• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some required changes to the Indian team

la28

Cricket Spectator
We obviously need to change somethings before the Holland Cup. This is what I think the team management needs to do.

1. Patel OUT, Karthik IN- for all you PP fans, I know you cant stand the thought of someone else getting a shot at it. Just give Karthik one chance, if he doesnt do well, then your patel can come back in. Patel can stay in the test squad but like laxman, he's not a one-day player. Understand that I'm not trying to constantly insult Patel, it's just that I see so much talent in Karthik that shouldnt be wasted. If you want to argue about Karthik vs. Patel go here http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8969

2. Ganguly should come down to number 4 or 5. He stinks at #3, all he does is defend and waste time. He would be a great #5 batsman because he can play spinners and also play some big shots.

3. Laxman OUT, this guy is a god in test cricket but one-day just isnt his thing. He has a hard time finding the gap like Patel and isnt used to taking singles.

4. Call me crazy, I know you will, but I've seen this kid and that's the reason why I'm saying all this. I think Karthik or yuvraj should come at #3, go ahead and laugh. IF HE PLAYS TO HIS POTENTIAL AND IS GIVEN AS MUCH FREEDOM AND OPPORTUNITY AS PATEL (notice that I wrote that in caps), he would be successful at this position because karthik has a variety of shots that he can play and also hits some big sixes. So if he comes in when sehwag or sachin's wicket falls, the run rate wouldn't drop. Same thing if Yuvraj can bat at #3. If the top three fail, then you have Dravid, Ganguly, Karthik and Kaif who are more than capable of making a recovery. Knowing how closeminded some people are, I'm willing to listen to your insults at this suggestion.

5. Zaheer should be fully fit. period. he's too good of a bowler for india to risk. If he keeps playing injured then it's just gonna get worse and eventually lead to something much more serious. India cannot afford that. Munaf Patel could be a good replacement. Unlike the other indian fast bowlers who rely on line and lenght, Munaf has pace. I'm not saying he'll succeed but it could be worth it to experiment. Balaji needs some competition because there is no other right arm bowler. Munaf has a bowling average of 24 in both domestic and list A limited overs cricket, but I dont know if he's up to international standards.

1. Sachin
2. Sehwag
3. Karthik/Yuvraj
4. Dravid
5. Ganguly
6. Karthik/Yuvraj
7. Kaif
8. Pathan
9. Balaji/Munaf Patel (right arm bowler)
10. Bhajji
11. Nehra

any suggestions?

Swervy

International Captain
la28 said:
We obviously need to change somethings before the Holland Cup. .......
1. Sachin
2. Sehwag
3. Karthik/Yuvraj
4. Dravid
5. Ganguly
6. Karthik/Yuvraj
7. Kaif
8. Pathan
9. Balaji/Munaf Patel (right arm bowler)
10. Bhajji
11. Nehra

any suggestions?
think you may well be opening a whole old can of worms here..I am sure there is a thread around here somewhere about these types of things.

What I dont understand is..India , a lot of talent,why the big selection problems...this team have supposedly the best batting in the world,and in depth,why the big traumas over it

la28

Cricket Spectator
Swervy said:
think you may well be opening a whole old can of worms here..I am sure there is a thread around here somewhere about these types of things.

What I dont understand is..India , a lot of talent,why the big selection problems...this team have supposedly the best batting in the world,and in depth,why the big traumas over it
India's supposedly great batting line up failed to get 229 runs on the board and the only reason why we made it past 200 was because of Zaheer khan. I think this obviously means some changes need to be made, even if it requires having to drop big names like laxman from the one-day team.

Swervy

International Captain
la28 said:
India's supposedly great batting line up failed to get 229 runs on the board and the only reason why we made it past 200 was because of Zaheer khan. I think this obviously means some changes need to be made, even if it requires having to drop big names like laxman from the one-day team.
There is a generalisation coming up in a second..if you dont want to see it, look away now....

Indian fans get too down because of a game or two not going right for them...and get to high when a game or two goes well.

Yeah the Indian batting struggled a bit in the final...its only one game. Yeah India didnt play that well through the tournament, these things happen. It doesnt make India all of a sudden a bad ODI batting team.

remember Sri Lanka are very very tough to beat in Sri Lanka, as far as I would say a lot of people were concerned, SL were probably faves to win that Asia Cup from the start.

What this does show is that India arent so far ahead of the trailing pack as many a fan thought they were not that long ago. Dame One Day Cricket is a fickle lady, and it pays to not be too ****y about it....maybe Indian supporters expectations of the team were a bit too high,and maybe reality has bitten since the fantasy world of the World Cup.

Reality is..Tendulkar isnt as breath takingly good as he was...he is still good though..Sehwag isnt (yet) setting the world a light with his performances in a way many people thought he would (people thought he was the new Tendulkar...NO HE ISNT, HE NEVER WILL BE)...India still struggle in the bowling dept, despite whoever the new kid from the block is..DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE as Public Enemy once said.

If the Indian batting line up is talented enough (which it is) these problems will sort themselves out.Subtle changes in batting order arent going to make that much difference really

Tom Halsey

International Coach
la28 said:
Less than a year ago, Laxmann went on that run of centuries, and everyone was hailing him. How people's opinions change so quickly.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What I can't grasp is the number of different solutions for the Indian team, all of which are different, and none of which take into account the fact that there's a large group of sides in ODI who are ery evenly matched, and can beat each other on any given day!

V Reddy

International Debutant
Tom Halsey said:
Less than a year ago, Laxmann went on that run of centuries, and everyone was hailing him. How people's opinions change so quickly.

He is best suited to No.3 but don't know why the team thinktank changed his position :@

V Reddy

International Debutant
Swervy said:
There is a generalisation coming up in a second..if you dont want to see it, look away now....

Indian fans get too down because of a game or two not going right for them...and get to high when a game or two goes well.

Yeah the Indian batting struggled a bit in the final...its only one game. Yeah India didnt play that well through the tournament, these things happen. It doesnt make India all of a sudden a bad ODI batting team.

remember Sri Lanka are very very tough to beat in Sri Lanka, as far as I would say a lot of people were concerned, SL were probably faves to win that Asia Cup from the start.

What this does show is that India arent so far ahead of the trailing pack as many a fan thought they were not that long ago. Dame One Day Cricket is a fickle lady, and it pays to not be too ****y about it....maybe Indian supporters expectations of the team were a bit too high,and maybe reality has bitten since the fantasy world of the World Cup.

Reality is..Tendulkar isnt as breath takingly good as he was...he is still good though..Sehwag isnt (yet) setting the world a light with his performances in a way many people thought he would (people thought he was the new Tendulkar...NO HE ISNT, HE NEVER WILL BE)...India still struggle in the bowling dept, despite whoever the new kid from the block is..DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE as Public Enemy once said.

If the Indian batting line up is talented enough (which it is) these problems will sort themselves out.Subtle changes in batting order arent going to make that much difference really

Top post :)

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:

super stuff that. absolutely spot on!!
.... though i would love to see tendulkar prove you wrong about him :p

masterblaster

International Captain
RE Your Changes:

1. NO - Dinesh Karthik is still untried, if he still excells in domestic cricket for a year or two, and if Parthiv continually fails then we swap them, for now Parthiv is doing alright.

2. YES - Ganguly at 4

3. NO - VVS Laxman should be in the side. Three ODI Centuries in a week against the likes of Australia and a strong(er) Zimbabwe side then the current one suggests this

4. NO - Yuvraj at 3....Nah

5. YES - But will Zaheer ever be fit?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Some aspects which the Indian team need to consider very seriously are the lack of a genuine all-rounder (he can play in place of a seventh batsman), the lack of a fully functional fielding unit (the captain and wicketkeeper are weak links), need for bowlers of express pace (no point playing 3 medium-pacers), attacking fields for strike bowlers Pathan and Kumble, proper support bowling, the role of power players and above all issues, fitness.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
If the Indian team should improve, they should be receptive to changes, even if they go deep. All possible options should be kept open. Teams like Australia, SA, NZ and even SL have as many as 11 backup players for the original 15. The Indian team, on the other hand, is just an excluive club, so even if the starting lineup is consistently underperforming, and there is a lot of competition from outside, there are no changes, so no improvement happens. The selectors have to look beyond the starting lineup. For instance, Salvi and Bhandari definitely deserve international recalls.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
la28 said:
1. Patel OUT, Karthik IN- for all you PP fans, I know you cant stand the thought of someone else getting a shot at it. Just give Karthik one chance, if he doesnt do well, then your patel can come back in. Patel can stay in the test squad but like laxman, he's not a one-day player. Understand that I'm not trying to constantly insult Patel, it's just that I see so much talent in Karthik that shouldnt be wasted. If you want to argue about Karthik vs. Patel go here http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8969
I absolutely agree. And I am glad it has happened. Even though Patel has been quite alright in tests, he just doesn't cut it in ODIs. If India is not going to make Dravid keep, then Dinesh Karthik should be in the side. At #7, a batter is required to hit the bowlers as HARD as he can. Patel doesn't have the strength to do this. If Dinesh Karthik does well in the ODIs, he should repace Patel in tests as well.

2. Ganguly should come down to number 4 or 5. He stinks at #3, all he does is defend and waste time. He would be a great #5 batsman because he can play spinners and also play some big shots.
dont agree with this. I want Ganguly to go back to opening. Sachin is not the same player he used to be. He doesn't take any risk at all anymore. A opener has got to take risks and hit over the top. Sachin has become a dravid-kinda player now. Ganguly will be more aggressive. Also with Ganguly opening, there is a left-right combination at the top of the order.

3. Laxman OUT, this guy is a god in test cricket but one-day just isnt his thing. He has a hard time finding the gap like Patel and isnt used to taking singles.
Absolutely. He's such a good player in tests and I love in when he's batting coz he's got so much flair. But he's a bunny in ODIs and always will be. Just coz he hit 3 hundreds in a week doesn't mean he can score in the single digits for the next one year. His average without his 5 hundreds during the same period is a pathetic 16.50. A middle order batter has got to be more reliable than that. IMO, a middle order batter should avg atleast 24 w/o his big scores.

4. Call me crazy, I know you will, but I've seen this kid and that's the reason why I'm saying all this. I think Karthik or yuvraj should come at #3, go ahead and laugh. IF HE PLAYS TO HIS POTENTIAL AND IS GIVEN AS MUCH FREEDOM AND OPPORTUNITY AS PATEL (notice that I wrote that in caps), he would be successful at this position because karthik has a variety of shots that he can play and also hits some big sixes. So if he comes in when sehwag or sachin's wicket falls, the run rate wouldn't drop. Same thing if Yuvraj can bat at #3. If the top three fail, then you have Dravid, Ganguly, Karthik and Kaif who are more than capable of making a recovery. Knowing how closeminded some people are, I'm willing to listen to your insults at this suggestion.
I'd have Kaif at #4 for the time being. Kaif is more suited to #4 than #7. At #7, I'd want a guy who can hit the ball hard. But India need to think about Badani replacing Kaif. Badani has performed every chance he got but unfortunately hasn't been able to make the team.

5. Zaheer should be fully fit. period. he's too good of a bowler for india to risk. If he keeps playing injured then it's just gonna get worse and eventually lead to something much more serious. India cannot afford that. Munaf Patel could be a good replacement. Unlike the other indian fast bowlers who rely on line and lenght, Munaf has pace. I'm not saying he'll succeed but it could be worth it to experiment. Balaji needs some competition because there is no other right arm bowler. Munaf has a bowling average of 24 in both domestic and list A limited overs cricket, but I dont know if he's up to international standards.
Yup totally agree.

My team would look like this:

1. Sehwag
2. Ganguly
3. Tendulkar
4. Kaif or Badani
5. Dravid
6. Yuvraj
7. Dinesh Karthik (or another batter if Dravid is gonna keep)
8. Pathan
9. Balaji
10. Kumble
11. Nehra

ReallyCrazy

Banned
masterblaster said:
RE Your Changes:

1. NO - Dinesh Karthik is still untried, if he still excells in domestic cricket for a year or two, and if Parthiv continually fails then we swap them, for now Parthiv is doing alright.
ummm I don't think India should wait for a whole year or two while Parthiv continually fails. Dinesh Karthik has proven himself more than Patel did when he first made the team.

3. NO - VVS Laxman should be in the side. Three ODI Centuries in a week against the likes of Australia and a strong(er) Zimbabwe side then the current one suggests this
other than those 5 hundreds in the last year, what has Laxman done? If he is a smashing opener (like Jayasuriya or Sehwag or Gilchrist), it's OK. But he's a middle order batter. He's gotta be more reliable. As I already said, his average is a glorious 16.50 if you don't count his hundreds in the same time period. Besides, his 3 hundreds in a week doesn't give him the privelege of being in a slumber and waking up once in a blue moon.

masterblaster

International Captain
But he DID score those 100's, why on earth are you taking them out?!

If he didn't score them, and he in fact really averaged 16.50 then fine, but to take away achievements of a player is just plain ridiculous.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
What I can't grasp is the number of different solutions for the Indian team, all of which are different, and none of which take into account the fact that there's a large group of sides in ODI who are ery evenly matched, and can beat each other on any given day!
that is right.. its just a matter of whos in form , and which team takes the better advantage of the other in the game on the day and uses conditions best to their use.. etc..

Sudeep

International Captain
Check Yuvraj's average excluding all his high scores, and I'm sure that wouldn't be a pretty figure either.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Sudeep said:
Check Yuvraj's average excluding all his high scores, and I'm sure that wouldn't be a pretty figure either.
bloody hell... take any players high scores and surely all their averages will be crap! Dah!!