• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Giles in PWC top Ten!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/AUG/013869_WCI_02AUG2004.html

Muttiah Muralitharan 886 -
Shaun Pollock 837 +1
Steve Harmison 834 -1
Shoaib Akhtar 826 -
Glenn McGrath 805 -
Shane Warne 762 -
Anil Kumble 751 -
Jason Gillespie 740 -
Makhaya Ntini 722 -
Ashley Giles 655 +9

Fair play to the lad for his bowling recently but top ten in the world?!??!
Seriously it must tell us something about the standard of bowling if Giles gets in the top ten after 3/4 good matches and Flintoff averages 50 over a year with the bat and only gets to number 31

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
superkingdave said:
http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/AUG/013869_WCI_02AUG2004.html

Muttiah Muralitharan 886 -
Shaun Pollock 837 +1
Steve Harmison 834 -1
Shoaib Akhtar 826 -
Glenn McGrath 805 -
Shane Warne 762 -
Anil Kumble 751 -
Jason Gillespie 740 -
Makhaya Ntini 722 -
Ashley Giles 655 +9

Fair play to the lad for his bowling recently but top ten in the world?!??!
Seriously it must tell us something about the standard of bowling if Giles gets in the top ten after 3/4 good matches and Flintoff averages 50 over a year with the bat and only gets to number 31
there are more batsmen than bowlers so i guess it is easier (if thats the word to use) to jump up the rankings

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Although 10 does flatter Giles to a degree, at least now I hope he's now killed the fallacy that was the Cat.

He's now won games at home and away (in fact was close to winning a 3rd consecutive MOM at home in the Test that just finished)

His average is now less than Tufnell, and he's played a similar number of games for a similar number of wickets.

Added to that, he can also bat and field!

viktor

State Vice-Captain
i haevn't watched the games but Giles running thru sides is really weird...are the windies bad players of spin or r the wickets real turners (most of the articles in brit papers are idolatory, so no use guessing from them)or ..... has he really improved that much????

Craig

World Traveller
viktor said:
i haevn't watched the games but Giles running thru sides is really weird...are the windies bad players of spin or r the wickets real turners (most of the articles in brit papers are idolatory, so no use guessing from them)or ..... has he really improved that much????
I wouldn't say the wicket at Edgbatson was a real turner.

I guess a combination of good bowling and poor shot selection was the reason. In saying that Giles a catch dropped by Vaughan, one that most people would take without difficulty off Chanderpaul.

At least I suppose he isn't a bowling way outside leg stump to the right hander just waiting for him to get himself out. To me that is negative bowling.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
At least I suppose he isn't a bowling way outside leg stump to the right hander just waiting for him to get himself out. To me that is negative bowling.

Funny how he only really did this on one occasion (and guess what, it worked!) yet is always getting bagged for it!

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Funny how he only really did this on one occasion (and guess what, it worked!) yet is always getting bagged for it!
It's a bit more than once, actually. There've been a couple of other instances where he's been brought on to slow things down and used that negative tactic - not that negative tactics are eschewed by everyone, as New Zealand can testify with regard to McGrath bowling very wide to prevent them scoring in the First Test of their last series in Australia.

The problem quite a few people have with him going over the wicket to the right-hander is that they can't quite see how a bowler who effectively rules lbw out can be an attacking bowler. Unfortunately, one such person is Christopher Moron-Jenkins and another is the utterly fatuous Blowhard, so whenever they are commentating and Giles is bowling OTW, you get a constant whine about how much they dislike everything that's happened since 1959 and Giles in particular, and the rest of the world takes away an unfair impression of him.

Cheers,

Mike

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Shoiab does deserve to be there, because although he has a few bad games (or maybe a lot of bad games), on a good day there are very few better in the world (as the NZ batting lineup could tell you!).

FRAZ

International Captain
_Ed_ said:
I think Shoiab does deserve to be there, because although he has a few bad games (or maybe a lot of bad games), on a good day there are very few better in the world (as the NZ batting lineup could tell you!).
Well there is no need for a bowler who is gonna become a permenent disgrace for the team . I guess Shoaib,s perfoirmance has been effected a lot cuz now he has to perform on his own after Wasim and Waqar . And also the youngsters try to follow him a lot and they are playing with temper and not by heart and brain . Thats why I never believed in any ranking . Because rankings are nothing but garbage ..Inzimam is the dumbest captain that any team has ever produced and he is such an A$$ clown that he cannot extract any thing from the team ..

Langeveldt

Soutie
the PWC rankings seem to be too heavily loaded on current form rather than extended class.. (Harmison better than McGrath??)

And it just shows the complete dominance of bat over ball, shame..

Langeveldt

Soutie
FRAZ said:
Well there is no need for a bowler who is gonna become a permenent disgrace for the team . I guess Shoaib,s perfoirmance has been effected a lot cuz now he has to perform on his own after Wasim and Waqar . And also the youngsters try to follow him a lot and they are playing with temper and not by heart and brain . Thats why I never believed in any ranking . Because rankings are nothing but garbage ..Inzimam is the dumbest captain that any team has ever produced and he is such an A$$ clown that he cannot extract any thing from the team ..
I wouldn't call Shoaib a permanant disgrace to the team, just a bit of an arrogant tosser...
As for Inzamam, I think he is a better captain than Lara.. And what has standards of captaincy got to do with batting ratings anyway?

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
the PWC rankings seem to be too heavily loaded on current form rather than extended class.. (Harmison better than McGrath??)

but any ratings system shouldnt be based on performances from ages ago...its should be (and is) an indication of the effectiveness of a player now or in recent history.

Why shouldnt Harmison be rabnked higher than McGrath, he has done more in test cricket in the last year (and so has been more effective) than McGrath

FRAZ

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
I wouldn't call Shoaib a permanant disgrace to the team, just a bit of an arrogant tosser...
As for Inzamam, I think he is a better captain than Lara.. And what has standards of captaincy got to do with batting ratings anyway?
Inzamam thing was irrelevent , Just said it any ways .. Yes pity is the dominance of bat over ball

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
viktor said:
None of the Trent Bridge, Lord's or Edgbaston pitches have been raging dustbowls that have ripped wildly from the first morning.
But they have offered far more turn than any three consecutive wickets in England have, probably for about 50 years, and certainly at least 34.
And it's confirmed yet again what everyone who's watched properly has known for a long time now - Giles when the ball's turning is a very, very good bowler.

Andre

International Regular
Langeveldt said:

Bare in mind, McGrath missed almost 12 months of Test cricket recently, so that would have an affect - same with Warne.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Although 10 does flatter Giles to a degree, at least now I hope he's now killed the fallacy that was the Cat.

He's now won games at home and away (in fact was close to winning a 3rd consecutive MOM at home in the Test that just finished)

His average is now less than Tufnell, and he's played a similar number of games for a similar number of wickets.

Added to that, he can also bat and field!
Lol.

I think Tufnell had more natural ability, and could have been a great, but Giles has more discipline and fair play to him, he's taken advantage of that, and he deserves it.