• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian team - A disgrace to the game

Deja moo

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
I somehow doubt you should believe everything you read mate...

The TOI report can be discredited , but not the TV interview Lang . I saw that interview , and Lee did mention that he had a few abuses in Hindi memorised :)

Craig

World Traveller
Swervy said:
there was that story of the Sri Lankan player who called Craig White , a 'white b*stard'...but that was explained away as a failing of that players England,and just confusion about Whites name!!!!!!!!!! :huh:
Probably close to you can get in not making a racist sledge because of his surname.

Deja moo

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Its one thing having an experienced test star having a sledge at someone..
Its a totally different thing when some ****y newby like Best or Pathan thinks they can have a go like they are more important than the game...

Hopefully someone with a bit more sense will put them seriously in their place in the near future, whether it be with bat, ball or mouth...
Yeah , Pathan clapping in Martyns face was pretty bad. But he seems to have mellowed down now , and doesnt fly into the face of the batsman anymore.

More than his behaviour when he gets a wicket , I hate tino Bests attitude when he doesnt get a wicket . The " wronged victim of circumstances " look he gives everyone when his appeals are turned down , really pises me off.

Waughney

International Debutant
Deja moo said:
Yeah , Pathan clapping in Martyns face was pretty bad. But he seems to have mellowed down now , and doesnt fly into the face of the batsman anymore.
Unlike most people, I didn't mind Pathan and his antics, it added that extra bit of drama and heat to the game. BTW Martyn had said his fair share to Pathan.

Waughney

International Debutant
nookie_lk said:
The aussies are so used to winning they dont know how to cope defeat. On many occations Australia try to demoralise the opposing team by sledging, passing racist comments and even physical abuse. Is this the way the gentlemens game should be played ???
I don't know what this "not being able to cope with defeat" thing is coming from. The sledging is during the game, not after. It has always been part of the game and always will be, teams/individuals who can't cope with that don't belong in the test arena.
The unfortunate incident involving Lehman was a one off. He has served his sentence and copped a lot from the media. He was sincerely sorry and even went to the Sri Lankan dressing room and apologised one on one with every player. Racial abuse is certainly not an Australian tactic and isn't a part of the Australian team.

Deja moo

International Captain
Waughney said:
Unlike most people, I didn't mind Pathan and his antics, it added that extra bit of drama and heat to the game. BTW Martyn had said his fair share to Pathan.

You mean ,"black piece of ****e" ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Probably close to you can get in not making a racist sledge because of his surname.
His surname is just a smokescreen in that instance.

It's clear what the true meaning of what was said was (if it was said)

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
It's interesting to note how some people here seem to think that racism is the exclusive domain of those with white skin. Guess what? It isn't.

Craig

World Traveller
Hard Harry said:
It's interesting to note how some people here seem to think that racism is the exclusive domain of those with white skin. Guess what? It isn't.
IMO if a non white cricketer calls a white cricket a 'white...' (should it be offensive) to me that is no more racist then a white cricketer calling a black cricketer a 'black...'.

Anf if it happened to me I would consider very strongly making a complaint, because if it was the other way around, they would be making a complaint quicker then Pauleta would miss a shot on goal.

Mr. P

Mister Wright said:
Look...I know he's your favourite player. But cricket is supposed to be the gentlemen's game. Now, I'm not gullable enough to believe that the game these days is going to be played in true gentlemenly spirit, but there should be some kind of pride in your actions - and being a hypocrite is not something to be proud of IMO.
:D Most of my comment was bias, however I believe I am right in one way. Most cricketers are hypocrites. Is there anything really that wrong with it?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
biased indian said:
Austalian players are always treated in a different way by every one including
ICC.in the current ASIA cup ICC made fuss about Azhar doing media job.ok some one banned by icc should not be allowed to do so.But y didn't ICC say anything when shane warne was doing media work during his one year ban for taking DURGS.so what ever they do is treated as in the spirit of the game when it shouldn't be :-O
Warne's ban was temporary but Azhar's is permanent. Both committed crimes against the game, but Azhar's was a far higher level conviction.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
IMO if a non white cricketer calls a white cricket a 'white...' (should it be offensive) to me that is no more racist then a white cricketer calling a black cricketer a 'black...'.

Anf if it happened to me I would consider very strongly making a complaint, because if it was the other way around, they would be making a complaint quicker then Pauleta would miss a shot on goal.
No 'white' person would call another person of same skin colour 'white' in an offensive manner. Why? That's just stupid. Instead of making a complaint about it, you should be laughing at the "offender".

Mr Mxyzptlk

Hard Harry said:
Top post.

Waughney

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No 'white' person would call another person of same skin colour 'white' in an offensive manner. Why? That's just stupid. Instead of making a complaint about it, you should be laughing at the "offender".
I thought the same thing until I read what he said again: "If a non-white cricketer calls a white cricketer a "white ....""
He could've worded it better....

Linda

Its such a generalisation to say that Australians and South Africans are sledgers and the rest are innocent. What is it that would cause this if it were true? There is nothing.
Doesnt anyone get tired of hearing 'its a gentlemen's game?' Sure, maybe it was a while back, but when money, pressure and fame accompany that game, things aren't always peachy keen.

Swervy

International Captain
Linda said:
Its such a generalisation to say that Australians and South Africans are sledgers and the rest are innocent. What is it that would cause this if it were true? There is nothing.
Doesnt anyone get tired of hearing 'its a gentlemen's game?' Sure, maybe it was a while back, but when money, pressure and fame accompany that game, things aren't always peachy keen.
i agree...for me its a case of 'stop moaning and get on with it'

Obviously a line must be drawn at racist comments (by any team), but its a tough sport played by tough people..if players cant stand the heat, maybe they should be re-evaluated what they want to do with their lives.

Pretty much each team is as bad as each other.

To call the Australian team 'a disgrace' is just a joke (but not very funny) and is just a way for a supporter of a not too successful team to have a bash at Australia...the thread was started for a reason,and that was to encourage discussion that could easy veer off into insults and accusations and sweeping generalizations.

I just find these types of threads boring

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Swervy said:
To call the Australian team 'a disgrace' is just a joke (but not very funny) and is just a way for a supporter of a not too successful team to have a bash at Australia...the thread was started for a reason,and that was to encourage discussion that could easy veer off into insults and accusations and sweeping generalizations.
You are absolutely right about this thread being started for a reason - with a possible sinister motive being to turn it into an exchange of insults and accusations for someone's pleasure.

But I find the same with the numerous Murali threads that are run over and over again and perpetuated endlessly and needlessly (over meaningless repetitive opinions that no one agrees with or no one changes their fixed preformed opinions on) and sometimes arisen from the Dead (by this I mean brought out from the Archive of threads)!!

Now there must be a motive or reason for those!!

Swervy

International Captain
JASON said:
But I find the same with the numerous Murali threads that are run over and over again and perpetuated endlessly and needlessly (over meaningless repetitive opinions that no one agrees with or no one changes their fixed preformed opinions on) and sometimes arisen from the Dead (by this I mean brought out from the Archive of threads)!!
again I agree