• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good Fielding...

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Which team is currently the best fielding side and who are the best fielders in current and past cricket. Also who is the crapiest fielders in the world.

for me the best ever fielders i know is ofcourse Rhodes, Gibbs, and Roshan Mahanama. currently.. definitely Ponting and Atapattu

Crapiest fielder (ever) definitely is Nuwan Zoyza

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
Which team is currently the best fielding side and who are the best fielders in current and past cricket. Also who is the crapiest fielders in the world.

for me the best ever fielders i know is ofcourse Rhodes, Gibbs, and Roshan Mahanama. currently.. definitely Ponting and Atapattu

Crapiest fielder (ever) definitely is Nuwan Zoyza
Rhodes for sure,and pretty much the entire Australian team.

Some great fielders of the past: Roger Harper, Ian Botham (outstanding slipper who stood about 3 or 4 yards closer to the bat than most and took spectacular catches because of his amazing reflexes),Derek Randall,David Gower before he did his shoulder in, John Dyson (who took one of the greatest catches I have ever seen vs WI in the early 80's)... ihave probably forgotten loads

Too many crap ones to mention

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Best fielding team at the moment is Australia. Thats not being bias because im just stating the facts. Best two fielders in the world are hayden/ponting and they are about equal. Zoysa is terrible, although my guess is the worst would be from a minnow country.

masterblaster

International Captain
Out of your typical current players such as Ponting and Gibbs, I find that Yuvraj is excellent currently and so is Kaif. Hamish Marshall isn't too bad. Andrew Symonds is brilliant, infact the entire Australian team is brilliant as already said.

The worst I can think of have to be Ashish Nehra and Nuwan Zoysa with Sourav Ganguly coming in there too (although Ganguly does have good catching hands).

shaka

International Regular
Lou Vincent is another good fielder, except he cannot make the team solely on his good fielding ability.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Inzy is the best outfielder in world cricket ;)

umm Ponting, Symonds, Gibbs & yuvraj at the moment are some of the best

others that are good - Tendulkar, Attapattu, Hayden, Brett Lee - most of th erest of the Kiwi and Aussie teams. few others from RSA are pretty good too.

other greats - Taylor, Mark Waugh, Bob simpson, Ian Healy

Zoysa is probably the worst ive seen, Nehra pretty close behind him

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have to say Nehra.

Ganguly is fairly poor for someone who should be leading by example.

FRAZ

International Captain
Good ones are Shahid Afridi , Gibbs , Ponting .
Worst team is Pakistan and overall best IS Newzealand (South Africa is second for sure).

viktor

State Vice-Captain
age_master said:
Zoysa is probably the worst ive seen, Nehra pretty close behind him
haven't seen too much of zoysa. but he's worse than nehra??!!!
thats just not possible my friend. its almost against the laws of physics. NOBODY is worse than Nehra and he will prove all you doubters wrong in the upcoming tournaments!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Quite easily - because there are lots and lots who are, for all intents and purposes, equal.
There are the odd few who are a cut above - Colin Bland (who I'm astounded no-one seems to have mentioned yet, as he was by universal acclaim the Jack Blackham of outfielding), Derek Randall, Jonty Rhodes.
There are those who have outstanding hands but not much else (Inzamam, Mushtaq Ahmed), those who have good hands and big reach but no athleticism or speed (Hayden, McGrath, Trescothick).
There are equally many, many who are good, as I say at the start of this post. Many have already been mentioned: Gibbs, Ponting, Lee, Symonds, Marshall, Vincent, Yuvraj Singh, Kaif, Collingwood, Dwayne Smith. There are countless others.
There are also those who are not so good (Zoysa and Nehra cannot, like it or not, be seperated, they have too much in common). God-knows-how-many others, but there are certanly less than there were 20 years and more ago.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Quite easily - because there are lots and lots who are, for all intents and purposes, equal.
There are the odd few who are a cut above - Colin Bland (who I'm astounded no-one seems to have mentioned yet, as he was by universal acclaim the Jack Blackham of outfielding), Derek Randall, Jonty Rhodes.
There are those who have outstanding hands but not much else (Inzamam, Mushtaq Ahmed), those who have good hands and big reach but no athleticism or speed (Hayden, McGrath, Trescothick).
There are equally many, many who are good, as I say at the start of this post. Many have already been mentioned: Gibbs, Ponting, Lee, Symonds, Marshall, Vincent, Yuvraj Singh, Kaif, Collingwood, Dwayne Smith. There are countless others.
There are also those who are not so good (Zoysa and Nehra cannot, like it or not, be seperated, they have too much in common). God-knows-how-many others, but there are certanly less than there were 20 years and more ago.
not mentioned because probably no-one has actually seen much, if any footage

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
AND hp.requestno = req.requestno
AND hire.appid = ivw.appid (+)
AND hire.appid = offer.appid (+)
AND hire.companyid = ''[[COMPANYID]]''
AND req.companyid = ''[[COMPANYID]]''

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
not mentioned because probably no-one has actually seen much, if any footage
I'e seen bits, about the same amount I've seen of Bradman's batting.
And I've also read comparisons between him and Rhodes, between him and Randall. Even, believe it or not, between him and Herschelle Herman.
Very rarely has anyone said there was a superior fielder.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
nookie_lk said:
AND hp.requestno = req.requestno
AND hire.appid = ivw.appid (+)
AND hire.appid = offer.appid (+)
AND hire.companyid = ''[[COMPANYID]]''
AND req.companyid = ''[[COMPANYID]]''
??????????????????????????????????
:blink: :mellow:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard said:
If you are going to mention great fielders of the past, then surely Learie Constantine, Roger Harper and Gilbert Jessop should be ranked alongside Bland, Randall and Rhodes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I don't think anyone could really say for certain about Jessop because surely there weren't any pieces comparing him to Bland.
Bland, in any case, is credited with revolutionising fielding because in Jessop's day being good at it was just a useful extra.
I've never seen Roger Harper, from what I've heard he was undoubtedly very, very good, but I've never heard anyone compare him to Randall - the benchmark of modern fielders. Nor Rhodes - the benchmark of fielding today.
Leroy Constantine I've never heard anything about at all.