• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA 5 Greatest ever..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well the West Indies decisions got me thinking about South Africa.. Here are my choices

1. RG Pollock
2. JH Kallis
3. H Tayfield
4. SM Pollock
5. AA Donald

A pick of five is extremely hard, so there are no spaces for the likes of Barrie Richards, Mike Procter, Kepler Wessels, Hansie Cronje, Darryl Cullinan, Gary Kirsten, Dudley Nourse, Jonty Rhodes etc. etc.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Well the West Indies decisions got me thinking about South Africa.. Here are my choices

1. RG Pollock
2. JH Kallis
3. HJ Tayfield
4. SM Pollock
5. AA Donald

A pick of five is extremely hard, so there are no spaces for the likes of Barrie Richards, Mike Procter, Kepler Wessels, Hansie Cronje, Darryl Cullinan, Gary Kirsten etc. etc.
erm....i would have thought Proctor, Richards, maybe even Barlow would have come above Kallis

Langeveldt

Soutie
Swervy said:
erm....i would have thought Proctor, Richards, maybe even Barlow would have come above Kallis
I was hesitant to put people in who didnt have full chance to flourish due to isolation.. the Pollock's picked themselves though...

After all, if England were isolated during the 1990's you could have said Graeme Hick was one of the worlds greatest...

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
I was hesitant to put people in who didnt have full chance to flourish due to isolation.. the Pollock's picked themselves though...

After all, if England were isolated during the 1990's you could have said Graeme Hick was one of the worlds greatest...

but ricahrds ,Proctor and Barlow did flourish internationally (see the rest of the world tests in the early 70's, or WSC,or county cricket, or even state cricket in Australia)..they all made a mark on international cricket

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
I would probably have Kirsten in ahead of Kallis, as he was the foundation for much of their batting in recent history. And I think Kallis has always been extremely over-rated as a bowler.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
IMO Kallis was and still is a class above Donald & S Pollock. Therefore my top 5 in no particular order...

1/ B Richards
2/ G Pollock
3/ J Kallis
4/ M Proctor
5/ S Pollock

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Will Scarlet said:
I would probably have Kirsten in ahead of Kallis, as he was the foundation for much of their batting in recent history. And I think Kallis has always been extremely over-rated as a bowler.
Aaah!! I could argue this over forever. If anything Kallis is underrated as a bowler because he cops WAY too much flak over his bowling ability. He is certainly a good bowler and he would be a very good one if not for his batting.

ALSO. Kallis is a far superior batsman to Kirsten. Kallis ranks among the top 5 players in the world today IMO.

Langeveldt

Soutie
IMO Kallis is an over rated bowler, and an under rated batsman.. Id only have Hayden, Dravid, Tendulkar and Ponting ahead of him...

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
IMO Kallis is the most underrated cricketer in the modern era. His Test record is similar to Sobers.
I remember once daring to "compare" him to Sobers... I got shot down completely before I could even finish..

Okay, Sobers was better, but there isn't that much in it.

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
I remember once daring to "compare" him to Sobers... I got shot down completely before I could even finish..

Okay, Sobers was better, but there isn't that much in it.
i think you'll find there probably is quite a lot in it

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
G Pollock
Donald
Kallis
Proctor
S Pollock

Kallis isnt underrated as a batsman, he's overlooked. There's a difference.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just shows, doesn't it, that picking five of all-time is a rather difficult task and almost impossible to do fairly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
but ricahrds ,Proctor and Barlow did flourish internationally (see the rest of the world tests in the early 70's, or WSC,or county cricket, or even state cricket in Australia)..they all made a mark on international cricket
WSC and ROW "Tests" in 1970 weren't official games and hence they can't be considered as proving any more than any other unofficial game, however high the standard may seem.