad to me

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I'd say the bowling is very strong.

Lillee (one of the all time greats IMO)
Warne (the all time great spinner IMO)
Barnes (not sure, but he ain't a bad SM!)
Imran (very very good)
Sobers (not amazing, but could bowl everything)

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
Imran Khan, Shane Warne, Sydney Barnes, Dennis Lillee

and to back up Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Garfield Sobers,

not looks bad to me

mmmmm :huh: ,,, I know they can/could bowl a bit...bit to lump them in there with a bowler who took well over 200 tests wickets(Sobers) is a bit much..I dont think you would really need the likes of Richards or Tendulkar to bowl with those bowlers, do you

a massive zebra

International Captain
IMO his team should have been.

Jack Hobbs
Sunny Gavaskar
Don Bradman (cpt)
Sachin Tendulkar
Walter Hammond
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Imran Khan
Malcolm Marshall
Muttiah Muralitharan
Sydney Barnes

Don Bradman and Garry Sobers pick themselves.

Jack Hobbs was the world's best batsman for years scoring runs all over the world phenomenally consistently. Don Bradman said he was the most complete player he had ever seen (he saw a few!!), and in terms of percentage of innings over 10, he was the most consistent Test batsman ever.

Sunil Gavaskar was the pre-eminent opening batsman in world cricket for years, and was one of the the few batsmen to get on top of the mighty West Indies bowlers (2749 runs @ 65.45 against them with 13 centuries).

Walter Hammond should be in. A greater batsman than Richards, probably the best slip fielder ever (with Bob Simpson and Mark Waugh), and a better bowler than Richards. I see no reason for his non-selection other than bias towards more modern players with people not wanting to select players they have not seen. On ability alone he's a certainty for me. IMO to compare Hammond to Richards and Tendulkar is an insult to Hammond.

I cannot conceive any reasons why Richards and Tendulkar, who average lower than him anyway, could be considered better given relative pitch conditions. He was also surely a better looking player.

Still, I can see why Richie would "like" Richards and Tendulkar more. I don't think he ever watched Hammond, if so only an occasional match.

I'd not say Viv Richards was a certainty, though, far from it - IMO there have been plenty of better West Indian batsmen.He dominated weak attacks like England and India, while his record against the high quality Pakistan and New Zealand lineups is not worthy of an all-time great. Also he never had to face the mighty West Indian bowlers.

Sachin Tendulkar has been the world's premier batsman for a decade or so and averages over 50 home and away, and against Australia. Dravid might be more reliable now but Tendulkar proved himself over a much longer period.

Adam Gilchrist is almost certainly the best wicketkeeper-batsman ever and 30 extra runs is more useful than saving a few byes or occasionally a dropped catch. Purely on keeping Don Tallon or Bob Taylor would be in contention.

As captain, Imran Khan probably reached heights never achieved by any other allrounder ever. With 2408 runs at 52.34 and 163 wickets at 19.20, it could be argued that he was both their best batsman and bowler, all at once.

Mutthiah Muralitharan is obviously better than Warne. Warne has failed dismally against the best players of spin – India (29 wickets at 55.44). Murali has done far better against them (51 wickets at 32.94).

Murali has a better average, strike rate, economy rate, and takes more wickets per match than Warne; despite the fact that Warne has not had to play against the world's best team.

Mat O M R W Ave Best 5wi 10w SR Econ
Murali 90 5120.4 1366 11998 527 22.76 9-51 44 13 58.2 2.34
Warne 112 5248.2 1478 13425 527 25.47 8-71 27 8 59.7 2.55

Murali has a better record against all countries, except Pakistan.

Murali is far more consistent. Warne has been known to be hit around occasionally and although Murali has previously been nullified to a degree, he has never been smashed around the park.

Warne
45 7 150 1 3.33 3rd Test v Ind in Aus 1991/92 at Sydney
22 2 107 0 4.86 1st Test v SL in SL 1992 at Colombo (SSC)
30 7 122 1 4.07 1st Test v Ind in Ind 1997/98 at Chennai
42 4 147 0 3.50 2nd Test v Ind in Ind 1997/98 at Kolkata
15.5 2 70 1 4.42 3rd Test v WI in WI 1998/99 at Bridgetown
13 1 60 0 4.62 3rd Test v Ind in Aus 1999/00 at Sydney
34 3 152 1 4.47 2nd Test v Ind in Ind 2000/01 at Kolkata
30 6 108 2 3.60 3rd Test v SA in SA 2001/02 at Durban

Warne is part of a stronger bowling attack. If Warne was of equal ability to Murali he would take less wickets per match than Murali (because there are four good bowlers competing for wickets), but would have a lower average and strike rate (because greater pressure is put on the batsman by bowlers at the other end). Murali takes more wickets per match and has a lower average and strike rate.

Warne takes a lot of his wickets against the same batsman, whereas Murali takes more of a variety. A high proportion of Warne's test wickets are numbers 10 and 11 in the batting order; Murali does well against all batting positions. What’s the point in Warne taking the wickets of Nehra or Walsh game after game, if he cannot trouble Tendulkar, Dravid or Lara?

Although Warne has been less effective since his shoulder injury, even at his peak (1993-97) he was not as good as Murali has been this century.

Murali 2000-2003 37 2347.3 684 4990 258 19.34 9-51 22 10 54.5 2.13
Warne 1993-97 57 2876.5 938 6457 277 23.31 8-71 11 3 62.3 2.24

You could take a look at their respective records in the English county championship:

Murali 19 1049.1 322 2195 149 14.73 7-39 17 6 42.2 2.09
Warne 24 962.5 259 2682 113 23.73 6-34 8 0 52.7 2.69

One reason why Warne is rated so highly is Gatting’s reaction to the so called “ball of the century.” The shock that that ball sent through the cricketing world was immense because it was thought no one else could bowl that delivery. Actually, Warne was not the only one to bowl such a delivery in recent years, Abdul Qadir had bowled the same delivery a few years earlier, it just wasn’t highlighted at the time because it wasn't on such a big stage. Murali bowled similar balls which were every bit as good to both Sadgapan Ramesh and Mark Butcher a few years ago.

Murali was recently voted the best bowler ever in an objective Wisden analysis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/2572069.stm

I think Lillee is overrated. In reality, he was an outstanding but far from complete fast bowler, he was less effective against left-handers and not as good as some at running through the tail due to the lack of a good yorker. As a matter of fact Lillee had his off days and McGrath is a far more reliable fast bowler. Please note im not questioning his status as a great bowler, just think he is overrated and not the very best. Lillee's stats are less impressive than McGrath even though he played in a lower scoring era, and McGrath is the rarely thought of as the very best fast bowler. IMO Malcolm Marshall is the best paceman ever, closely followed by Hadlee.

Sydney Barnes only played against Australia and South Africa but almost everyone who saw him thought he was the best bowler they had ever seen. On a perfect wicket Barnes could swing the new ball in and out very late, could spin from the ground, pitch on the leg stump and miss the off. Barnes was creative, one of the first bowlers really to use the seam of a new ball and combine swing so subtly with spin that few batsmen could distinguish one from the other. At Melbourne, in December 1911, Barnes in five overs dismissed Australia's five best batsmen for a single. At his very best, between 1910 and 1914, he was frequently unplayable, and during this time took an astonishing 122 wickets at 14.08. Also, 24 5-fors is more than many great bowlers manage in a career, despite playing 4 times as many matches.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
a massive zebra said:
Mutthiah Muralitharan is obviously better than Warne. Warne has failed dismally against the best players of spin – India (29 wickets at 55.44). Murali has done far better against them (51 wickets at 32.94).

Murali has a better average, strike rate, economy rate, and takes more wickets per match than Warne; despite the fact that Warne has not had to play against the world's best team.

The team selected was for the last century and thus Warne has pipped Murali. Even Wisden had selected Warne as of its five cricketers of the century.

Marshall should be there in any all time world XI IMO. Hadlee too might make my all time XI though not totally sure.

Gilchrist would also always be in my all time XI as well as he is the best keeper batsman ever.. more valuable than being the best keeper of all time

a massive zebra

International Captain
Pratyush said:
The team selected was for the last century and thus Warne has pipped Murali. Even Wisden had selected Warne as of its five cricketers of the century.
It was Benaud's greatest XI, so that does not necessarily mean just last century. Warne did outperform Murali in the 20th century but he was selected as one of the five cricketers of the century more for his influence on the game, commercial success and ability to charm than his actual exploits on the field. People like Marshall, Barnes and Hadlee were far more proficient and successful bowlers.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Marshall should be there in any all time world XI IMO. Hadlee too might make my all time XI though not totally sure.

Gilchrist would also always be in my all time XI as well as he is the best keeper batsman ever.. more valuable than being the best keeper of all time
Couldn't agree more.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
a massive zebra said:
It was Benaud's greatest XI, so that does not necessarily mean just last century. Warne did outperform Murali in the 20th century but he was selected as one of the five cricketers of the century more for his influence on the game, commercial success and ability to charm than his actual exploits on the field. People like Marshall, Barnes and Hadlee were far more proficient and successful bowlers.

From cricinfo - Richie Benaud, the former Australian captain and current doyen of television commentators, has named his World XI of the 20th century.

http://ind.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/AUG/030058_WCI_23AUG2004.html

If you are chosing the greatest team of the 20th century, Warne has to pip Murali.

Apart from the influence Warne had on the game, and on reviving the art of spin, the reason he was Warne was indeed regarded as the best leg spinner by most people and most voters in the panel were Englishmen :D

Nedved's Fan

Cricket Spectator
I think a team from the post 70's era would thrash a team from the pre-70's era. The intensity and professionalism would be too much. The standards have risen too high.

In short, Hobbs would be screwed against Garner.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
I just bought Richie Benaud's All time XI DVD

His team is

Gavaskar and Hobbs

Bradman

Richards

Tendulkar

Sobers

Imran Khan

Adam Gilchrist

Shane Warne

Dennis Lillee

Sydney Barnes...

found it quite surprising he didn't have any of the famous Windies pace battery...

IMHO it should have read - Gavaskar and Hobbs |Bradman | Viv |Tendulkar |Sobers |Khan |Gilchrist|Marshall | Lillee | Warne... 12th man - Garner 13th - Mcgrath/Trueman..

ps. my personal opinion is that I do not rate Muralitharan, he throws the ball...my two cents :D

Adam Gilchrist deserves to be in there, and Richie's argument is strong enough supporting him, Gilly is amongst the cleanest strikers of the ball in the history of the game, his batting average is simply too good compared to the rest , while his wicketkeeping isn't bad either...he's awesome against pace bowling, equally good against medium pacers and good against the spinners.

I also agree that Imran Khan gets ahead of Botham, Miller...Imran was an inspirational genius, he made a team out of a Pakistan that had never made its mark in cricket before. His reverse swing, pace bowling, batting, captaincy and boost given to Pakistan are the reasons.

Finally I must say the DVD was awesome and great to watch!

I get a feeling that Richie prefers intelligent bowlers who have a plan of action before hand rather than bowlers like Waseem, Holding who'd try they're tricks during the course of the game and not always succeed. His selection actually makes sense, considering Imran Khan too was one helluva pace bowler.

ps. actually PWC would agree with Benauds choice.

Last edited:

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
I just find it hard to believe that Hadlee or Greame Pollock weren't included, but then I remembered how biased his commentry can be sometimes.

Imran Khan may have a great record with the bat but I think his bowling stats flatter him. The team is short of decent fast bowlers, though I know very little of Sydney Barnes.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
if you get a chanCe watch footage of 1982 India/Pak series in Pakistan. I dont think a Pak fast bowler has ever bowled better than that in a series (considering pitch quality and batting lineup).

Swervy

International Captain
Will Scarlet said:
I just find it hard to believe that Hadlee or Greame Pollock weren't included, but then I remembered how biased his commentry can be sometimes.

Imran Khan may have a great record with the bat but I think his bowling stats flatter him. The team is short of decent fast bowlers, though I know very little of Sydney Barnes.
Imran Khan in the early to mid 80's was an amazing bowler