• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indo-Pak team might take on World XI

NikhilN

International Regular
http://www.cricket.net/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/AUG/016146_IND_05AUG2004.html

A plan has been mooted to organise a series between a combined Indo-Pak XI and the Rest of the World. The series, which will be jointly organised by the Citizens Council for a Better Tomorrow (CCBT) and 9 Yards Sports and Entertainment, is likely to comprise four one-dayers played across the globe in Mumbai, Kolkata, Manchester and Lahore.

The organisers hope that the series can be held either late this year or in the beginning of 2005. The two main stumbling blocks, which are yet to be overcome, were the permission from the respective cricket boards, apart from the International Cricket Council, and the accommodation of the series amid the packed international calendar.

However, Sanjay Jha of 9 Yards Sports and Entertainment was confident of overcoming these hurdles. The Indian Express quoted him as saying, "We are confident that the respective boards will give the green signal as we want to have the matches either in September this year, after the Champions Trophy, or January when the players will be free from their commitments to their respective countries.

"Though the players including Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist, who will turn out for the Rest of the World, have agreed to play, we are still to get permission from the ICC and respective cricket boards."

Jha also confirmed that this will be called the Sadbhavana [meaning Goodwill] series. With the cream of international talent set to be on show, this event, if held, is definitely a mouth-watering prospect

© Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

I really hope this takes place...it would be the biggest series in history

Deja moo

International Captain
I dont care if its a Citizens council for a****in better tommorrow or whatever , all you guys want is to milk the series an fill yer damn pockets . No Mr.Sanjay , I hope the boards refuse you permission to hold the series. The calendar is waaay too crowded .Yeh right , calling it a "goodwill series " makes the clendar less crowded doesnt it >?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I have my doubts about this series.

Something about Manchester being one of the venues, but it taking place in January...

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Nikhil4eva said:
I really hope this takes place...it would be the biggest series in history
How is it different from Aus. v ROW?
Other than the fact that this series would involve two clunky teams, instead of just one.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
as much as im going to get caned for this...:

My team would be:

Sehwag
Hameed
Ul-Haq
Tendulkar
Dravid
Ganguly
Patel (yes)
Razzaq
Agarkar
Pathan
Akhtar

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Here we go again...don't tell me we're going to get saturated with best of the rest versus whatever opposition can be thrown up.
I seriously doubt the ICC will back any other series when their own one hasn't even begun yet.

Why does it have to be an Asian XI, Why can't it be a Southern Hemisphere XI or something else? it'll just create more arguments.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Tim said:
Here we go again...don't tell me we're going to get saturated with best of the rest versus whatever opposition can be thrown up.
I seriously doubt the ICC will back any other series when their own one hasn't even begun yet.

Why does it have to be an Asian XI, Why can't it be a Southern Hemisphere XI or something else? it'll just create more arguments.
yea sorry, i needed to stop the cravings :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Thinking about it - I think it's a attempt at getting cheap press exposure for "9 Yards Sports and Entertainment" - the ICC won't sanction it, and therefore the top players won't play.

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
If they are playing out of the sub-continent the World XI would win if they had a World VII.

Mingster

State Regular
Next thing we will get is a combined PAK-IND-SRL and a AUS-NZ team go head-to-head....

How about we flag the idea of playing cricket as separate nations as well?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
With players continuously complaining about burn-out & heavy schedules, I cannot see more than 1 ICC sanctioned World XI event.

Deja moo

International Captain
Where the money goes is not a problem .

The good people at 9 yards entertainm,ent are "willing " to give a small part to the BCCI,ICC etc . Of course the majority is pocketed by the company itself......and the players shouldnt ask for any of it because it is being done in the name of "oeace and brotherhood".

*hippopotamus*****

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hmm, just found this thread. Surprised at the negativity shown at the time, as I think this would be a great idea IMO but as a one off match as a fundraiser of some sort.

Though maybe I'm one of the few who likes combined XI matches...