• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Giles in PWC top Ten!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
the west indian batting lineup have generally been strong in home conditions, however with the pitches being totally different from what were expected its no surprise that they all failed miserably.

SO that still doesn't change the strength of them, just because they didn't perform that well on poor pitches.

What I don't understand is that prior to that series, the West Indian batting line up was pretty much universally regarded as a strong line-up, yet now they're just being written off as poor...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
yes they arent the worst batting side in the world but to quote marcs post "How come prior to the Windies series all the talk was about the strong West Indies line-up then?"

i wouldnt call them 'strong'
I would.

They may not be brilliant, but they are fairly strong.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Craig said:
I forgot everything England do are immune to critisim.

Relying on a guy to get somebody out, rather then get him out, shows how good you seem to trump him up to be.

Heck if a England bowler bowled a beamer at another batsman and got him out a few balls later you would still defend it.
What the hell is your problem?

Marc defended Gilo, and guess what?!? It turned out to be correct!

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
SO that still doesn't change the strength of them, just because they didn't perform that well on poor pitches.

What I don't understand is that prior to that series, the West Indian batting line up was pretty much universally regarded as a strong line-up, yet now they're just being written off as poor...
no the only time they have been 'strong' is in home conditions.....just like the SL batsmen tend to take to their home conditions. the pitches for the recent series at home were completely different from what their batsmen are used to and extremely capable in.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
I would.

well strong teams dont get all out in the 40s i can assure you.....i really cant think of too many batting lineups in the world that are worse than theirs......

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
I would.

nos. 3,4 and 5 (Sarwan, Lara and Chanderpaul)are strong, The rest of the team lean on them

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will Scarlet said:
Giles has improved significantly in the last year
No, he hasn't.
He's just bowled like he can bowl and, unusually, has got three pitches in England that helped him.
His bowling has not changed at all since 2000\01 - he's been every bit as good ever since as he was then and whenever he's got the chance he's shown so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
well strong teams dont get all out in the 40s i can assure you.....i really cant think of too many batting lineups in the world that are worse than theirs......
Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, to name two.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:

It has been no more or less correct now than it has ever been.
These three most recent Test-matches only show what has been shown in all three Pakistan Tests in 2000\01, the Third in Sri Lanka the same season, the Second in India the following winter, and the First and Second in Sri Lanka 2 winters on again.
Anyone who defends Giles, or more accurately fingerspinners in general, WRT selection on wickets that turn less than these last 3 have done remain incorrect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
Phil Tufnell was better
Nah, Tufnell wasn't as good as Giles IMO.
Both as capable as each other with the ball, Tufnell's volatility made him less valuable.
Trouble was, it also made people like him. Giles doesn't have this negative being turned into a positive.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nnanden said:
yes, cause if it was on performances from long ago, bradman would still be number one :p
Anyone who has specifically stated his retirement from Test or ODI cricket is immidiately removed from the relevant PWC ranking.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
Yes, he would get the nod, thanks to his attitude - but I still think Tuffers was a naturally better bowler - congratulations to Giles though for making the most of what he's got, he's proved he is more than handy at Test level.
What's "natural" about Tufnell's spin and accuracy that isn't "natural" about Giles' then?
Tufnell DID NOT spin the ball any more than Giles - Giles spins it as much as you can with your fingers, and they're about as accurate as each other so far as I can tell.
And Giles is surprisingly good at loop and dip, not in any way inferior to Tufnell.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
What's "natural" about Tufnell's spin and accuracy that isn't "natural" about Giles' then?
Tufnell DID NOT spin the ball any more than Giles - Giles spins it as much as you can with your fingers, and they're about as accurate as each other so far as I can tell.
And Giles is surprisingly good at loop and dip, not in any way inferior to Tufnell.

mmm. i agree with most of what you say here Richard, but I do think Tuffers gave the ball more of a tweak than Giles (esp. in the early days)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Anyone who has specifically stated his retirement from Test or ODI cricket is immidiately removed from the relevant PWC ranking.
Nnanden is TOLD!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
Tom Halsey said:
I have no problem. What is your problem?

All I am doing is expressing my opinion that tying down Tendulkar and what in the hope he will get himself out, rather then Giles trying to Tendulkar out.

Tom Halsey said:
You see unlike you, I have the guts to have my own opinion about Giles.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Craig said:
You see unlike you, I have the guts to have my own opinion about Giles.
Even though it's just been proved wrong in pretty spectacular fashion?

I don't get your comment that I don't have the guts to have my own opinion about him, I'm afraid.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Richard said:
*rich struggles to grasp at naths attempted humour..."

Nnanden is TOLD!!!!!!!!!
So true...