• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The end of the SCG?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeh i agree with everything andre said, except i havent been to the test matches!
and i dont train there lol, But it really has to say at the SCG, one dayers maybe on the odd ocassion can move out to homebush, but thats it...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
As for the Pura Cup, don't get me started...I still call it sheild.
So, by the sounds of things, do most of you Aussies...
As Matthew Engel put it "the very phrases that have been part of Australian society for generations are effectively banned: Shield Cricket, Shield Stadium, Shield Player..."

anzac

International Debutant
I don't mind the idea of SOME Test matches & ODIs moving to the Olympic Stadium at Homebush - takes some of the stranglehold away from the gate dominance held by the MCG which IMO can not be a bad thing..............generates some potential competition between the 2 venues....

but I'll be absolutely spewing if they have intentions on replacing the SCG all together..............

and I'm not an Aussie and I've not even been to any 'live' int matches at any grounds anywhere apart from a couple of ODIs at Eden Park!!!!!!!!!

anzac

International Debutant
in reality I think it is an indication of the financial pressure to recoup your overheads etc on large venues such as the Olympic Stadium, and also the advantage a multi-faceted venue has over a sports specific venue to diversify their income sources and then apply some market pressure by potentially keeping their ticketing prices more competitive than their sport specific counterparts.............

I hope that makes sence!!!!!!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I couldn't bare cricket to be taken away from the SCG, what a ground it is:) But I think Andre is right, they won't take cricket away from there, they would know the results.

Also, I find that the MCG is a better ground to be at then SCG. I would call the MCG the 2nd greatest in the world.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
If they take Test-cricket away from the second-longest-serving ground in history it will be a tragedy of epic proportions.
Possibly the greatest tragedy in cricket - yes, worse still than the vandalism of the Sheffield Shield, where the trophy and both parts of the name were retired after 107-and-a-quarter years (or something like that).
Why on Earth couldn't it have been The Pura (Milk) Sheffield Shield?
And why can't we leave Tests and one ODI there and play the rest at Telstra Olympic Stadium? Or, indeed, why couldn't the Zimbabwe Test have been played at Telstra? Given that Sydney two now seems to be preferred to Bellerive.
What is it about Telstra and Australian stadiums anyway? It's as bad as Kiwis and WestPac Trust!
WestPac Trust Park, Hamilton and WestPac Trust Stadium, Wellington (on top of Basin Reserve, Wellington). Even if it has changed now (wouldn't rule it out - I'm sure some of our resident Kiwis could provide an update).
Now we've got Telstra Olympic Stadium, Sydney and The Telstra Dome, formerly Collonial Stadium, Melbourne.
What even is Telstra? Sounds like some plastic-manufacture company or something.
WestPac Trust is the name of one New Zealand's main banks, so it is all down to sponsorship and they include naming rights, like what is happening at The Oval (It is called the Brit Oval right)?

As for Colonial Stadium or Telstra Dome as it is now, was it used to be sponsored by Colonial Bank?

But it is mainly an AFL ground, with some rugby Tests thrown in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
WestPac Trust is the name of one New Zealand's main banks, so it is all down to sponsorship and they include naming rights, like what is happening at The Oval (It is called the Brit Oval right)?
The Brit Oval ATM, it was The AMP Oval for the last 4 seasons, then it was The Fosters Oval before that (bloody Australians even sponsor English grounds... yes, I know it's brewed in England).
Most of New Zealand grounds seem to do that - Jade Stadium changed it's name once or twice recently? It can get quite confusing to work-out where matches took place if you look at all these name changes.