• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Tendulkar bat at 4 in ODI's?

Should Tendulkar bat at 4

• Yes

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

V Reddy

International Debutant
I personally think so. I know Sachin's average drops by 10 when he bats at 4 but the main thing is the team won two events with him batting there . Though Ganguly has a good avg at 3 or 4 but it's easily visible that he is not the same destructive player he was when he opened. He was a match-winner then but he isn't now . He scores most of his runs in boundaries which he can easily do in the first 15 overs but when batting at 4 it's very difficult to do which is visible from his batting strikerate at 4 which i think is probably in the 60's if you don't count the matches against the minnows. Someone mentioned that Tendulkar doesn't like to bat at 4 but does Ganguly like to bat in the middle order or does Dravid like to open or does Kaif like to bat at 7. Aren't all the other players adjusting and Tendulkar being the best should set an example in these things instead of complaining. I think Sehwag and Sourav should open with Lax at 3 and Sachin at 4. Even Achrekar says the same thing ;)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I think 3.. but i dont see anything wrong with him opening.. Ganguly is a very sketchy opener.. i mean you cant rely on him to keep away the new ball, and he is very poor against the moving ball or extra pace and bounce ive noticed that.. rather stick lax at 3 and ganguly at 4

Waughney

International Debutant
Keep Tendulkar where he is. The Sehwag-Tendulkar opening partnership is not where the problem lies for India. I especially wouldn't move him down the order if Ganguly was his replacement....

V Reddy

International Debutant
lord_of_darkness said:
I think 3.. but i dont see anything wrong with him opening.. Ganguly is a very sketchy opener.. i mean you cant rely on him to keep away the new ball, and he is very poor against the moving ball or extra pace and bounce ive noticed that.. rather stick lax at 3 and ganguly at 4
The same problems were there when he opened the batting but never a series used to pass without him scoring hundreds . I mean against top teams like SAF, AUS and Pak.

Sudeep

International Captain
Waughney said:
Keep Tendulkar where he is. The Sehwag-Tendulkar opening partnership is not where the problem lies for India. I especially wouldn't move him down the order if Ganguly was his replacement....

Agreed.

I don't think Tendulkar has done anything wrong in the last twelve months to call for a change in position. And Ganguly done anything special to demand the opening slot...

alexkumar

Banned
Tendulkar is nothing but a selfish choker who does n't wants to sacrifice for his TEAM.

If he scores when India needed him most , EVEN this converstation will never exist.

We are talking about it because he consistantly fails in his opening slot in FINALS.

later.

Sudeep

International Captain
alexkumar said:
Tendulkar is nothing but a selfish choker who does n't wants to sacrifice for his TEAM.

If he scores when India needed him most , EVEN this converstation will never exist.

We are talking about it because he consistantly fails in his opening slot in FINALS.

later.
You fail to understand that Tendulkar opening is not only his decision, but that of the management, which means he's not being selfish, but loyal...

V Reddy

International Debutant
alexkumar said:

later.

Is there any message of yours without the word "Choker" included in it? 8-)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
V Reddy said:
Is there any message of yours without the word "Choker" included in it? 8-)
yes, except they are the ones where he uses stronger language...

tooextracool

International Coach
interesting that 8 people think he should be opening the batting and only 3 think he should be batting at 4.....but of course we and all the selectors are wrong about this

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator

later.
choker should be deemed a swear word..:P

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Tendulkar should continue to open because he plays better when the situation is still neutral, i.e., he has as much of a chance to get on top of the bowling attack as they have to get on top of him. Ganguly, I find, can adjust better to a variety of situation so he's better off at #4.

Another advantage that used to exist with Tendulkar opening was his uninhibited strokeplay would give India the psychological advantage. He has greatly toned down his play, looks a lot more tentative these days, so that advantage has disappeared.

But he's still a better opener than a #4.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I know Tendulkar is a very good opener and has scored so many hundreds while opening. But the truth is he has mellowed down a lot. To take advantage of the left-right combination, I'd have Ganguly-Sehwag and Tendulkar coming in at #3.

V Reddy

International Debutant
TendulkarFan said:
But he's still a better opener than a #4.
He is but i am talking from the team point of view. For me Tendulkar is more capable at 4 than Ganguly is at 4. While Opening, there isn't much diff between him and Ganguly and stats prove that too

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I know Tendulkar is a very good opener and has scored so many hundreds while opening. But the truth is he has mellowed down a lot. To take advantage of the left-right combination, I'd have Ganguly-Sehwag and Tendulkar coming in at #3.
I dont know why many people still persist on insisting ganguly opening.. he is very sketchy opening against the new ball and ive always seen him find it really hard to play shots when the balls moving or there is extra pace and bounce..
And he is sure to get our early which will only add pressure onto the Indian team.. thats why i think if he came in at 4-5 is a better choice as i have seen him play the spinners and he does that very well.. Yet i dunno why he chooses to bat so high up..

V Reddy

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
interesting that 8 people think he should be opening the batting and only 3 think he should be batting at 4.....but of course we and all the selectors are wrong about this
It's difference of opinion. Then if we go by that way , Ganguly and Wright are wrong too to make Sachin bat at 4

V Reddy

International Debutant
lord_of_darkness said:
I dont know why many people still persist on insisting ganguly opening.. he is very sketchy opening against the new ball and ive always seen him find it really hard to play shots when the balls moving or there is extra pace and bounce..
And he is sure to get our early which will only add pressure onto the Indian team.. thats why i think if he came in at 4-5 is a better choice as i have seen him play the spinners and he does that very well.. Yet i dunno why he chooses to bat so high up..
Reuben, his record is superb in Australia and South Africa against teams like Australia , Saf and Pakistan. He was always suspect against a short ball and many of those innings were played when the bouncer rule was made. Even when there was no bouncer allowed, bowlers still used to bowl at his ribcage but still he was successful.He always had this problem and it was no secret with bowlers.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Reuben, his record is superb in Australia and South Africa against teams like Australia , Saf and Pakistan. He was always suspect against a short ball and many of those innings were played when the bouncer rule was made. Even when there was no bouncer allowed, bowlers still used to bowl at his ribcage but still he was successful.He always had this problem and it was no secret with bowlers.
Vish i dont think he was batting at 3 in the Australian test series in Australia was he though? im pretty sure it was A Chopra and Sehwag opening Tendulkar 3 Ganguly 4.. or Dravid 4 not sure..
But still look the greatest example would be his failure in the Tests and ODI series in our homesoil.. okay agreed that the pitches werent the fairest.. yet i saw that he made the same mistake over and over again.. and basically he didnt seem to change a thing about it.. and coming in early seem to just add more pressure on the rest of the team. and also i think he tried batting high up the order in the World Cup , again wasnt really sucessfull..
I think if you count him being Successful against Pakistan in pakistan , the pitches there dont have that great a deal of movement.. And i know his greater strength is against Spin.. so why not us the strength to advantage which in return helps the whole team ..