• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gentlemen cricketers

a massive zebra

International Captain
Gentlemen: Rahul Dravid, Michael Vaughan, Brian Lara.
Not so Gentlemen: Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne, Kumar Sangakarra, Tino Best.

Last edited:

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Mr. P said:
You're NOT being bias there are you?!?!?! :-O No way! I thought as much. If anyone accuses you of being so I will defend your views until the cows come home. :dry:

:mellow:
Hey if gentleman means, not sledging etc. I dunno how can you say any of the Australian cricketers are gentlemen, they sledge all the time ...
I didn't say thats a bad thing, Ganguly does it, Zaheer does it.. just not very gentlemenly qualities I would say. I havent watched everyone so can't say who all stand out, among ones I hv seen Dravid and Sachin turn out to be perfect on and off field.

Although I do hv a lot of respect for Gilchrist (walking) and Steve Waugh (he sledged, but not to extent of making it personal)

To add to list of un-gentlemen like: Akhtar, Waqar, Zaheer Khan

ReallyCrazy

Banned
gentlemen: Rahul Dravid, Tendulkar, Brett Lee, Lara, atapattu, murali
un-gentlemen: nasser hussain, lehmann, ponting, ranatunga, javed miandad

a massive zebra

International Captain
Well in your misguided view all Asians are cheats and all Australians are the most respectable, gentlemanly people on earth.

Wake up buddy, the world is not quite that black and white.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Scallywag said:
Tendulkar and Dravid are both ball tamperers and are no way gentlemen.
no way man....tendulkar and dravid are repected as very well behaved cricketers...i dont remember one incident where any one of them have misbehaved ??? do u ??? specially ball tampering

rodderss

Cricket Spectator
atherton has to be one of the major gentlemen and also graham thorpe not forgetting vaughn of course , pakistan team are generally slobish, england team generally are gentlemen freddy flintoff is a joka though

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
_Ed_ said:
Didn't he act in an ungentlemanly way when some kids hit a ball into his yard once?
Ranatunga also continually asked for a runner when it was plain for all to see that he was just fat and unfit.

If Lee's out for celebrating a dismissal then I guess that counts out 99.9% of bowlers then. Oh, and what about the disgusting way the batsman raises his bat when he gets 50 or a hundred - right over the top!

Legglancer

State Regular
This Article is a little off topic however I think its still relavent in a opposite kind of way.

Leg 8-)

The XI meanest bowlers

John Stern infiltrates the fast and furious of Test cricket

1 Sylvester Clarke
Mike Selvey wrote: "His glare could freeze hell."
He terrorised batsmen for a decade for Surrey,
splitting Graham Gooch's helmet in two and
ripping the top of David Gower's glove. His
amazing shoulders and chest-on action could
unleash what Dennis Amiss called a "trapdoor
ball" because the batsman would lose sight of it
until it appeared in front of his nose. But his most
infamous act came as a boundary fielder in a Test
against Pakistan at Multan in 1980-81. Angered by
the barrage of fruit and pebbles, he picked up a
brick being used as a boundary marker and threw it
into the crowd, seriously injuring a local student
leader.
2 Roy Gilchrist
"I bin watchin' cricket 50 years and, if owt's faster than yon lad, they're fired from
bloody cannons," said a seasoned watcher of the Central Lancashire League after seeing
the Jamaican Gilchrist bowl for Middleton. Gilchrist played 13 Tests for West Indies
and took 57 wickets but his Test career ended abruptly, sent home from India in
1958-59 for bowling beamers and a "knife incident".
3 Colin Croft
"Genuinely nasty," wrote Imran Khan. "He didn't seem to enjoy playing cricket very
much." Built like a lock forward, Croft bowled from wide of the crease spearing the ball
towards the batsman. When Australia met Guyana in 1977-78 Graham Yallop
fractured his jaw trying to hook Croft and Bruce Yardley was hit on the head. The
tourists' manager Fred Bennett described Croft's bowling as a "direct contravention of
both the law and the tour conditions".
4 Charlie Griffith
His partnership with Wes Hall for West Indies in the 1960s was one of the most
hostile of all pace double-acts. Griffith was the master of the toe-crushing yorker but is
notorious for his dubious action that caused him to be no-balled for throwing twice in
his career. In 1961-62 he hit Indian Nari Contractor over the right ear and Contractor
had to undergo a life-saving brain operation.
5 Harold Larwood
Not a real meany but gets in for being the executor of Bodyline against Australia in
1932-33. He took 33 wickets at 19.51 but achieves his place as an anti-hero because of
the blows sustained by Bill Woodfull and Bert Oldfield in the third Test at Adelaide.
Woodfull was hit over the heart after ducking into what he thought was a rising ball
while Oldfield was hit on the head by a ball that rose off a length.
6 Jeff Thomson
He set his stall out before England's visit to Australia in 1974-75 by saying: "I enjoy
hitting a batsman more than getting him out. I like to see blood on the pitch. And I've
been training on whisky." Whatever his secret, his partnership with Dennis Lillee in
the 1974-75 series was devastatingly successful. The pair took 58 wickets between
them and both averaged two or three bouncers an over as the capacity crowds bayed
for blood.
7 Courtney Walsh
West Indies v England, first Test, Jamaica, 1993-94. It was Mike Atherton's first
overseas Test as captain and Walsh bowled "harrowingly fast and short" according to
Wisden. But it was the "unwarranted and unpunished intimidation" of England's No.
11 Devon Malcolm that shocked all who saw it. Walsh had had enough of a last-wicket
stand between Malcolm and Andrew Caddick so came round the wicket to launch an
"unedifying assault" at Malcolm's body.
8 Michael Holding
Don't be fooled by the mellifluous Jamaican burr. `Whispering Death' wins his place
for the onslaught at Old Trafford on the evening of July 10, 1976 when 45-year-old
Brian Close took blow after blow on the body. West Indies captain Clive Lloyd
admitted afterwards: "Our fellows got carried away. They went flat out, sacrificing
accuracy for speed."
9 Curtly Ambrose
The meanness of Ambrose left was
usually confined to his bowling analysis
but when riled his temper was ferocious.
Playing for Northants against
Warwickshire in 1990, he was so
annoyed at having a caught-behind
appeal against Dermot Reeve turned
down that he bowled three beamers at
him in quick succession. Reeve made
202 not out, his highest first-class score.

10 John Snow
The man whose autobiography was entitled Cricket Rebel was easily wound up. On
the Ashes tour of 1970-71 Snow hit Graham McKenzie in the face and in the final Test
at Sydney felled Terry Jenner with a bouncer. He was warned by the umpire for
intimidatory bowling and then had his shirt pulled by an inebriated spectator. As beer
cans rained on to the ground England captain Ray Illingworth led his players from the
field.
11 Sarfraz Nawaz
An unpredictable Pakistani, Sarfraz had the temerity to bounce Jeff Thomson, playing
for Northants against the Australians, and Joel Garner, in the 1979 Gillette Cup final.
At Perth in 1978-79 Andrew Hilditch picked up the ball at the non-striker's end and
threw it helpfully back to Sarfraz, who promptly appealed successfully for `handled
the ball'.
This article was first published in the March 2004 issue of The Wisden Cricketer.
Click here for further details.

PY

International Coach
honestbharani said:
I think I might add Brett Lee there, he seems rather nice for a fast bowler.
He was bowling vicious bouncers at total rabbits (that doesn't include Tudor who I don't think is a good batsman but people say he's ok) and didn't even stop when he sconed Tudor and his own crowd were booing him.

Nice chap though. :laugh:

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
honestbharani said:
I think I might add Brett Lee there, he seems rather nice for a fast bowler.
Didn't BLee sledge someone after felling them with a bouncer?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lol, maybe, but from what ive seen hes always down the other end pretty quickly to make sure the batsman is alright.

as for vicious bouncers at total rabbits, most would argue that the English top order is abit better than that (not much though ;))

Deja moo

International Captain
Gentlemen : Javagal Srinath (no one can top him )
Also Alec Stewart , Rahul Dravid , Sachin , Lara , Ganguly (you should see his excellent behaviour when playing vs the minnows and other well behaved teams. It is only vs teams that engage in "mental disintegration" that he comes down to their level)

Ungentlemen : all women cricketers .

FRAZ

International Captain
Deja moo said:
Gentlemen : Javagal Srinath (no one can top him )
Also Alec Stewart , Rahul Dravid , Sachin , Lara , Ganguly (you should see his excellent behaviour when playing vs the minnows and other well behaved teams. It is only vs teams that engage in "mental disintegration" that he comes down to their level)

Ungentlemen : all women cricketers .
How could Srinath be a bad guy . He was just a medium pacer. And most medium pacers are like that . So if if he pretended to be a gentleman , so what , not a big deal.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree with Deja moo, Ganguly's behaviour depends on how the other team behaves with him. I haven't seen him do too much wrong against Windies, who are generally a rather well behaved side, with the notable exception of Best.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PY said:
He was bowling vicious bouncers at total rabbits (that doesn't include Tudor who I don't think is a good batsman but people say he's ok) and didn't even stop when he sconed Tudor and his own crowd were booing him.

Nice chap though. :laugh:

Tudor was stupid enough to bounce Lee when he batted first.........and then expect to not cop the same in return. The West Indies of the late 70's and whole of the 80's made a practice of bouncing the tailenders, so I guess we should add anyone who bowled for the Windies during this period to the "ungentlemanly" list.

Scallywag

Banned
honestbharani said:
I agree with Deja moo, Ganguly's behaviour depends on how the other team behaves with him. I haven't seen him do too much wrong against Windies, who are generally a rather well behaved side, with the notable exception of Best.
What about when he plays Zimbabwe. Ganguly was found to be guilty of showing dissent, attempting to intimidate the umpires, and bringing the game into disrepute. I believe he got banned for this lot.