• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should open for INDIA in first test??

nehrafan

Banned
DAS should be thrown out, infact the team have decided to dump him finally.The mistake Saurav made in WI was to persists with him when he was playing pathetically.No matter how good ur middle order be, if ur openers can't score, and if ur tailenders doesn't contribute, ur final score won't be impressive.

Jaffer/Sehwag/Mongia/Bangar/Laxman , who shold be tried??

Laxman doesn't like to open otherwise he could have been sent as an opener and Kaif could have bated at six slot.Do u think SEhwag and Mongia should be tried as openers??

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
This would be worth a try, but Sehwag isn't that consistent as an opener. He has batted in test matches at 5 or 6 and has scored century on debut. Keep him there and open with Laxman and Mongia. Laxman used to open batting for India about 3 years ago and did it well. ;)

Rich2001

International Captain
Jaffer/Sehwag/Mongia/Bangar/Laxman , who shold be tried??
Mongia and Jaffer

Bangar is a middle to lower order batsman, who is just playing as an opener against first class team in a tour match.

Laxman is a top player in tests and plays his best in the middle order, why has it all of a sudden that he should open

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Corky.

Oh, sorry. I thought you said 'who should open India up in the first test?'.

My mistake :D

Rich2001

International Captain
Corky.

You never know they need someone to replace Trescothick, and Corky isn't bad with the bat :D

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Corky.

LOL @ Lucky...

Never know...
well i hope so anyway....

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
India should open with Jaffer and Sehwag. As for Corky opening India up, I have serious doubts about that....'coz guess what ? he ain't playin, I believe.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
who should open ? hmmm i dont think that question will get any valid answer

but i can tell who is going to open in the first test..

Sanjay bangar. he got some wickets and made a 50. So obviosuly he will be hailed as the next grt and made opener. I expect him to perfom moderately well coz he is a swing bowler and seems to have a cool head. But i doubt if he is a long term prospect.

And i think jaffer should open with him and das should be given the boot

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
This Southampton jig isn't worth much and Bangar taking a few wickets there does not prove a thing.Yes, Das needs to be tossed out and Sehwag and Jaffer should open.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
This Southampton jig isn't worth much and Bangar taking a few wickets there does not prove a thing.Yes, Das needs to be tossed out and Sehwag and Jaffer should open.
I read that he has bowled quite well. Being a swing bowler like ealham or irani type....he should do well in england. yeah may be he should come down the order.

But knowing how india works he will be the opener. lets hope he doesnt suck badly..

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
bangar and jaffer if conditions aid swing..

or else put both teams names into a hat and pick two. thts more method than the current one..lol

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sehwag and Jaffer. Das is poor, we've covered that, Laxman is a mid order player, and Bangar to open would seem like a short cut to screwing another career.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I find it ironic that the recognised opener (Jaffer) now has 2 very early dismissals, whilst the new kid has 2 very good scores (just wish I'd backed him at 16-1 to top score in the first Test, it was a choice between him and Dravid, and I chose Dravid)