• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ 'A' announced

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Matthew Bell (State Wellington Firebirds) Captain
Tama Canning (State Auckland Aces)
Peter Fulton (State Canterbury Wizards)
James Franklin (State Wellington Firebirds)
Gareth Hopkins (State Otago Volts)
Jamie How (State Central Stags)
Bruce Martin (State Northern Knights)
Chris Martin (State Canterbury Wizards)
Michael Mason (State Central Stags)
Richard Sherlock (State Canterbury Wizards)
Mathew Sinclair (State Central Stags)
Ross Taylor (State Central Stags)
Lou Vincent (State Auckland Aces)
Kerry Walmsley (State Auckland Aces)
Paul Wiseman (State Canterbury Wizards)

SEPTEMBER 2004

Fri 03 – Sun 05 v Highveld Lions Vanderbijlpark

Wed 08 – Sat 11 1st Test v Sth Africa A SuperSport Park

Tue 14 – Fri 17 2nd Test v Sth Africa A Willowmoore Park

Mon 20 – Thu 23 3rd Test v Sth Africa A North West Stadium

Sunday 26 MTN Club Champions Willowmoore Park

Wednesday 29 1st ODI v Sth Africa A The Wanderers Stadium

OCTOBER 2004

Friday 01 2nd ODI v Sth Africa A North West Stadium

Sunday 03 3rd ODI v Sth Africa A SuperSport Park

Langeveldt

Soutie
Thats cool, never knew they played high level cricket in Vanderbijlpark...

And no offence, but you have sone shocking names for your teams.. I can't for the life of me think what is so wrong with Canterbury and Otago

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The players to watch in that team are:
Peter Fulton, Ross Taylor & Richard Sherlock..and probably Jamie How.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard Sherlock surprised me some what.

If Jesse Ryder can pull his head in, it probably won't be long before he is there.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Thats cool, never knew they played high level cricket in Vanderbijlpark...

And no offence, but you have sone shocking names for your teams.. I can't for the life of me think what is so wrong with Canterbury and Otago
State Insurance has naming rights to New Zealand's domestic teams.

Hence 'State Canterbury Wizards'.

anzac

International Debutant
not so sure about the selections of Walmsley / Wiseman & Mason - I'd rather have seen the likes of Thompson / Gillespie / Scott / Redmond so far as future prospects go...........

good to see the likes of Fulton, B Martin, Sherlock, Vincent, How & Franklin there...............I guess the big looser in McIntosh as he's not injured / not available.............pity Adams isn't available to try & push for a place...........

batting looks strong but the bowling prabably lacks experience at top flight - presumably the reasoning behind the selections of Mason & Walmsley rather than the newer kids on the block as mentioned above...........

Last edited:

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Jesse Ryder not pulling his head in by seeing him at his birthday bash the other day.

Sherlock is a good choice. Saw him bowling just last weekend again and he is looking very sharp. Hope he can hold off the stress fractures.

Mark Gillespie has a few social issues so don't think you will see him in a team in the near future unless he is performing outstandingly.

Redmond has moved to otago so hopefully he will get more chances to prove himself as I have no doubt that he could be a big name in the future.
As is macIntosh. Moved to Canterbury and I think it is a good choice to get him out of the shadow or Richardson. Him and Papps could have a good opening partnership.

Dougie Rydal

Cricket Spectator
Pleased to see Sherlock selected, i advoctaed his selection on this board a while back. He's young - sure, inexperienced - yep. But he's got pace, and we're not blessed with that in this country.

I saw him at the Gym yesterday - i can't believe a guy that skinny (i was going to say puny, but maybe thats a bit harsh) can bowl that fast. Whippet like.

Chris Martin was also there seeing both of them there standing next to each other , well thankfully there wasn't a strong breeze - they'd both be knocked down.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But if you think of guys like Mohammed Sami, Ajit Agarkar etc...it is possible to be quick if you're skinny.

FRAZ

International Captain
Tim said:
But if you think of guys like Mohammed Sami, Ajit Agarkar etc...it is possible to be quick if you're skinny.
Ajit Agarkar is a medium pace bowler dont just mention him along with Sami .

anzac

International Debutant
Bell
How
Sinclair
Fulton
Vincent
Taylor
Hopkins
Franklin
B Martin
Sherlock
C Martin

looks a fairly decent lineup - only missing a medium pace swing option such as Styris..........does Fulton still bowl or what about How?????

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I saw him at the Gym yesterday -
Must have been there at a similar time as me. Also saw them there.

How does bowl as Isaw him bowl in the last NZ A series but I believe it is a little spin

Kent

State 12th Man
Coverage of this tour is pretty scarce, isn't it!

Admittedly this first game (which I presume has reached stumps on day 2) is really just a warm-up.

There's no mention of the tour on cricinfo's forthcoming schedule, although I see this site will be doing a live scoreboard when the first 'test' starts on Wednesday -

http://www.supersport.co.za/default.asp?Id=1&des=feature

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Ross Taylor is a damn good prospect for the near future.. ill be following him closely..

i dont know why they continue to persist with Matthew Bell.. i mean he had his long run of chances and like Sinclair or Spearman never made full use of them.. i rather think they should have gven it to other new young players.. eg Tim McIntosh from Auckland deserved a go in that side i reckon..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
May I ask why you have put them down as tests and ODIs?

Surely they are first class matches and List A matches!