• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting Started

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Nnanden said:
Dont give up on dreams! How long would the bowling queue be when Bobbery was batting? :D Or Neil for that matter! :D
I'm so glad everyone round here forgets I'm a pile of unadulterated rubbish at this game..... :D

slovo

Cricket Spectator
cricket love at firs bowl

Hi to all you guys!
Yester I played backyard cricket for the 1st time in my “patio” (because it’s not a backyard), the pitch was made on paviment, the stumps where 3 pieces of broom stick 32 inches high but they were less than 1 “ in diameter I pressume.

I cleaned the floor then stick insulating tape to make the creases, but because of the space avaliable the distance from one popping crease to another was just 10 meters. ¿that’s too unfair to one side?

I had been at the carpenter workshop and asked him to made me a couple of bats, but they must be finished until today, having the game field made yesterdey at the evening the temptation was too big so I call a couple of friends (one of those guys used to be a champ of the U17 most important amateur league of baseball in my little city, and I asked my angry married brother to play whit us…we took a little stick and a taped tennis ball.

After playeng a while I realize of three things:

1.- To play cricket I need to wear glasess (In a regular pitch size at least I would need them for sure), that’s kind of not cool (oh my eyes, why I have drinked so much cheap alcohol??!!) because I can play perfect football and rugby, bascketball and even racketball whitout them.
2.- Playing cricket it’s more complicated than it seems, specially the bowling…and even in that small pitch the bowling level was a shame. We leave the taped tennis ball and take a baseball hardball, the game improve a lot but of course we were not capable of good batting because that skinny little stick could’nt do it better against that hardball which in fact was good in part, because hit the ball to the windows or the car was almost impossible.
3.- Cricket it’s fun to “patio” playing!! We can’t play football or rugby in my patio (no for godsake!) so we go to the bascketball (it’s pollifuncional actually) court near here (1 block) to play bascketball, fulbito (a form of futsal) or touch rugby, but happens that the court in the evenings and night It’s all the time busy until at least 2 in the morning (I live in highlands…just imagine the cold…brrr)…shame L so cricket it’s a great option to me and my friends!

I’am from Bolivia where no one have a idea of what cricket it’s about, I knew cricket from a long time and I have seen ICC World of cricket on espn, but I didn’t know the way was played, neither that could be a street/backyard sport!, so I really don’t care about it, but I read an article of the tape-ball playing in Pakistan, that was enough, I search a lot of information and I kind of learn (because I have a lots of doubts) the rules by myself, download a couple of abandonware cricket games…and then I was sure, “I want to play cricket!!” I screamed…and yes it’s fun

MY bats arrived, but it’s a rainy day, and tomorrow too will be L, so I can’t test them on the “pitch”. Those are the sizes: total length 38”, blade width 4.25”, blade length 30”, handle whidt 1.5” and length 8”. And a thick (I suppose that thick is the english for “grueso” ) of 2 centimeters. It’s not humped on the backk and it’s all squared.

The reulst: a heavy and a really long bat, too short handle, too long blade, hard to manipulate. I can’t buy a bat from the internet, but I can improve those carpenter made bats (each only cost 1.80 US$), but…how could I improve them?. Just after writing this message I take a saw and cut one bat, now the handle length it’s 13.5” and the blade 24.5” it seems to be a lot more easy to manipulate and now it’s not too heavy. I want to show u some pics of the bat if I can.

Plz give me tips about bowling a tennis ball…we can’t hit the stumps even at 10 meters and whitout a batsman…=) that’s a shame don u think? Or it’s just hard to get the right experiencie to do it?, we must practice the aiming?, we hit the stumps whit the tennis bal like 1 of 4 times, that’s so bad?. We can play whit a baseball to improve the bowling level but whit the bats not being a skinny stick…we could do a lot of damage to windows, cars, or to ourselves.

In backyard cricket, what should be a decent pitch size to play whit a tennis ball?

Well thanks for all, I know u would try to help me. 8-)

---------------------------------------------------

BOLIVIA

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Welcome mate. Gotta love Backyard Cricket, it`s awesome. You should go to the coaching section on this site to learn how to bowl, don`t give up!