• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New ODI Championship table

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
3 things....
a) hoggard is not good enough for ODIs, he bowls it too full, and on a flat wicket any half decent batsman will smash him all over the park.
b) vaughan has had enough chances IMO, hes been carried on long enough. give tresco or flintoff the captaincy.
c) chris read for geraint jones......
a) Agreed.

b) I don't think we can have seperate captains for the different formats - and I think Vaughan is just about to come good in ODI's too - just a matter of time.

c) I think being an international 'keeper nowadays puts more and more stress upon the batting - especially in ODI's - and Jones is undoubtedly the better batsman.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
b) I don't think we can have seperate captains for the different formats - and I think Vaughan is just about to come good in ODI's too - just a matter of time.
well he has the ability to do well in ODIs, but really im getting tired of waiting.

Tom Halsey said:
c) I think being an international 'keeper nowadays puts more and more stress upon the batting - especially in ODI's - and Jones is undoubtedly the better batsman.
its no use having jones in the side and batting him at 6 or 7.....im sure read can do a much better job batting in that position because he is a much better slogger and is more capable of stop start innings. add to that the superior keeping ability and the fact that he has already been involved in 2 match winning innings i dont see why he should be out of the side at all.

tooextracool

International Coach
Timewell said:
How can Hoggard be good enough for tests and not ODIs? It's the same game...there is no, despite popular belief, sweeping change in the One Day and Test match game. You need to bowl a decent line and length, and bat intelligently. Hoggard needs to be given more of a chance - unlike Gough who needs removing.
no hoggard bowls it too full, its fine in tests when you allow the ball to move in the air but in ODIs on flat decks bowling at that length he will be hammered just like he has already in his ODI career.

Timewell said:
Vaughan is the captain, you cannot have two different captains for different forms of cricket, especially when the players are nearly the same. It just causes friction and we wouldn't want that.
australia had 2 different captains in waugh and ponting for a while and that didnt work out too badly. whatever team it is you cant have a captain in the side if he doesnt perform with the bat!

tooextracool

International Coach
he was until they pushed him down.....and with tresco,strauss,vaughan,pieterson(when available),flintoff all filling the top 5 positions, he wont be batting anywhere ahead of 6.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't see why.

His batting that low down isn't so big a benefit (if any at all seeing Read's recent efforts), and his keeping is nowhere near Read's.

How many byes did he let through at Edgbaston?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
It's usual if someone doesn't post a quote that they are replying to the post directly above.

I would've thought from my post content and the post above it that my comment made complete sense.
Well you did use my name, so I naturally assumed it was directed at me. Unless you were meant somebody else and by accident you typed mine. In which case you should have said so in your reply.