• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gentlemen cricketers

Swervy

International Captain
Dasa said:
Thanks for that, Sehwag309.

Would you agree Warne is a drug cheat then?
was he shown to be cheating?????? NO

was he in contavention of current anti-drugs policies in cricket at the moment??? YES

He broke the rules but he didnt cheat

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dasa said:
Thanks for that, Sehwag309.

Would you agree Warne is a drug cheat then?
Could someone maybe post a list of drugs Warne could have possibly been taking to improve his performance? When you amble in off 6 paces and roll the arm over I'm not quite sure exactly what you'd be taking to improve anything......but I'm not that familiar with banned drugs and the effect they have on cricketers.

As far as the "gentlemanly cricketers" thread goes, it seems that no matter who you put forward as a gentleman someone's going to be able to go back 15 years and bring up an incident when they looked at a batsman sideways - which apparently damns them to the ungentlemanly bin, i.e: Donald and Atherton...........if you've ever bowled and seen the ball go to the boundary regularly through an array of crap shots through slips etc, and never said anything at all re: the batsmans ability/the level of luck he seems to be enjoying, then you must have either been playing Under 8's at the time, or had your frontal lobe removed.

Swervy

International Captain
Dasa said:
Isn't that what Tendulkar and Dravid did as well?
well if they did tamper with the ball, then that in my eyes is cheating pure and simple.

Warne was NOT found guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs and so therefore cannot be considered a cheat...he was also NOT found gulity of match fixing and so therefore cannot be considered a cheat...naive and irresponible yes...cheating no

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I believe both Tendulkar and Dravid did not intentionally tamper with the ball, however, they did break the rules and were punished for it. Much like the Warne situation, he may not have been taking performance enhancing drugs, however he did break the rules, and was duly punished.

My response was more towards Scallywag as he seems to be one of those who call all subcontinental players cheats. So I was trying to show the ridiculousness of calling Tendulkar and Dravid cheats, just the same as calling Warne a cheat.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
deeps said:
wat did afridi do delkap???

and langaveldt,wat did hogg do?
I hv seen Afridi's general conduct on-field especially against Indians, its not gentlemenly to say the least..

Last edited:

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
They were charged and convicted and punished for ball tampering by the ICC which means that they are ball tamperers and you are absolutely wrong.
ICC did what it had to do because of rules... It was stupidity IMO, but ICC has to deal with it fairly..

But if you ever saw the footage, and your eyes work alright (I assume), you shouldn't even be discussing this, let alone call them cheats..

To label em cheats, is damn right ridiculous !! Those two are the most honest people to ever play cricket..

Swervy

International Captain
delkap said:
ICC did what it had to do because of rules... It was stupidity IMO, but ICC has to deal with it fairly..

But if you ever saw the footage, and your eyes work alright (I assume), you shouldn't even be discussing this, let alone call them cheats..

To label em cheats, is damn right ridiculous !! Those two are the most honest people to ever play cricket..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3413985.stm

Well I would say dravid knew the rules...but i guess he payed his fine and thats the end of that

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Dasa said:
I believe both Tendulkar and Dravid did not intentionally tamper with the ball, however, they did break the rules and were punished for it.
They did not tamper with the ball. PERIOD !!

They were punished, because ICC had to set an example.

Other players have done similar things in-front of umpires (cleaning seam) and its deemed ok. Thats cos they hv been alerted by what happened to Sachin, and are more careful of things cricketers wouldn't hv thought abt twice, 20 years ago.

And to say Dravid was tampering the ball with his lolly (which got stuck to the ball accidently in the first place), and was there for like few seconds and he himself tried to remove it as soon as he saw it, you can't be serious..

Swervy

International Captain
delkap said:
They did not tamper with the ball. PERIOD !!

They were punished, because ICC had to set an example.

Other players have done similar things in-front of umpires (cleaning seam) and its deemed ok. Thats cos they hv been alerted by what happened to Sachin, and are more careful of things cricketers wouldn't hv thought abt twice, 20 years ago.

And to say Dravid was tampering the ball with his lolly (which got stuck to the ball accidently in the first place), and was there for like few seconds and he himself tried to remove it as soon as he saw it, you can't be serious..
did he not apply an artificial substance to the ball????? if he had have gone to the umpire to explain the situation I am sure he wouldnt have been fined, however he didnt.

And with the Tendulkar thing, everyone knows that you should ask the umpire if its ok to clean mud off the seam with your fingernails...but he didnt. and yet there is uproar when the referee tries to apply the law.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
did he not apply an artificial substance to the ball????? if he had have gone to the umpire to explain the situation I am sure he wouldnt have been fined, however he didnt.

And with the Tendulkar thing, everyone knows that you should ask the umpire if its ok to clean mud off the seam with your fingernails...but he didnt. and yet there is uproar when the referee tries to apply the law.
There is no uproar abt it.. I hv no complaints of ICC treatment..

I am just saying, true they made mistakes.. BUT THEY DIDNT CHEAT OR TAMPER THE BALL

And I hate it if people label them either of the above. If ball had been tampered, it would have been changed. And both incidents were caught by camera, nothing to indicate to umpires that balls were indeed tampered.

Swervy

International Captain
delkap said:
There is no uproar abt it.. I hv no complaints of ICC treatment..

I am just saying, true they made mistakes.. BUT THEY DIDNT CHEAT OR TAMPER THE BALL

And I hate it if people label them either of the above. If ball had been tampered, it would have been changed. And both incidents were caught by camera, nothing to indicate to umpires that balls were indeed tampered.

fair enough..I dont think they did anything to purposely alter the state of the ball...maybe guilty of naivety

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
My response was more towards Scallywag as he seems to be one of those who call all subcontinental players cheats.

I wouldn't raise to his bait.

His posts tend to suggest that if he had another brain cell it'd be lonely.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Justin Langer knew the rules too when he dislodged the bails in SriLanka and walke away as if nothing had happened.

Oh let me see that was an 'honest mistake'.
well he wasnt found guilty was he...you are making an asumption that he did that on purpose

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
well he wasnt found guilty was he...you are making an asumption that he did that on purpose
That's the point, had it been done by the Sri Lankans in the same match there was a pretty good chance that the player would have been considered guilty and 'Scallywag' :wacko: of these forums would have declared the player 'cheat'.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
That's the point, had it been done by the Sri Lankans in the same match there was a pretty good chance that the player would have been considered guilty and 'Scallywag' :wacko: of these forums would have declared the player 'cheat'.

and on the other side of that same coin..i am sure a number of people who support the asian teams would have said it was just a mistake.

People like Scallywag are probably only reacting to people who instantly assume that whateveran Aussie is doing, he is doing wrong, without looking at the facts

Scallywag

Banned
Dasa said:
I believe both Tendulkar and Dravid did not intentionally tamper with the ball, however, they did break the rules and were punished for it. Much like the Warne situation, he may not have been taking performance enhancing drugs, however he did break the rules, and was duly punished.

My response was more towards Scallywag as he seems to be one of those who call all subcontinental players cheats. So I was trying to show the ridiculousness of calling Tendulkar and Dravid cheats, just the same as calling Warne a cheat.
Make a fool of me Dasa and show posts where I call any player that hasnt been convicted of ball tampering a cheat.