• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Sri Lanka Thread

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
mahroof is pretty good...he was the best school cricketer in sri lanka in the year 2002 or 2003 ...with a double century and more than 100 wickets in that season.
The Lankan board deserves a lot of praise for keeping all options open and bringing him in. Had their Indian counterparts been in charge, you'd still see Charitha Buddika, Pulasthi and Ruchira and even Pramodya play for 2 more years, though everyone knows how useful (useless) they are. He has a lot of talent as a bowler and being a right-armer, he can provide a good variation in the attack. He isn't too bad a batsman either, so that offers the team an advantage. I hope he gets a very prominent role as a strike bowler and loer-order batsman.

Another player to watch out for is MTT Mirando, apparently the fastest bowler in SL. He too is a good batsman, and yet another left-arm seam bowler from SL.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
nookie_lk said:
yeah Mirando is pretty good too...
His FC bowling average is not the most impressive, but he's a much better bowler than that. Hopefully he will get more than a few matches.

What's your opinion of Kaushalya Weeratane, Suresh Perera and Hashantha?

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Arjun said:
What's your opinion of Kaushalya Weeratane, Suresh Perera and Hashantha?
Kaushalya Weeratane, Suresh Perera and Hashantha are still not that good enough to come into international level consistently..but i think suresh perara has played for sri lankas...currently Lasith malinga and mirando are the main bowlers that sri lanka is boasting about.

i guess before the above metioned bowlers get a chance.....Nissanka and Dilhara will be the first choices.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa 347/7 - Rudolph 85 n.o , Boje 31 n.o. Only 139 runs behind.

IMO Boje and Rudolph can save this Test if they play out the first session on Day 4. Rudolph despite his slow scoring has saved SA .

SA should not expect to play more than three sessions if they are to survive, while Atapattu being a defensive Captain is unlikely to settle for a target less than 350 (knowing SA's tall batting line up) and Murali going flat in terms of wickets.

Legglancer

State Regular
Excellent batting by Kallis and Rudolph .... Bit Dissapointed that Kallis didnt convert his innings to a big one though !

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Rudolph... 95*, 1 wicket remaining, might get stranded here.
If Sri Lanka finish with a lead of 100 and with 70 overs left to bat in the day, they should be able to build a lead of 300-350 by the end of the day, leaving them to bowl out South Africa on day 5.

Last edited:

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Adamc said:
Rudolph... 95*, 1 wicket remaining, might get stranded here.
If Sri Lanka finish with a lead of 100 and with 70 overs left to bat in the day, they should be able to build a lead of 300-350 by the end of the day, leaving them to bowl out South Africa on day 5.
If Rudolph gets stranded, he has himself to blame.. too slow IMO (although I am not watching the match, so hv no idea of the pitch.. but s/r looks awefully slow)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
delkap said:
If Rudolph gets stranded, he has himself to blame.. too slow IMO (although I am not watching the match, so hv no idea of the pitch.. but s/r looks awefully slow)
As South Africa never really had any chance of winning this game, he is justified in batting slowly to force a draw. 100 off 300 is far more useful to South Africa at this stage than 100 off 150.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Congratulations to Rudolph on a well deserved 100, may well have saved SA the match. I have to agree, in the context of saving the game, the slower century is more useful.

Craig

World Traveller
Seeing how Rudolph plays has showen me he is taking off where Gary Kirsten left off, can bat all day, score quick or slowly, and make big totals and is probably a better fielder.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL 84/1 - lead 194 runs.

Seeing How easy the pitch is playing now , SA may still have a chance in a run chase for 350 on final day, particularly if Kallis and the rest of the batting get going.

Murali appears a bit flat so far in the match, which may help SA.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There may well be a result in this game, but in whose favour?!

263 on with 5 wickets in hand and 111 overs left in the game (less 2 for change of innings)

If SA can pick up another 2 or 3 quickly, they'd fancy their chances IMO.

Waughney

International Debutant
Murali will be licking his lips at the prospect of bowling on a 5th day SL pitch. Scales are even at this stage still IMO

delkap

State Vice-Captain
SL: 174/7 now

Lead: 284
Overs Left: 106 (minus 2 probably for inn change)

Should be a very interesting last day, SL to win IMO, maybe a draw if lead approaches 320+

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
RSA need 324 from 93 overs, a bit beyond them I think. Without having seen the pitch one could reasonably surmise that it is taking spin - Nicky Boje took 5 wickets. With Murali/Chandana/Jayasuriya/Samaraweera/Dilshan and Vaas/Maharoof I can't see South Africa challenging that total.