We obviously need to change somethings before the Holland Cup. This is what I think the team management needs to do.
1. Patel OUT, Karthik IN- for all you PP fans, I know you cant stand the thought of someone else getting a shot at it. Just give Karthik one chance, if he doesnt do well, then your patel can come back in. Patel can stay in the test squad but like laxman, he's not a one-day player. Understand that I'm not trying to constantly insult Patel, it's just that I see so much talent in Karthik that shouldnt be wasted. If you want to argue about Karthik vs. Patel go here KKD Karthik will replace Parthiv Patel
2. Ganguly should come down to number 4 or 5. He stinks at #3, all he does is defend and waste time. He would be a great #5 batsman because he can play spinners and also play some big shots.
3. Laxman OUT, this guy is a god in test cricket but one-day just isnt his thing. He has a hard time finding the gap like Patel and isnt used to taking singles.
4. Call me crazy, I know you will, but I've seen this kid and that's the reason why I'm saying all this. I think Karthik or yuvraj should come at #3, go ahead and laugh. IF HE PLAYS TO HIS POTENTIAL AND IS GIVEN AS MUCH FREEDOM AND OPPORTUNITY AS PATEL (notice that I wrote that in caps), he would be successful at this position because karthik has a variety of shots that he can play and also hits some big sixes. So if he comes in when sehwag or sachin's wicket falls, the run rate wouldn't drop. Same thing if Yuvraj can bat at #3. If the top three fail, then you have Dravid, Ganguly, Karthik and Kaif who are more than capable of making a recovery. Knowing how closeminded some people are, I'm willing to listen to your insults at this suggestion.
5. Zaheer should be fully fit. period. he's too good of a bowler for india to risk. If he keeps playing injured then it's just gonna get worse and eventually lead to something much more serious. India cannot afford that. Munaf Patel could be a good replacement. Unlike the other indian fast bowlers who rely on line and lenght, Munaf has pace. I'm not saying he'll succeed but it could be worth it to experiment. Balaji needs some competition because there is no other right arm bowler. Munaf has a bowling average of 24 in both domestic and list A limited overs cricket, but I dont know if he's up to international standards.
9. Balaji/Munaf Patel (right arm bowler)