• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gentlemen cricketers

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
hi every1 this is my first thread,

i was wondering which cricketers you all thought were really gentlemen cricketers, by this i mean show manners out there on the field (eg. Adam Gilchrist walking) and which you consider to be not-so gentlemanly cricketers (e.g. McGrath for sledging)

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Gentleman - Sanath Jayasuriya, Andy Flower, Atapattu, Dravid,
Not So Gentlemen - MCGRATH, Kallis, Zaheer Khan

Langeveldt

Soutie
Gentlemen - The entire Zimbabwe team, Attapattu, Dravid, Sangakkara, Rudolph, Van Jaarsveld, Jacobs, Stewart (the epitome of gentleman), Collins, Harmison..

I guess the list goes on.. But in my book, don't be a tosser and chances are you are a gentleman...

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Tendulkar and Dravid define Gentlemen ...
Opposing side: Australian Team, Ganguly, Afridi lot more I cant think off ..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't know why no one has mentioned Brian Lara yet. Sure, he shows dissent when he is given out wrongly, but certainly, he is the only one who has always walked whenever he knows he is out. And I think he was the one who always shook his opponents' hands whenever they made a century, until around 99 when the folks in the caribbean started saying that it was a sign of his lack of team spirit. Dravid, Sachin and Laxman and even Murali have been great advertisements for the game in the way they conduct themselves on and off the field and I think I might add Brett Lee there, he seems rather nice for a fast bowler.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
^you serious about Brett Lee? I wouldn't call someone who celebrates taking a wicket by gyrating up and down the pitch and looking as if he's having an epileptic fit a gentleman.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I would agree with Lara. He walks if the fielder says he caught it which is the way it should be. The only time he shows displeasure is when it is not reciprocated.

It's pretty easy to write the team off as a whole but most of them are neither here nor there when it comes to this sort of thing. You shouldn't get penalised for playing aggressive cricket. When guys like McGrath and Lehmann go over the line then sure bag them. Guys like Gilchrist, Kasporwicz and Martyn shouldn't be brought down through association.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
delkap said:
Tendulkar and Dravid define Gentlemen ...
Opposing side: Australian Team, Ganguly, Afridi lot more I cant think off ..
You're NOT being bias there are you?!?!?! :-O No way! I thought as much. If anyone accuses you of being so I will defend your views until the cows come home. :dry:

:mellow:

Scallywag

Banned
The Argonaut said:
I would agree with Lara. He walks if the fielder says he caught it which is the way it should be. The only time he shows displeasure is when it is not reciprocated.
I thought thats what made a gentleman, when he still acts like a gentleman even though the opposition does not reciprocate.

My comments only refer to what a gentleman is and not about Lara.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Sehwag309 said:
Not so GENTLE = Ranatunga
well ranatunga is not that bad....he just tried to defend his own team mate..(muralis no ball thing)..other than that what else makes him a non gentle man

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't he act in an ungentlemanly way when some kids hit a ball into his yard once?

Sehwag309

Banned
nookie, relax..this thread was meant for fun anyways. I know he was defending his team, but yes, the previous response reminded me of the kid being beaten up inicdent

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
thats must be some bull made up by some pethetic politician in Sri Lanka...

i think Aravinda De dilva was a true gentlrman