• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why were the best coaches in the world Weren’t the best players in the world ???

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Name who you think is the best coach and why they were not the best players during their time.

Do u need to be a good cricketer to be a coach...???

Waughney

International Debutant
You need to have a good cricketing brain to be a coach and maybe a bit of first class experience. The best players are very rarely the best coaches. A prime example of this is John Buchanan, he only played 7 first class matches, taking no wickets with a batting average of 12.30. He is now one of the most succesful coaches in history.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
You DO NOT need to have played first class cricket and/or above.

Anyone who thinks that is so needs to get some sort of reality check.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Waughney said:
A prime example of this is John Buchanan, he only played 7 first class matches, taking no wickets with a batting average of 12.30. He is now one of the most succesful coaches in history.
To quote Bishen Singh Bedi " Does he make this Team great or does the Team make him great ?"

Mr. P

JASON said:
To quote Bishen Singh Bedi " Does he make this Team great or does the Team make him great ?"
So you're saying anybody could coach Australia? 8-) :dry:

This is the same sort of thing as the mind dead idiots who think anybody can captain Australia.

Waughney

International Debutant
JASON said:
Of course the strength of this Australian side has had a lot to do with Buchanan's sucess. But to gauge his ability as a coach all you have to do is look at his style. He is dedicated, openminded, meticulous and often very one on one in his approach, all attributes of a great coach. Also the opinions of players suggest that a lot of their sucess is due to his coaching, support and guidance.

Waughney

International Debutant
Mr. P said:
You DO NOT need to have played first class cricket and/or above.

Anyone who thinks that is so needs to get some sort of reality check.
I do beleive an international coach needs to have some sort of first class experience as they need to have some sort of idea of what a player goes through and feels during a match/series. Also he needs to have some first hand experience of what goes on on the feild and the pressures experienced in certain situations.
If you can name a succesful international coach with no first class experience I will stand correted.

Mr. P

Doesn't mean they need to have done it first class. Club cricket gives you the same feel.

Aside of that, IMO you don't need any experience at all, so my above post is just an additional point...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
trust me, i kno many people who arent that good playing, but have a great cricketing brain. the captain isnt neccessarily the best player either, yea?

Waughney

International Debutant
Mr. P said:
Doesn't mean they need to have done it first class. Club cricket gives you the same feel.

Aside of that, IMO you don't need any experience at all, so my above post is just an additional point...
First class is very different to club as it moves up to a proffesional level.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. P said:
So you're saying anybody could coach Australia? 8-) :dry:
You are making a nonsensical assumption out of what I quoted . My point was a reply to Waughney implying that John B. was a successful coach.

Do you remember the coach of the Great West Indian Teams of 70's and 80's. I rest my case!!

Waughney

International Debutant
Nnanden said:
trust me, i know many people who arent that good at playing, but have a great cricketing brain. the captain isnt neccessarily the best player either, yea?
I didn't say they need to be a great player (eg. what I said about Buchanan) But just to have some sort of first class experience.

Mr. P

Waughney said:
First class is very different to club as it moves up to a proffesional level.
Still has the same problems and pressures attatched to it. Think it through.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
the problem i cant figure out is why cant the best players be good coaches too ??? they have the experience, obviously the knowledge about the game and all the tactics and statergies. why does the crap players become the best coaches. i dont get it...

Waughney

International Debutant
Mr. P said:
Still has the same problems and pressures attatched to it. Think it through.
In first class cricket you are a proffesional and you have a lot of pressure to perform.
You travel away from your family/home.
You are playing in a fiercely competitive environment where the result matters.
If you don't perform you lose your job.

Compare that to club where you play competitively but at nowhere near the same level with less pressure/expectation.

Mr. P

JASON said:
You are making a nonsensical assumption out of what I quoted . My point was a reply to Waughney implying that John B. was a successful coach.

Do you remember the coach of the Great West Indian Teams of 70's and 80's. I rest my case!!
Not really. I was just disagreeing FOR waughney. I was just saying that 'the team does not make him great', it is he that does that. I took your post to mean that the team made him great, because who couldn't coach the Aussies? And I think if you look at it, it is easy to see how I saw that.

Your second point is hardly relevant. :huh:

Waughney

International Debutant
nookie_lk said:
the problem i cant figure out is why cant the best players be good coaches too ??? they have the experience, obviously the knowledge about the game and all the tactics and statergies. why does the crap players become the best coaches. i dont get it...
Good players can become good coaches too eg. Geoff Marsh. I guess good players also pursue alternative careers eg. commentator.

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:
because there is a lot more to coaching than you obviously think there is...man management skills,feedback giving etc are as important in successful coaching as knowing the technical side of things.

Very good players will almost instinctively do the right things without always knowing what they are doing,almost as if the game is TOO easy for them.The average player knows what it takes to battle through technical problems and can probably understand the problems most players encounter.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. P said:
Your second point is hardly relevant. :huh:
It will be relevant, for IMO in 20 years time most of the world wouldn't remember who the coach of this current team was, but they would still remember the names of players and their achievements. :dry:

Mr. P

Yes true Jason but that doesn't mean he's not a champion coach and one of the best of all time. No coach has been fully remembered however some have still been brilliant.