• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Congratulations* Brian Lara 10,000 Test Runs!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Revelation said:
look, i never got personal with it. All i'm saying is that for umpires of International standing they were two very blatant wrong decisions. Taufel is a good umpire as is Hair but the thing is that they are not above criticism.
At the end of the day I'd say Taufel will get over 90% of his decisions right so I think he's entitled to the odd mistake.

As a member of the ICC (can't recall who) said, "Without technology about 92% of decisions are made correctly. Why are we going to spend a lot of money to get that up to 94%". He's right. Umpires are the best we have right now and umpires are human. Hence, human error.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Revelation said:
look, i never got personal with it. All i'm saying is that for umpires of International standing they were two very blatant wrong decisions.

Except there was only one wrong decision - the out at Lords.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
why's the title of this thread titled 'congraulations Brian Lara 10,000 test runs' when he hasn't reached 10,000 test runs yet and it is possible (though extremely unlikely) that he may never reach it. Talk about jumping the gun...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
steds said:
why's the title of this thread titled 'congraulations Brian Lara 10,000 test runs' when he hasn't reached 10,000 test runs yet and it is possible (though extremely unlikely) that he may never reach it. Talk about jumping the gun...
Read the first few posts and you will understand.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
marc, look whatever floats your boat, but there have certainly been more than that one wrong decision. Lara was NOT OUT at Edgbaston as well. Gayle was NOT OUT at Lords. Chanderpaul was halfway down the pitch at Edgbaston. Perhaps giing the batsman the benefit of the doubt only applies to the English in your book.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
i took a shot at predicting the future.. :P

Craig

World Traveller
Look give it up Revelation.

Have you even umpired a cricket match before? I have, granted it was indoor cricket, but it is not as easy as you may think and you are on heaps of pressure to get everything perfect.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Revelation said:
marc, look whatever floats your boat, but there have certainly been more than that one wrong decision. Lara was NOT OUT at Edgbaston as well.

No he was - as Liam said, SLS is a sorry thing to see.

Swervy

International Captain
Revelation said:
marc, look whatever floats your boat, but there have certainly been more than that one wrong decision. Lara was NOT OUT at Edgbaston as well. Gayle was NOT OUT at Lords. Chanderpaul was halfway down the pitch at Edgbaston. Perhaps giing the batsman the benefit of the doubt only applies to the English in your book.

have a look at the score card...you will see Lara was OUT at Lords and Gayle was OUT.

Its a part of cricket,get over it

Linda

International Vice-Captain
If Taufel was the ump, well we know he was right, hes an Aussie. :cool:
*ahem*

But anyway, :clapping:s all round for Mr Lara in advance.

Deja moo

International Captain
What if he doesnt ? Thread carries on till next series ? :lol:

What if he retires( God forbid) at the end of this series without reaching the milestone ?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Snicko says otherwise.
The bit I watched, and I was in and out at the time (as the actress said to the bishop), showed a short, fat pattern on the snickometer, which the commentators at the time agreed suggested no nick.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
have a look at the score card...you will see Lara was OUT at Lords and Gayle was OUT.

Its a part of cricket,get over it
A part of cricket that always stimulates debate - no harm in that.

I imagine Revelation feels so strongly about it because the Windies need all the help they can get at the moment and they've had a couple of real shockers, at key moments, in this series as well as the rough end of a few important 50-50s.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Very much think thats an over reaction.. Maybe the top five current batsmen yes.. Not all time..
Maybe the top 5 current batsmen is a huge understatement. Wash your mouth out.

Langeveldt

Soutie
garage flower said:
Maybe the top 5 current batsmen is a huge understatement. Wash your mouth out.
??

Hayden
Ponting
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kallis

It's not like he doesn't have much competition for top five at the moment! let alone all time...

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
??

Hayden
Ponting
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kallis

It's not like he doesn't have much competition for top five at the moment! let alone all time...
They're all extremely good, but Lara is a little better and would I think figure in many people's all-time top 5 considerations.