• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Flintoff number 1?

Craig

World Traveller
Michael Vaughan has been quoted as saying Andrew Flintoff is the number 1 cricketer in the world, true he has been playing well of late and I'm not going to dispute it, but is this surely one of the biggest extraggatations (sp) of recent time (last 6-12 months)?

If he plays like this v Australia next year then he would have a valid claim.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Im sure at least one person will come on and wildly agree with this, but that is a stupid comment by Vaughan. Should think before he speaks.:@

Mr. P

:dry: Craig that was a very predictable reply.

And no I don't. I simply rate him (Ponting) inside my top 5. Anyone who doesn't is kidding themselves.

Andre

International Regular
The best cricketer in the world? Maybe not.

The most irresistable force in world cricket on form? Certainly.

Swervy

International Captain
I think Vaughan has said that because Flintoff is an all rounder...and he probably has been the most effective allrounder in the game this year.

He is deffo the most entertaining player around at the moment though...he does have the Botham like effect of making watch him play, coz you never know you might just see some history in the making.

Mr. P

Andre said:
The best cricketer in the world? Maybe not.

The most irresistable force in world cricket on form? Certainly.
I wouldn't say that. Dravid has to be the best on form. And in reply to Swervy, Kallis has been better then Flintoff this year, remember the big run of centuries?

Kallis may not be doing quite as well with the ball, but overall hes done better then Andy.

FRAZ

International Captain
Swervy said:
?????? Only????
To be honest , In my opinion The 2 teams i.e. England and Newzealand , are extremely boring some times . It does'nt matter if they win or lose . I am sorry to say this but thats what I feel .And Cairns and Flintoff are the only two cricketers who when ever are at their best , eliminate the boring factor in these two teams .

Last edited:

Mr. P

FRAZ said:
To be honest , In my opinion The 2 teams i.e. England and Newzealand , are extremely boring some times . It does'nt matter if they win or lose . I am sorry to say this but thats what I feel .And Cairns and Flintoff are the only two cricketers who when ever they are at their best , eliminate the boring factor in these two teams .
Nooo...I would say sometimes England do have the X factor, very exciting.

NZ unfortunately have the 'Mark Richardson Factor' :happy: ;)

Craig

World Traveller
Neither does Chris Cairns, Jacob Oram, Marcus Trescothick, Nathan Astle, Michael Vaughan, Craig McMillan in full flight with the bat, and Shane Bond makes me sit up when he is bowling fast in full flight, sadly back injuries have robbed him of that and us cricket fans of that inage (unless he is taking wickets and you happen to be a supporter of the country he is taking wickets against).

Craig

World Traveller
True, but you have to give him credit for finding what works for him and sticking to it.

Swervy

International Captain
FRAZ said:
To be honest , In my opinion The 2 teams i.e. England and Newzealand , are extremely boring some times . It does'nt matter if they win or lose . I am sorry to say this but thats what I feel .And Cairns and Flintoff are the only two cricketers who when ever they are at their best , eliminate the boring factor in these two teams .

they have been scoring at a rate of 3.58 an over in tests this year...which in a 90 over day eqautes to 322 runs a day...and forgetting the figures, they are pretty good to watch batting, with players like Flintoff,Trescothick,Vaughan,Jones all scoring at a fair rate of knots..

Also, Vaughan is a pretty inovative captain who likes to set 'wicket taking' fields..and it certainly isnt boring watching pure wicket takers(regardless of what your opinion is of the talent) such as Harmison,Anderson,Jones and now Flintoff (in his new role as a strike bowler,whipping them in at 90mph).

I think England are one of the more attractive teams to watch these days

Swervy

International Captain
Mr. P said:
I wouldn't say that. Dravid has to be the best on form. And in reply to Swervy, Kallis has been better then Flintoff this year, remember the big run of centuries?

Kallis may not be doing quite as well with the ball, but overall hes done better then Andy.
Regarding Kallis,yeah his batting has been prolific,but I wouldnt say he is a match winner in the way Flintoff his...and his bowling IMO doesnt come close to Flintoffs

Mr. P

IMO kallis in his prime is just as good bowling wise as Flintoff in his prime. Also Kallis is a match winner in huge ways. Besides the term 'match winner' is a disaster in itself...so many variables...

FRAZ

International Captain
Mr. P said:
Nooo...I would say sometimes England do have the X factor, very exciting.

NZ unfortunately have the 'Mark Richardson Factor' :happy: ;)
No the thing is not the Mark Richordson factor . Its the overall nature of the team . Pakistan as a team is may be worst but player wise they are the best and the way they play is exciting . Remember in one of his early matches , Abdul Razzaq hit McGrath with 5 boundries in the same over . Thats what people usually like to see , I mean unexpected performance , out of no where . Honestly England and Newzealand apart from these two players especialy and some others occasionally are quite predictable .