• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has a better test bowling attack ?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
True Pakistan has more variety, but they don't tend to use it very well and are not at all consistant. Pollock, Ntini etc. are an awesome force and are above Akhtar, Sami and co.

The only area Pakistan are better then South Africa in is the spin department, with Kaneria serving them well...

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr. P said:
True Pakistan has more variety, but they don't tend to use it very well and are not at all consistant. Pollock, Ntini etc. are an awesome force and are above Akhtar, Sami and co.

The only area Pakistan are better then South Africa in is the spin department, with Kaneria serving them well...

South Africa's pace attack is overrated IMO.
Ntini I feel isn't anywhere near as good as he's made out to be by some people on this forum.
He's clearly more effective on the high veldt than he is elsewhere. I don't think much of Nel -- he's more bluster than real substance.
I think his bowling average will rise in the coming months.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
EnglishRose said:
South Africa's pace attack is overrated IMO.
Ntini I feel isn't anywhere near as good as he's made out to be by some people on this forum.
He's clearly more effective on the high veldt than he is elsewhere. I don't think much of Nel -- he's more bluster than real substance.
I think his bowling average will rise in the coming months.
I disagree. I rate Ntini very highly.

Eh. Everyone is entitled to their own view. (As long as it's sensible :cool: )

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
The Pakistan attack can be awesome, but they can be terrible also. South Africa's attack is at least more consistent.

Waughney

International Debutant
By consistency SA are home easily. Pakistan has so much talent and potential but only manage to be (To quote Ian Chappell) "A talented rabble"

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan are so inconsistent with their bowling, just look at Sami, I think he took something ridiculous like 5 wickets for 1 run in one of the ODIs when NZ toured there last year, but he also had that over with all the wides and no balls against Bangladesh a couple of days ago.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The key is that South Africa's attack bowl as a unit. Pakistan will always be inconsistent unless Woolmer manages to pull all of that occassional brilliance together.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
South Africa's bowling is better IMO. I like the Pakistani bowlers a lot but they bowl all over the place in 9/10 games...

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Saf bowlers are definitely more consistent. Pollock is easily the best bowler in both teams combined... But whe both attacks are at their peak, Pak would be better.. but that isn't the case 9/10 times as pointed out by Nnanden ;)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
delkap said:
Saf bowlers are definitely more consistent. Pollock is easily the best bowler in both teams combined... But whe both attacks are at their peak, Pak would be better.. but that isn't the case 9/10 times as pointed out by Nnanden ;)
yea actually if i was smart enough to think before i post, i would have said something like that.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Both teams have potent bowling attacks when all bowlers fire. South Africa lack a top quality spinner and Pakistan lack consistency. Ahktar & Pollock pretty much canel each other out (Pollock slightly better) Nitini is far better than Sami. The other just make up the numbers, however Nel can be good with Hayward returning he will add some spark. It's a hard one, S.A. for mine.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shoaib - better than anyone on either side at his best, but still not consistent.
Pollock - deadly on a seaming wicket almost without fail; won't often give much away on any pitch.
Ntini - somewhat overrated in the Test game. Capable of bowling very tightly but very inconsistent with his accuracy. One innings can be right on the button, next can be all over the place.
Sami - terrible Test bowler.
Shabbir Ahmed - excellent bowler for the most part of his career, except in his most recent series. And you're no better than your last series, so he needs to come back before we can talk about his ability in such high terms again. He's not been brilliant this county season, either - and still bowls far too many no-balls for a bowler of his accuracy.
Nel - still not consistent with his accuracy, either, but very very potent when he is.
Kaneria - much as he always seems to promise, but for that series against the opposition his only good Test performances would be against Bangladesh.
Saqlain - very dangerous on a turner, totally innocuous on a non-turner.
Boje - not quite as dangerous as Saqlain on a turner, but equally innocuous on a non-turner.
Hayward - never been convinced of his ability, never been quite accurate enough for mine. If he were he could be quite some bowler, but sadly he's been playing for a long while now and he's never looked like becoming much more accurate.
Kallis - good on a seamer or when it's swinging, not as good on non-seamers and when it's not swinging. Nowhere near as accurate recently as he had been in the past, either.
Klusener - read Kallis.
Of course there are others on both sides - South Africa have a veritable mine of seamers with Terbrugge, Ngam, Willoughby, Langeveldt, Zondeki and some others all promising but still yet to either deliver, stay fit or hold down favour with the selectors. Pakistan always have someone or other who's supposed to be the next great thing (Mohammad Irshad was the latest I heard), and most fizzle-out but the odd one makes it. Certainly their attack is nowhere near as good as it was 4 years ago when Wasim and Waqar were still playing and performing.
I'd much prefer have South Africa's on a green seamer if I had to make a straight choice, but if I could be guranteed Pakistan's would bowl as they can I'd have them on any pitch, green seamer or dustbowl.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Shoaib - better than anyone on either side at his best, but still not consistent..
dont think so, shoaib is only effective when he is in rhythm, and that only seems to happen once every series and against NZ. but yes when he is in rhythm he is lethal

Richard said:
Ntini - somewhat overrated in the Test game. Capable of bowling very tightly but very inconsistent with his accuracy. One innings can be right on the button, next can be all over the place...
agreed

Richard said:
Sami - terrible Test bowler...
perhaps but he can still get better if he improves his accuracy.....

Richard said:
Nel - still not consistent with his accuracy, either, but very very potent when he is.
if nel can bowl the way he did to the WI, he would be the best amongst the SA bowlers.....

Richard said:
Saqlain - very dangerous on a turner, totally innocuous on a non-turner..
as shown by his 5fer in brisbane....

Richard said:
Boje - not quite as dangerous as Saqlain on a turner, but equally innocuous on a non-turner...
as shown by his average of 16 against SL in SA, but yes largely innocuous on non turners.

Richard said:
Klusener - read Kallis....
klusener isnt effective in any conditions in tests anymore, and that has largely to do with the injury that he suffered several years ago. hes still a very good ODI bowler and IMO he is pretty accurate at test match level too.

Richard said:
Pakistan always have someone or other who's supposed to be the next great thing (Mohammad Irshad was the latest I heard), and most fizzle-out but the odd one makes it. Certainly their attack is nowhere near as good as it was 4 years ago when Wasim and Waqar were still playing and performing.
personally i thought fazl-e-akbar bowled well in that third test against india and while his figures dont represent that he was still the pick of the bowlers...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
as shown by his 5fer in brisbane....

as shown by his average of 16 against SL in SA, but yes largely innocuous on non turners.
Guess what these were, then? Yes, that's right - anomalies!
Most fingerspinners don't achieve this success on pitches that don't turn, and it would probably in Saqlain's case and certainly in Boje's given that I watched that 2000\01 series, have been down to poor batting.
klusener isnt effective in any conditions in tests anymore, and that has largely to do with the injury that he suffered several years ago. hes still a very good ODI bowler and IMO he is pretty accurate at test match level too.
And we can tell that by the fact that he's been bowling in Test-cricket for all of the last 3 years...