• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian team - A disgrace to the game

Swervy

International Captain
FRAZ said:
But who started it and who finished the job . Thats also is in history books
well thare are conflicting stories on who started it

You make it sound like some childish playground fight (which it was really)..these were two grown men who should have known better...it goes down in the history books that both men behaved like idiots, when, if Miandad had acted up the way he did, it would have looked like Lillee was the fool.....so who wins in that situation....who would have gained more respect and 'self prestige' if Miandad had have just ignore Lillee

Swervy

International Captain
Question:What if Miandad had have struck Lillee...who would have been the winner then?

Answer: Lillee, coz I doubt Miandad would have played international cricket again

FRAZ

International Captain
Swervy said:
well thare are conflicting stories on who started it

You make it sound like some childish playground fight (which it was really)..these were two grown men who should have known better...it goes down in the history books that both men behaved like idiots, when, if Miandad had acted up the way he did, it would have looked like Lillee was the fool.....so who wins in that situation....who would have gained more respect and 'self prestige' if Miandad had have just ignore Lillee
You know what I also dont like this type of discussion but I think what I said really pays off better . I know this incident was just a piece of crap but it really gave an overall idea about the mentality upon which this whole thread was started right from the first post . Week is he who really is week . And the problem is self defence which is the best technique for being safe. And the records and Books are gonna suggest that who has been bullying a lot to others and see Javed's team never passed any racist comments to others . Race comments are like a humiliating slap on the face and the hand which slaps should be dealt with as soon as possible .

FRAZ

International Captain
Swervy said:
Question:What if Miandad had have struck Lillee...who would have been the winner then?

Answer: Lillee, coz I doubt Miandad would have played international cricket again
I know that bad is bad and there is nothing like lesser bad . What Javed did was bad for sure But what Lillee did was "Worst" .....

FRAZ

International Captain
FRAZ said:
I know that bad is bad and there is nothing like lesser bad . What Javed did was bad for sure But what Lillee did was "Worst" .....
Just look at the post which was answer of my first post in this forum and look at the hidden sarcasm in it .

Swervy

International Captain
FRAZ said:
You know what I also dont like this type of discussion but I think what I said really pays off better . I know this incident was just a piece of crap but it really gave an overall idea about the mentality upon which this whole thread was started right from the first post . Week is he who really is week . And the problem is self defence which is the best technique for being safe. And the records and Books are gonna suggest that who has been bullying a lot to others and see Javed's team never passed any racist comments to others . Race comments are like a humiliating slap on the face and the hand which slaps should be dealt with as soon as possible .
First off I know for a fact that Javed could give as good as he got when it came to the verbals.

Violent retaliation may give you a short term feeling of self satisfaction, but should you not consider the long term effects of such actions

You obviously have different values than I do. When I was younger, I had the unfortunate habit of hitting people when I was drunk if they said something nasty to me or 'had a go' physically. Felt pretty good to do that right at that time...next day i was left with the regret of being no better than them (no matter who started the trouble, I was as bad as they were)

I have now grown up and I have learnt two things :
1. I personally feel better and stronger for not retaliating physically than the other person
2. Without having the attitude of 'I am gonna dish out worse than I am gonna get' (the attitude you are advocating here), I actually find that I dont get into situations where retaliation is an issue. That kind of attitude actually provokes people.

Swervy

International Captain
FRAZ said:
Just look at the post which was answer of my first post in this forum and look at the hidden sarcasm in it .
this is the problem with forums like this on the net...hidden sarcasm is exactly that...HIDDEN...and can normally be used in hindsight as a way of backing down from ones original arguement without looking silly.

To be honest the only bit of sarcasm I can see in your first post of today on this thread is where you say everyone will agree with you

FRAZ

International Captain
Swervy said:
this is the problem with forums like this on the net...hidden sarcasm is exactly that...HIDDEN...and can normally be used in hindsight as a way of backing down from ones original arguement without looking silly.

To be honest the only bit of sarcasm I can see in your first post of today on this thread is where you say everyone will agree with you
But i think I was may be right because I mentioned some one who did some thing bad and the problem is The person who did some thing bad is not being treated as a wrong human being
(apart from you )but treated based upon his race and so called superiority
(as you saw the answer of that Aussie based writer on this forum). You are also right and you said good things but once again when I say some theing good here to a russian friend of mine then she says that I live in a utopian land . And I just said every thing which fits perfectly in the current socity..

FRAZ

International Captain
Swervy said:

Yes you are right I was wrong about the agree thing .And actually I am not against any race or some thing and My first post seriously didnt have any hidden sarcsm in it but may be Its a bit pointy towards the basic root cause of this problem . Yes I hate any offence , But I ll keep on supporting self defence...

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
FRAZ said:
But i think I was may be right because I mentioned some one who did some thing bad and the problem is The person who did some thing bad is not being treated as a wrong human being
(apart from you )but treated based upon his race and so called superiority
(as you saw the answer of that Aussie based writer on this forum). You are also right and you said good things but once again when I say some theing good here to a russian friend of mine then she says that I live in a utopian land . And I just said every thing which fits perfectly in the current socity..
well i am not entirley sure what your point is to be honest...but I do doubt that the attitude of violent retaliation is the ideal which suits todays current western society (I say western as that is the society that both you and I live in).

The more tit-for-tat actions, whether it be on the cricket field, in the street, or talking on a more global scale, will just drag this planet back into the dark ages

FRAZ

International Captain
Swervy said:
well i am not entirley sure what your point is to be honest...but I do doubt that the attitude of violent retaliation is the ideal which suits todays current western society (I say western as that is the society that both you and I live in).

The more tit-for-tat actions, whether it be on the cricket field, in the street, or talking on a more global scale, will just drag this planet back into the dark ages
Yup but what can we do apart from praying....

FRAZ

International Captain
Swervy said:

I was actually pointy about Javed that he did some thing bad (Affordable bad). And Lille was worse ( unexcusably Bad). And What i was gonna say was that some of Lilly's countrymen are may be gonna support Lille for being completely innocent . And these things should'nt be there in the first place.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fraz, you dont really have any point. You just are a confused bloke who wants to blame australia or someone else for his problems. You are just an ignorant fellow who cant even spell 'Lillee' .

We all know how good Javed miandad was when it came to sledging or fighting with other players. Kiran More, Lillee, Merv Hughes, Mike Gatting, Imran, Akram and the list goes on. He not only fought with his opponents, he fought with his own teammates as well.

As for your racism related comments, IMO South Asians are biggest racists and hypocrites I know. In south Asian societies a fair-skinned person gets more attention than a dark skinned. A darky is always considered ugly. South Asians descrimnate on the basis of gender, race , color, caste, religion, state, country, village, pind, language. As if that is not enough South Asians are the most selfish and corrupt people .

I have lived in both societies and have family and friends in UK, Australia and pretty much every part of the so called white or the racist world , I myself live in USA and based on what I have experienced and what my family has I can safely say that these societies are much better than the many south asian societies I have been part of while growing up in south Asia.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
ash chaulk said:
u are very correct IMO

p.s. whos anju george?
she is our champion long jumper....she won a bronze(i think) in the world championships once and is our only realistic faint glimmer of hope for bringing home a medal...!!!
:)

Legglancer

State Regular
The miserable minority who
misinterpret the game of cricket

By Mahinda Wijesinghe

During the past few days, Australian Test captain, Steve Waugh, has been bending over
backwards in trying to justify the Australian style of playing cricket, which includes, as he
himself called, 'mental disintegration' of the opposition. That is, in plain, modern language,
sledging. Obviously these outbursts have been as a result of Sunil Gavaskar's much
publicized speech during the Sir Colin Cowdrey memorial lecture he delivered recently in
London at the M.C.C. when the Indian icon made an oblique reference to the Australians as
the chief offenders of sledging. The despicable practice of berating one's opponents on the
cricket field is soon becoming an art now fine-tuned by quite a few international sides and
condoned mainly by the Australians. Gone are the days when the fielding side a batsman on
reaching (say) his century.

Are people expected to look askance?

During the course of a speech made in Banglaore recently, Waugh, admittedly one of the
most pugnacious cricketers and, statistically, the most successful captain ever, declared:
"There is far too much talk of sledging. These days cricket is played in the right spirit, though
occasionally things do go wrong. And when they do go wrong you have 20 or 30 TV replays
and people come to talk about it." Correct me if I am wrong. When McGrath mouthed
obscenities at Ramnaresh Sarwan during the recent Australian tour of the Carribean, or in
February 2001 when Michael Slater argued with umpire Venkataraghavan and had words with
Indian batsman Rahul Dravid at the Mumbai Test - while wearing a black arm-band in memory
of Sir Donald Bradman who had died a few days earlier! - are people expected to look
askance?

Common clay and porcelain

Over half a century ago, it was Sir Donald Bradman who wrote, prophetically, now it may
seem: "I know there are many shortcomings in the way certain individuals play the game of
cricket. And because the actions of a miserable minority, some people condemn the game
itself...there must be no confusion between the game of cricket and those who wrongly
interpret it. Played in the right spirit there is no sport which is capable of developing mans'
finest qualities. Common clay must go through the heat and fire of the furnace to become
porcelain. But once through the furnace it can never be clay again. In the same way a man's
character must remain permanently enriched by his experiences at cricket" Merely wearing
black armbands and paying lip service to the memory of Sir Donald is not enough.

Killing the golden goose

It would also be relevant to remember that due to the deteriorating standards of
player-conduct, the Laws of Cricket (Code 2000) now begin with 'The Preamble - The Spirit of
Cricket' where, inter alia, it is specifically stipulated (section 5) that it is against the spirit of
the game to "dispute an umpire's decision by word, action or gesture, or to direct abusive
language towards an umpire or player......." In view of such stipulations I wonder how Steve
Waugh can maintain that cricket is played in the right spirit. Posterity, and more specifically
statisticians, will record the current Australian team as the most successful in terms of
winning matches but is cricket only about winning? Well, the Australian way seems that. Sir
Donald Bradman must be indeed turning in his grave. The modern cricketer is earning huge
sums of money because of the manner the game was played by their predecessors and now
the baton of maintaining the noble traditions of cricket have been passed on to the custody of
the modern player. It is a responsibility they have to shoulder for their own benefit and that of
future generations. If however the cancer of sledging becomes a part of cricket, sooner than
later, the game may lose its appeal to the paying public. They may as well pay to watch all-in
wrestling or **** fighting. Players who condone sledging maintain that although harsh words
are said on the field, when they come off it, all is forgiven and in the confines of the dressing
room a beer settles all. In other words, vent your spleen in public - where watching youngsters
would naturally catch on - and behave as a gentleman should in private. Wouldn't it be far
better if these roles were reversed? Conduct yourself as a cricketer should in public, and what
you do in private is your own business. Otherwise, the modern player would be killing the
golden goose.