• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian team - A disgrace to the game

Square cut

Cricket Spectator
I agree that the Aussies do so over the top, especially Lehman ,McGrath,Lee Warne and Lenger.They pick the top batsman of opposite team and start taunting verbally and even on the ground.Still I feel, India is the strongest team if the game is played like Gentlemen's game.

Steev Waugh was a devine personality in Aussies so Sachin,the Cricket God

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr. P said:
So? As if you wouldn't do the same. I know I would. Cricketers are always going to be hypocrites in one way or another, plus its another way to annoy your opponent :D
Look...I know he's your favourite player. But cricket is supposed to be the gentlemen's game. Now, I'm not gullable enough to believe that the game these days is going to be played in true gentlemenly spirit, but there should be some kind of pride in your actions - and being a hypocrite is not something to be proud of IMO.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
The australians and the south africans always tend to abuse the asian cricket players. Exchanging a word or two is fine but swearing and passing racist comments is not the way. Has anyone heard one Asian cricketer bieng racist towards any white cricketer ???

that shows how Ignorant the ausie and SA players are. its dissapoiting that those two teams are leading the current cricket standings.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
nookie_lk said:
The australians and the south africans always tend to abuse the asian cricket players. Exchanging a word or two is fine but swearing and passing racist comments is not the way. Has anyone heard one Asian cricketer bieng racist towards any white cricketer ???

that shows how Ignorant the ausie and SA players are. its dissapoiting that those two teams are leading the current cricket standings.
Yes. It got pretty heated when Sri Lanka toured South Africa. I can remember Sangakkara (sp) and Jayawardne getting very verbal and crossing the line, although they were provoked (but that is no excuse).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nookie_lk said:
Don't stereotype all the players of a certain team. You can comfortably count the number of abusive players from each team on one hand.

Swervy

International Captain
nookie_lk said:

there was that story of the Sri Lankan player who called Craig White , a 'white b*stard'...but that was explained away as a failing of that players England,and just confusion about Whites name!!!!!!!!!! :huh:

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Don't stereotype all the players of a certain team. You can comfortably count the number of abusive players from each team on one hand.
i agree... not all of the players are like that...but when the seniors behave like that whatever has been told will reflect the whole team (thats what happens in team games). The senior players like macgrath, warne, lehman, should set the standards.

biased indian

International Coach
Austalian players are always treated in a different way by every one including
ICC.in the current ASIA cup ICC made fuss about Azhar doing media job.ok some one banned by icc should not be allowed to do so.But y didn't ICC say anything when shane warne was doing media work during his one year ban for taking DURGS.so what ever they do is treated as in the spirit of the game when it shouldn't be :-O

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
IMO modern era cricket is no longer 'the gentleman's game' of yester year - and by modern era I mean the post Packer Circus..........

the amount of money involved both as player contracts and endorsements, to advertising & media rights ensure that this is a sport for professionals - and the best professionals are the Aussies.........

in this sort of environment IMO almost anything goes apart from outright cheating or pseudo breaches (such as Murali's recent efforts)..........from a sledging perspective I do not agree with racial abuse or comments concerning incidents etc off the field (the Cairns story, McGrath's wife etc) - although I do not consider the comments re Lara & Sarwan in the same light as both are players & able to respond during the game........

if you really want to stamp out or curtail sledging them we should stop giving it so much 'air time' - the reality is that it IS a part of the mind games & will never be erradicated..............

in contrast we should look to not only encourage acts of fair play & sportsmanship, but to also acknowledge & reward those individuals involved (eg Gilchrist walking) - a spin off from this could also make the umpire's life easier in the long run if more such behaviour took place.....

biased indian

International Coach
anzac said:
in contrast we should look to not only encourage acts of fair play & sportsmanship, but to also acknowledge & reward those individuals involved (eg Gilchrist walking) - a spin off from this could also make the umpire's life easier in the long run if more such behaviour took place.....
agree to all u r thoughts

But what will u do about a captain who says to his team that they shoudnt walk unless given out (Pontings comment after Gilchrist walking)

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
biased indian said:
Austalian players are always treated in a different way by every one including
ICC.in the current ASIA cup ICC made fuss about Azhar doing media job.ok some one banned by icc should not be allowed to do so.But y didn't ICC say anything when shane warne was doing media work during his one year ban for taking DURGS.so what ever they do is treated as in the spirit of the game when it shouldn't be :-O
exellent post mate...thats exacly my point...why is it always the little nations get all the crap from the big dogs ?

anzac

International Debutant
biased indian said:
agree to all u r thoughts

But what will u do about a captain who says to his team that they shoudnt walk unless given out (Pontings comment after Gilchrist walking)
Ponting's comments are not wrong from a tactical point of view in context to my comments re the money involved in today's game - particularly if it comes at a crucial part of the game & can potentially affect the outcome...........

IMO the only way to counter that view is to give players & teams some sort of incentive to encourage such sportsmanship as shown by Gilchrist..........

presumably there are awards & financial recognition involved with being the top rated cricketers each year - both as individuals & as a team, so likewise there should be the same emphasis (including media coverage) for fair play........

anzac

International Debutant
nookie_lk said:
exellent post mate...thats exacly my point...why is it always the little nations get all the crap from the big dogs ?
lack of influence & power.................

the same can & has been said about IND 'blackmailing' NZL into making their tour to PAK amidst their concerns re security - both the aborted Test series & recent ODIs.............

biased indian

International Coach
anzac said:
Ponting's comments are not wrong from a tactical point of view in context to my comments re the money involved in today's game - particularly if it comes at a crucial part of the game & can potentially affect the outcome...........

IMO the only way to counter that view is to give players & teams some sort of incentive to encourage such sportsmanship as shown by Gilchrist..........

presumably there are awards & financial recognition involved with being the top rated cricketers each year - both as individuals & as a team, so likewise there should be the same emphasis (including media coverage) for fair play........
Money is not the final solution for everything instead of giving incentives for showing sportmanship if given also no problem
people who shows offence should be punished

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Nookie, is it a "have a go at Australia thread" because your "champion" little spinner didn't have the balls to go down under and let his bowling do the talking to those critics?
He couldn't do that because they never said he can't take wickets, they clutch at the straws that he chucks.
So taking wickets won't prove anything to anyone, because we all know he can take wickets.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
anzac said:
the same can & has been said about IND 'blackmailing' NZL into making their tour to PAK amidst their concerns re security - both the aborted Test series & recent ODIs.............
why would indians have anything to do with pakistanis