• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's Doosra

Is it illegal ?

• yes it is illegal

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • no its not illegal

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Cant say without proof

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • whose murali ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
I still maintain that Murali Karthik does not bowl a doosra anyway .
Certainly if he does it's news to me. :)
Maybe it should have been titled "Muttiah Muralitharan's wrong-'un". To avoid confusion such as this... :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nnanden said:
think for yourself!! if you have seen him bowl it and you know the rules, then surely you can make up you own mind?
No, not so.
We've seen many times that most people accusing Murali of chucking, whatever ball, either haven't had adequete material or don't know the rules.
The fact is, learned scientists have said that his stock-ball is legal and his wrong-'un is not. I don't see how people who don't have the technology that they do can possibly believe they know better and have the authority to question the scientists.
Sanz's view strikes me as the logical one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Is it just me or is this prime flame war fuel?

:ph34r: You are being watched :ph34r:
Nice to have you back, Neil, but Corey's covered the flame-war problems pretty well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Jesus :) its being banned...hence why he cant bowl it anymore when normal people who are picked for throwing can normally carry on till they are tested. If he hadnt stopped bowling it the ICC would have banned him from bowling ANY ball.

It was tested and found to break the law. Hence its illigal, untill the icc decide to change the law or not to make it legal. No more testing is needed. 8-)
I agree with most of this, but there is more testing needed - whenever Murali thinks he's fixed the problem. But I'm sure he can organise that.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
This arguement will never end, even if his doosra is cleared or not. But what worries me more is the impact its had on murali's bowling perfromance.
Guys is it just me or does anyone else notice that his Doosra has never really been his main weapon over the years? was it not in the Aussie tour of SL that he first bowled it? wasnt that 5 months ago? hasn't he taken 400+ wickets with his regualr off spinner and his top spinner? why is murali so affected by not being able to bowl the doosra and why do the commentators make it out to seem as if he has been deprived of his main weapon when it is indeed just a very recent addition to his bowling?
in fact i believe the doosra made him very predictable if at all. he has stopped concentrating on his ripping off spinner that he bowls wider outside the off stump and is bowling more of a off/middle stump line and ends up turning the ball down leg and ends up not threatening the batsmen.

Scallywag

Banned
Ranatunga and Murali both stated that he had been bowling it for years and that they only named and announced the doosra when playing Australia. I believe a tactical response to Warnie naming a new ball for each new series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
dude said:
This arguement will never end, even if his doosra is cleared or not. But what worries me more is the impact its had on murali's bowling perfromance.
Guys is it just me or does anyone else notice that his Doosra has never really been his main weapon over the years? was it not in the Aussie tour of SL that he first bowled it? wasnt that 5 months ago? hasn't he taken 400+ wickets with his regualr off spinner and his top spinner? why is murali so affected by not being able to bowl the doosra and why do the commentators make it out to seem as if he has been deprived of his main weapon when it is indeed just a very recent addition to his bowling?
in fact i believe the doosra made him very predictable if at all. he has stopped concentrating on his ripping off spinner that he bowls wider outside the off stump and is bowling more of a off/middle stump line and ends up turning the ball down leg and ends up not threatening the batsmen.
I've certainly missed that wide, massive off-break-to-the-right-hander where he steps back to cut and is bowled leg-stump.
One of the most thrilling dismissals of all.
Haven't seen it for a long, long time.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
Scallywag said:
Ranatunga and Murali both stated that he had been bowling it for years and that they only named and announced the doosra when playing Australia. I believe a tactical response to Warnie naming a new ball for each new series.
Well i dont go with either of their claims if they say he ever spun it much(thus making the delivery efficient) in any other series other than the australia tour and sl tour of zim. in fact i'll go on to state i've never seen murali bowl the wrong -un(DOOSRA) and spin it like a leg spin at any time before the Aussie tour

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
I've certainly missed that wide, massive off-break-to-the-right-hander where he steps back to cut and is bowled leg-stump.
One of the most thrilling dismissals of all.
Haven't seen it for a long, long time.
i totally agree with you on that one richard, no other delivery did it for me! That in my belief was his strength and he seems to have forgotten his beginnings here.

Scallywag

Banned
dude said:
Well i dont go with either of their claims if they say he ever spun it much(thus making the delivery efficient) in any other series other than the australia tour and sl tour of zim. in fact i'll go on to state i've never seen murali bowl the wrong -un(DOOSRA) and spin it like a leg spin at any time before the Aussie tour

I would think that Murali knows what he has bowled a little better than what you would. Are you calling him a liar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
dude said:
To be fair he certainly bowled it plenty in the England series - he made Thorpe, who played him so exceptionally 3 years before, look like a novice thanks to it.
No-one was constantly dubbing it the "doosra" then (as far as I'm concerned, anyway, the "doosra" is a fingerspinner's ball, the one belonging to Saqlain and Harbhajan), but he was certainly bowling a wrong-'un with devestating effect.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
idiot...

from SMH.com.au

A small scoreboard was erected at Galle during the first Test between Sri Lanka and South Africa to show how far Muttiah Muralitharan was getting ahead of Australia's Shane Warne as the game's most prolific wicket taker.

What the board didn't detail, though, was how poorly Murali appeared to be bowling. Starting the game square with Warne on 527 wickets, he ended up on 532 after a match haul of 5-167.

Captain Marvan Atapattu admitted the Sri Lankan tweaker had been somewhat less effective than usual.

The reason? No doosra.

It was a significant admission.

Murali's wrong'un has been banned by the International Cricket Council until the completion of further research into his action, and it seems the loss of the delivery is affecting him.

Needing 10 wickets on a crumbling last-day pitch on home turf - ideal conditions for Murali - Sri Lanka were unable to secure victory as he took 1-30 from 20 overs. The match ended in a draw on Sunday.

Muralitharan opted against playing Australia recently for "personal reasons", but admitted in an interview with The Observer newspaper that he thought it wouldn't have been fair to bowl to the world champion Australians without his doosra unless the hosts were forced to use "thinner bats".

"Every bowler has hard days," Atapattu said during the Test. "We are too used to Murali getting five wickets every match. It can't happen every time. It would have been better had he been able to bowl the doosra, though."

Murali has one more Test to come against South Africa before Warne gets a golden opportunity to claim the record when Australia play four Tests in India.

JBH001

International Regular
I am glad that Murali is having trouble without the doosra.
As I recall he was a better (and purer off spinner) bowler without it.
Its a recent addition he has been working on for the last 5 years and perhaps seen in test matches over the last 2 - 3 years.
The main reason for its use and innovation being that Murali (being a standard big spinning stock offie) has always had trouble bowling to good lefties.
Ever since he became doosra obsessed he has been consistently bowling a straighter line at the stumps and basing his attack around the overrated doosra.
Perhaps this will make his remember his bowling and - once again - base his attack around the stock Offie bowled outside off stump.
It may take him some time - and an attitude readjustment - but he may be a better and fairer bowler for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
Murali has one more Test to come against South Africa before Warne gets a golden opportunity to claim the record when Australia play four Tests in India.
I really hope this record changes hands so often that people begin to realise that it matters not who is currently in possession but who ends in possession.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Arf'noon all.

My first post round these parts so thought I'd add my twopenneth worth.

IMHO I think a lot of the (frankly at times tiresome) debate around Murali's action, both for his Doosra & standard offie, is its sheer unconventionality, coupled with its extreme effectiveness.

I mean no offence & the legality of his stock offie has been well established, but I think it looks awful to the naked eye. I first saw him in the flesh at The Oval in '99 when he took (from memory) 16. No debate about its effectiveness, but from beyond the rope & with the benefit of a fair bit of refreshment it looked v dodgy.

He's far from alone in that, of course. Maybe if Kirtley or Lawson (to pick two arbitrary examples of bowlers I consider to have suspect looking actions) take 500 test wickets we'll put the debate to bed.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
well dont know bout you guys but in my view murali only started bowling his doosra, the delivery that actually spun from leg to off in the aussie series., in the seires prior to that or the england tour it was more of a under developed delivery or even just the top spinner. but in the tour of australia, he actually spun the wrong one enormously!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I really hope this record changes hands so often that people begin to realise that it matters not who is currently in possession but who ends in possession.

:-O :-O :-O

i agree (as long as Warne wins :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.