• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Giles in PWC top Ten!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
Lol.

I think Tufnell had more natural ability, and could have been a great, but Giles has more discipline and fair play to him, he's taken advantage of that, and he deserves it.
Having looked at their careers in comparison I find something amazing - Tufnell played only 3 games in Asia out of a career of 42 Tests!

Giles has 13 out of 38...

It'd be interesting to see who would be picked if both were in their prime at the same time - but I would guess Giles would get the nod due to his superior batting, fielding and attitude...

Timewell

U19 Debutant
I can't believe some people actually still criticise Gilo. He has proven that he is a top-class spinner. Overseas he is the only man for the job really...and these last three tests he knew he had to perform and boy has he done that. He deserves some recognition and a few apologies from the media for the "Wheelie bin" comments. Bloody Blofeld...

ash chaulk

International Captain
fo real Giles is awesome i remember watching him and alec stewart lose a One day match once against Australia

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Giles has improved significantly in the last year but he would have to do a hell of a lot more to realistically suggest he is one of the world's top ten bowlers. And it is not as though the Windies are a solid batting line-up.

It may be just me but English players seem to race up the rankings on a couple of good (not excellent) performances. NZ is now the 2nd rated ODI team but has barely any players ranked within the top 20 batsmen or bowlers. And I'm sick of hearing the bull**** TEAM reasoning.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Funny how he only really did this on one occasion (and guess what, it worked!) yet is always getting bagged for it!
I forgot everything England do are immune to critisim.

Relying on a guy to get somebody out, rather then get him out, shows how good you seem to trump him up to be.

Heck if a England bowler bowled a beamer at another batsman and got him out a few balls later you would still defend it.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Having looked at their careers in comparison I find something amazing - Tufnell played only 3 games in Asia out of a career of 42 Tests!

It'd be interesting to see who would be picked if both were in their prime at the same time - but I would guess Giles would get the nod due to his superior batting, fielding and attitude...
If you want the one spinner, then Giles is your man.

If you want two, then it would be good viewing to see how they would go in tandem.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I forgot everything England do are immune to critisim.
No they're not, but make things up if you want!

Craig said:
Relying on a guy to get somebody out, rather then get him out, shows how good you seem to trump him up to be.
Relying on someone to get someone out rather than getting them out?!

Craig said:
Heck if a England bowler bowled a beamer at another batsman and got him out a few balls later you would still defend it.
No I wouldn't if it were an intentional beamer.

But I don't see the relevance to a good over from Flintoff that lead to Lara's wicket.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Swervy said:
but any ratings system shouldnt be based on performances from ages ago...its should be (and is) an indication of the effectiveness of a player now or in recent history.

Why shouldnt Harmison be rabnked higher than McGrath, he has done more in test cricket in the last year (and so has been more effective) than McGrath
yes, cause if it was on performances from long ago, bradman would still be number one :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Will Scarlet said:
Giles has improved significantly in the last year but he would have to do a hell of a lot more to realistically suggest he is one of the world's top ten bowlers. And it is not as though the Windies are a solid batting line-up.
How come prior to the Windies series all the talk was about the strong West Indies line-up then?

Have they suddenly become useless overnight?

Will Scarlet said:
It may be just me but English players seem to race up the rankings on a couple of good (not excellent) performances. NZ is now the 2nd rated ODI team but has barely any players ranked within the top 20 batsmen or bowlers. And I'm sick of hearing the bull**** TEAM reasoning.
Giles has had 4 good Tests in 5 and been consistently climbing for a year or more.

Harmison climbed based on a run of good Tests, plus the fact that his ratng is more and more reaching it's maximum (through 100 wicket rule)

And the NZ team is the reason they're so high - they perform far beyond the sum of their parts.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
No they're not, but make things up if you want!
I was being sarcastic.

marc71178 said:
But I don't see the relevance to a good over from Flintoff that lead to Lara's wicket.
Maybe my eyes have failed me, but where on did I mention Flintoff?

Timewell

U19 Debutant
The ratings are based on recent form - so Giles is deservedly in the Top 10...how many times do I have to say this. It is only stating that he is one of the Top 10 bowlers for, more or less, the last few months. So it could be that one shocking performance where he got hammered around the park is now erased from where the rankings "start" and thus it increases his ratings slightly...

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
If you want the one spinner, then Giles is your man.

If you want two, then it would be good viewing to see how they would go in tandem.
it wouldnt go too well because they are both the same kind of bowlers.....

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
How come prior to the Windies series all the talk was about the strong West Indies line-up then?

Have they suddenly become useless overnight?
where was the talk about what strong west indies line up? theres one great batsman, one good batsman, one whos finally starting to live up to his potential and one who seems to be enjoying the pitches hes playing on. the rest are either useless or unproven.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There was lot of talk before the away series about the fact that both sides were very strong batting and weak bowling.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:

Yes, he would get the nod, thanks to his attitude - but I still think Tuffers was a naturally better bowler - congratulations to Giles though for making the most of what he's got, he's proved he is more than handy at Test level.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
where was the talk about what strong west indies line up? theres one great batsman, one good batsman, one whos finally starting to live up to his potential and one who seems to be enjoying the pitches hes playing on. the rest are either useless or unproven.
No side with Lara, Chanderpaul, and Sarwan in it can be a bad batting line up. That said, the WI tail is one of the longest in World cricket.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
There was lot of talk before the away series about the fact that both sides were very strong batting and weak bowling.
the west indian batting lineup have generally been strong in home conditions, however with the pitches being totally different from what were expected its no surprise that they all failed miserably.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
No side with Lara, Chanderpaul, and Sarwan in it can be a bad batting line up. That said, the WI tail is one of the longest in World cricket.
yes but look at the rest of the side.....how many of them would make it into other test sides in the world?

tooextracool

International Coach
yes they arent the worst batting side in the world but to quote marcs post "How come prior to the Windies series all the talk was about the strong West Indies line-up then?"

i wouldnt call them 'strong'