• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International Twenty20

Barney Rubble

International Coach
The news that England are going to play a twenty20 ODI v Aus next year to open the Ashes series got me thinking - most of the England ODI squad haven't played much of the very short game, so would they pick a radically different squad from players who have? Aus would probably just choose their regular one-day team with maybe a few alterations. My idea of the possible teams:

England
1. M Trescothick
2. A Flintoff
3. K Pietersen
4. A Brown
5. D Maddy
6. P Collingwood
7. M Vaughan
8. G Jones
9. A Wharf
10. S Harmison
11. J Anderson

Australia
1. A Gilchrist
2. M Hayden
3. R Ponting
4. A Symonds
5. B Hodge
6. M Bevan
7. D Martyn
8. B Hogg
9. J Gillespie
10. B Lee
11. G McGrath

and just for good measure, a World twenty20 XI:
1. A Gilchrist
2. A Flintoff
3. S Tendulkar
4. S Afridi
5. L Klusener
6. S Jayasuriya
7. C Gayle
8. S Pollock
9. B Lee
10. M Muralitharan
11. G McGrath

haven't put much thought into these, so everyone's gonna disagree.

a massive zebra

International Captain
M Vaughan???
P Collingwood???
A Wharf???

Ian Harvey rocks at this, should be in the Aus team. Dimitri Mascarenhas possibly in the England team, certainly better than Wharf. Can bat and outbowling Warne ATM.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Don't worry I'm not totally crazy, just a bit dumb.

Vaughan's in for his captaincy, I like his imaginative field placings. I accept he's probably crap at the game, that's why I put him at 7.
Collingwood to nudge the ball around at the end of the innings although that was a stupid reason to pick him cos that doesn't happen in twenty20.
Wharf because I think he's a useful player and he's played a lot of twenty20 cricket as part of a successful Glamorgan team. Can bat a bit if we lose 7 wickets and can bowl with some variation. There's probably more logic behind pcikng him than the other two!

See what I mean by I didn't give this much thought?!?!

a massive zebra

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Don't worry I'm not totally crazy, just a bit dumb.

Vaughan's in for his captaincy, I like his imaginative field placings. I accept he's probably crap at the game, that's why I put him at 7.
Collingwood to nudge the ball around at the end of the innings although that was a stupid reason to pick him cos that doesn't happen in twenty20.
Wharf because I think he's a useful player and he's played a lot of twenty20 cricket as part of a successful Glamorgan team. Can bat a bit if we lose 7 wickets and can bowl with some variation. There's probably more logic behind pcikng him than the other two!

See what I mean by I didn't give this much thought?!?!
Fair enough. There's no way I would pick any of these three but you make good points.

a massive zebra

International Captain
England

1. M Trescothick
2. A Flintoff
3. K Pietersen
4. A Brown
5. D Maddy
6. C Adams (cpt)
7. G Jones (wk)
8. A Giles
9. A Mascarenhas
10. S Harmison
11. J Anderson

Seven good hitters (Trescothick, Flintoff, Pietersen, Brown, Maddy, Adams, Jones), 5 good bowlers (Harmison, Anderson, Mascarenhas, Flintoff, Giles), 2 useful part-timers (Pietersen and Maddy) and a good captain (Adams).

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Cheers Zebra.

If I was going to pick those teams again I wouldn't pick those three, mostly because I wouldn't be rushing trying to finish my post so I could catch the resumption of play in the 3rd Test Eng v WI. Which never happened. So replace those three with Blackwell, Chapple and Ormond. I think that's slightly better. Providing Blackwell learns to hit the bloody ball like he used to.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
think we must have posted at the same time! Your XI reads well, Mascarenhas was the name I was looknig for when I thought of Wharf - I knew there was a bowlign all-rounder who had taken this yuear's game by storm but I couldn't remember who it was! Replace perhaps Ormond or Chapple from my renewed team with him and we're about there.

Personally, though, I'm not in favour of having someone who the players might not be familiar with come into the game for one match to captain - I might pick the extra batsman and have Trescothick captain, he did a decent job in his 1 Test, and his 1 or 2 ODIs. It's a bit academic though I think.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Australia
1. A Gilchrist
2. M Hayden
3. R Ponting
4. A Symonds
5. B Hodge
6. M Bevan
7. D Martyn
8. B Hogg
9. J Gillespie
10. B Lee
11. G McGrath
it looks the same as their one day/50 overs team? lol

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
The news that England are going to play a twenty20 ODI v Aus next year to open the Ashes series got me thinking - most of the England ODI squad haven't played much of the very short game, so would they pick a radically different squad from players who have?
The one-day game and the 20-over game are totally different kettles of fish.
As per usual, the best bet would be to pick the players who've done best at the Twenty20 Cup, but in a 20-over format you can't really make reliable statstics.
It might be a batting game but it's certainly not a batsman's game - to get a high average is very difficult, and for a bowler an economy-rate of 6-an-over is very good. Bowling-averages mean sod-all, of course - anyone can be gifted wickets in a 20-over innings.
And the 20-over international won't be an Twenty20 ODI - an ODI is a 50-over game. Hence the term one-day-game. 20-over internationals games will be OEI (one-evening-internationals).