• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How should Cricket be improved ?

WIC_rules

Cricket Spectator
I think cricket is going through a rough phase at the moment - cases of player burn-outs , low attendances , cheating all very rampant at this stage. This is indirectly going to have a huge say in the way the game's gonna be played and perceived in the years to come . I am of the opinion that some drastic new measures are reqd. to enhance the status & appeal of the sport.

Firstly , i think cricket should allow substitutions as in soccer or other sports. Lets face it - some member of every touring party inevitably ends up being a tourist. Substitutions would allow teams to cover for any serious injury during the course of the game and would also allow some key players much needed rest. Would give every player in the touring squad a feel of the green. Would also increase the role of the coach & the skipper significantly. It can be misused to an extent but if some curbs are installed , it could be a very handy ruling. At least , it will the put those idiotic jersey numbers to some use.

What say guys ? How would u like to see the game being improved ?

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
That will not be implemented as, it is too big a jump from current ideas.

My theory, 5 runs for over the fence on the bounce (maybe only in 1days), is more likly but still not going to happen.

Kimbo

International Debutant
That is a bad idea IMO. it teaches players to slog and play in an irresponsible manner. it teaches kids the wrong stuff.
i think that the ICC should listen to what the captains have been saying- less matches, a scheduled time for rest etc

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think cricket is going through a rough phase at the moment - cases of player burn-outs , low attendances , cheating all very rampant at this stage.

I don't understand exactly what you base this on except for dodgy anecdotal evidence. It sounds like you're just a pit peeved because your side has been loosing a bit in recent times (Sri Lanka?? Kenya??? Bangladesh?? SOUTH AFRICA??????).

Secondly, even if there were real problems with the game of cricket, I doubt that adding player substitutions would change anything... not to mention the introduction of a one-bounce four (which has already been ridiculed in a previous thread a few weeks ago - absolutely stupid idea).

I agree with Sunil, however, that the ICC should listen more to the captains that less matches are needed (not that I personally agree... (more cricket, more cricket!!!!!!) ) ;)

In terms of ways to "enhance the status & appeal of the sport" - perhaps we should attempt what the beach vollyballers have recently done: made it compulsory for all players to wear tight, skimpy little outfits with bright, eye-catchers plastered all over them..... I mean, who wouldn't love to see Inzamum Ul-Haq in a tank-top and bike-pants trying to scramble the 20.12 metres down the other end to get off the mark????? Now THATS entertainment!!!!!! :D :D :D

Kimbo

International Debutant
nice idea mrperko, but there would be some horrible grass burn on the players when diving about... ouch.
i think they should make the outfield a massive trampoline

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think the game should stay as it is. New games like cricket max can be made up if required.
I do think they should be playing less matches if player burnout is a problem though

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
MrPerko, I love the Beach Volleyball idea.
Could you have imagined Merv in such an outfit?
lol

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Luckyeddie - I don't think they make outfits big enough to incorporate the beer gut these days..... unlucky for Merv.

(However, I doubt many cricketers (and especially ex-cricketers) WOULD look alright in such an outfit...)