• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The end of the SCG?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Sky Sports News are reporting that the Telstra Stadium(Olympic stadium) has submitted a bid to host test matches in Sydney. They had interviews with some guy from NSW cricket who admitted that revenue was a factor, the general manager of the Telstra Stadium(who emphasised the good location of the Telstra) and Glenn Mcgrath who said that SCG was his favorite ground and that he hoped that cricket could continue there.

Anyone heard anything else? any views?

It has something to do with cricket NSW having a tender process for the right to host international cricket, Telstra would have twice the capacity of SCG

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Story Here

Quote: "Arguably the greatest cricket ground in the world is Lord's, yet I don't see the Poms shifting to a bigger venue. The second greatest is the SCG and if I was in Cricket NSW's shoes I'd be very careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water."

steds

Hall of Fame Member
But it would be a shame if they just dumped a perfectly good ground with loads of history and started playing tests at the Telstra Stadium

steds

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
LOL Old Trafford is a bit of a **** hole, we need to move to sport city!
ok, it isn't the nicest ground in the world, but its not that bad.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but with a retractable roof we might win the county championship!
(and its too near the manure for my liking)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Especially since with the expansion plans the capacity will be 55,000 its hardly tiny!
what's wrong with it then? How many want to get into the ground? Do Aussies not work or attend school and stuff?

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
The SCG is Lara and Sachin's favourite ground as well :( Hell, Lara even named his daughter Sydney due to his fondness of the SCG.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
steds said:
He didn't take Old Trafford into consideration
Having been there, I can only assume he has!

The queues for the bar are horrendous - why can't one have one's own personal drinks waiter there?

Craig

World Traveller
It will be a shame if Tests are not played in the SCG anymore, I could see the logic say moving for ODIs as you can fit 80,000 people in there.

Craig

World Traveller
arjwiz said:
The SCG is Lara and Sachin's favourite ground as well :( Hell, Lara even named his daughter Sydney due to his fondness of the SCG.
I think VVS Laxman might enjoy the SCG as well :happy: ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If they take Test-cricket away from the second-longest-serving ground in history it will be a tragedy of epic proportions.
Possibly the greatest tragedy in cricket - yes, worse still than the vandalism of the Sheffield Shield, where the trophy and both parts of the name were retired after 107-and-a-quarter years (or something like that).
Why on Earth couldn't it have been The Pura (Milk) Sheffield Shield?
And why can't we leave Tests and one ODI there and play the rest at Telstra Olympic Stadium? Or, indeed, why couldn't the Zimbabwe Test have been played at Telstra? Given that Sydney two now seems to be preferred to Bellerive.
What is it about Telstra and Australian stadiums anyway? It's as bad as Kiwis and WestPac Trust!
WestPac Trust Park, Hamilton and WestPac Trust Stadium, Wellington (on top of Basin Reserve, Wellington). Even if it has changed now (wouldn't rule it out - I'm sure some of our resident Kiwis could provide an update).
Now we've got Telstra Olympic Stadium, Sydney and The Telstra Dome, formerly Collonial Stadium, Melbourne.
What even is Telstra? Sounds like some plastic-manufacture company or something.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Telstra is our largest telecommuncations company. I'll be shattered if they take cricket away from the SCG, I love that place. I train there every week! My suspicion is, though, that the cricket will stay put and it is a bit of a stunt to get some more money out of it all. That said, I can handle ODI's being played at Homebush....Just not Tests. I've been to every SCG Test since 1997, including all 5 days of the India one last year and 3 of the English one in 2003!

As for the Pura Cup, don't get me started...I still call it sheild.