• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaz, Waz and all that Jazz

Your opinion of cricket coverage by Indian channels?

• Good

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Uh..well..

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Are they covering cricket?

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket fans in India would share a similar opinion. Cricket coverage in India is at an all time low. Just watching a match on an Indian channel makes you wonder- are they covering a cricket match? They don't talk much about the game and try to be too glamorous- as ESPNSTAR has proven with Shaz, Waz and all that Jazz.

The annoying trend started with Sony MAX in the ICC Champions Trophy. A loud, pop-art style coverage, known as 'Extraaa Innings', made its entry, with Charu Sharma and, of all anchors, Ruby Bhatia (a former music channel anchor), hosting the show. Clearly, Ruby was added just for glamour, and did not seem to be a serious cricket fan. Plus, there were several gimmicks such as there was a character from a hit movie in the stands, a cartoon tiger for eery occasion, strange prediction contests, Tarot card reading sessions and above all, silly discussions in pre-match, mid-match and post-match shows. Once, the anchors even asked Glenn McGrath about his batting, when they could ask him for tips on fast bowling!

The commentary team always made themselves conspicuous by their bloopers, especially Shrikanth. Not to mention, they also had Robin Singh and Venkatesh Prasad, who did not seem right for a commentary box. The rest of the commentators, especialy lesser seen and heard ones, such as Anshuman Gaikwad and Vinod Kambli, and also Roshan Mahanama, were just extras. And who can forget Mandira Bedi? The only saving grace were the presence of Mark Nicholas, Jeff Thomson and some more famous names. Luckily, the Sky Sports coverage was relayed by DoorDarshan, so I stayed with that channel.

The next one to follow was DD Sport, with "Fourth Umpire". We remember Wisden 20:20, a very interesting, and even educational, analysis of each match, which was definitely a top class analysis session. But "Fourth Umpire" changed it all- silly contests, a Tarot Card reader and their answer to Mandira- what has DD come to? Even ESPNSTAR, who have been one of the best channels covering Indian cricket, introduced the "Shaz and Waz show", where Ravi Shastri and Wasim Akram dress in casuals and talk to female fans voted by the viewers, in the studio. What they did in the Asia Cup doesn't need a mention.

Why do TV channels do this? Cricket, as we all know, is a national passion in the country. These channels get a lot of money showing the game as it is. There is no need to add extra glamour to the sport. A lot of Indian cricket fans are serious fans and don't approve of this. Whom are they trying to impress? At least Ten Sports is sticking to the game they cover, which is not so bad. Their coverage of the India-Pakistan series stood out.

If you're not watching the game in India, do you come across this brand of cricket coverage there? Your opinion?

Top 3 channels that cover the game:
Sky Sports (England)
Ten Sports (Pakistan, Sri Lanka)
Channel 9 (Australia)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I really wouldn't know about cricket coverage in India(as I don't live in India), but if you're listing Sky Sports as one of the top three channels that cover cricket it must be bad. I am of the opinion that Sky Sports a pathetic second to Channel 4 in England, while the undesputed champion of cricket coverage is Australias Channel 9

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Channel Nine at times sound rather biased and are always quite harsh, which I find annoying.

At least Sky Sports cover cricket the way it should be done. They do a better job than those incompetents from Sony MAX.

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, SET MAX, for one, is simply pathetic. I never watch that, even if I have nothing better to do. It is worthless, for all the reasons that you've pointed out, Arjun bhai.

Until before the recent Ind-Aus test series, the coverage from ESPN-STAR used to be phenomenal. All the analysis with Boycott, Gavaskar and Shastri, hosted by Bhogle....it was all really good.

And Sidhu and Wilko at the back wern't that bad, either. I always hated Sidhu, though, and thought that we would be better off once he did get fired. But Sidhu was 100 times better than this frivolous nonsense they throw on us. Atleast you could laugh at the stupidity of those 'Sidhuisms'

Cricket viewing for the serious fan is in a decline, and there's not much we can do about it :(

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
arjwiz said:
Well, SET MAX, for one, is simply pathetic. I never watch that, even if I have nothing better to do. It is worthless, for all the reasons that you've pointed out, Arjun bhai.
On which channel did you watch the World Cup?

The worst news for serious cricket fans in India is that MAX will return, to haunt them, by covering the Amsterdam series and then the Champions Trophy. Hopefully Doordarshan will provide backup. Even better if MAX suddenly hike their prices.

Deja moo

International Captain
Ten Sports has the best coverage currently.

Sanjay Manjrekar is fast becoming my favourite commentator. He is soo level headed .

Craig

World Traveller
The things I don't like about Ch 9 are:

- Cutting off the cricket coverage to show us boring game shows like 'The Price is Right' and cutting off the coverage on the GC to show us 'The Gold Coast News' when Ch 9 promised to go right through until Steve Waugh got his 100 or got out, did they do it, no.

- Unless the game is sold out, coverage of international matches in that host city doesn't commence until 2.30pm, thankfully I have found other means of getting coverage for matches in Brisbane.

I think Fox Sports do a great job in showing cricket from all over the globe.

Sudeep

International Captain
Deja moo said:
Ten Sports has the best coverage currently.

Sanjay Manjrekar is fast becoming my favourite commentator. He is soo level headed .
I'd still rate ESPN Star first, just a little ahead of Ten Sports.

But yes, Shaz and Waz show is utter crap.

Sudeep

International Captain
Arjun said:
On which channel did you watch the World Cup?

The worst news for serious cricket fans in India is that MAX will return, to haunt them, by covering the Amsterdam series and then the Champions Trophy. Hopefully Doordarshan will provide backup. Even better if MAX suddenly hike their prices.
Charu Sharma and Mandira Bedi were pathetic.

I used to watch ESPN Star's preview and review shows, which despite the unavailability of pictures from the ground, were much better than the stupid stuff brought to us by MAX.

Sehwag309

Banned
Ahh Yes, the fancy extra programs they show in India. It's been a while since I watched cricket in India.

Heard about this Shaz Waz thing, what is it exactly. Any Pics

Sudeep

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
Ahh Yes, the fancy extra programs they show in India. It's been a while since I watched cricket in India.

Heard about this Shaz Waz thing, what is it exactly. Any Pics

It's a mid-match show hosted by Ravi Shastri and Wasim Akram. They started it during the Aussie series. Was just about decent them, has grown to become pathetic now.

They basically start with some cricket discussion. But that's the only good part. The bad part is each match a female from the live crowd is called into the studios to have a chat with Shaz and Waz, so they can cheap flirt with her. This female is selected out of three nominations, by votes sent in by viewers through SMS. Gautam Bhimani, who otherwise is an excellent presented, is reduced to being bashed by the women nominated.

Crap, seriously... Can't believe ESPN Star are going ahead with it, when Harsha Bhogle could easily chat with other commentators about the play during mid-match break...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Sudeep said:
Crap, seriously... Can't believe ESPN Star are going ahead with it, when Harsha Bhogle could easily chat with other commentators about the play during mid-match break...
I haven't watched the recent games but i think it was 20 mins about Cricket and 10 mins of this Shaz and Waz show during the Aus series which i think was pretty good. Has it really detiriorated now?

Waughney

International Debutant
Craig said:
The things I don't like about Ch 9 are:

- Cutting off the cricket coverage to show us boring game shows like 'The Price is Right' and cutting off the coverage on the GC to show us 'The Gold Coast News' when Ch 9 promised to go right through until Steve Waugh got his 100 or got out, did they do it, no.
Don't get me started on that.... :-O :@ damn Price Is Right
Craig said:
- Unless the game is sold out, coverage of international matches in that host city doesn't commence until 2.30pm, thankfully I have found other means of getting coverage for matches in Brisbane.
I don't mind, gets more people through the gate....

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I don't mind channel 9, depends who is commentating. Richie always makes it good, hes an absolute legend:D

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't watched the recent games but i think it was 20 mins about Cricket and 10 mins of this Shaz and Waz show during the Aus series which i think was pretty good. Has it really detiriorated now?
Definitely.. why else would they have Priyanka Chopra on the show?

Channel 9 is always worth watching for Richie Benaud.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Charu Sharma and Mandira Bedi were pathetic.

I used to watch ESPN Star's preview and review shows, which despite the unavailability of pictures from the ground, were much better than the stupid stuff brought to us by MAX.
Had you mentioned this earlier on the CricInfo forums, where I used to post then, I could have told you about the World Cup coverage on DoorDarshan, direct from Sky Sports, which was far better, and very clear.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure between Channel 4 and Sky in england, they are both pretty good IMO.
Channel 4 standard is generally consistently good, i like Benaud and Hughes and Michael Slater when he is on.

I feel Sky has an advantage because they have county coverage and can blood new commentators. This has shown itself in Ian Ward who is IMO a very good new commentator, Nasser Hussain who against my predictions has started well as a commentator and now watching the twenty20 i have been very impressed with Nick Knight, he is very articulate and clearly intelligent. I also love David Lloyds commentary.

They both have commentators i don't like but they are quite good overall, i think the coverage has got a lot better since BBC lost the coverage.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Channel 4 has gone up a military mile in my estimation. Last year, they seemed all too eager to pull away from the cricket in order to show re-runs of 'Hollyoaks', but the sensible decision to start the day's play half an hour earlier has brought forth a little 'give and take' on all sides.
It still must be a little galling for those without satellite or cable on a saturday afternoon when the coverage is shared with the gee-gees and the uninterrupted cricket is on FilmFour, but that's better than it used to be on the Beeb.

Sky are still No 1 in my opinion for sheer quality, but it's a close-run thing. Bumble swings it - he rules.

PY

International Coach
I don't have Sky and I can say those horse breaks are bloody annoying.

I've only seen a few days on Sky coverage and they seem fairly even with Channel 4 but I have seen lots of highlights packages from both and I think that is where Sky does a lot better. The highlights from Channel 4 in my opinion are utterly atrocious.

Though I agree with you Eddie that moving the coverage 30 mins back has made a lot of difference.