• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lets rate some of the top contemporary spinners

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Harbajan doesnt have a default arm ! neither does Afridi , if they did chuck they did it on purpose and changed it because they knew it made them look like fools

Murali on the other hand is a pure case of bent armness and many ppl in cricket have been given the oppurtunity to play even though they have that problem and that is the right thing to do !!

He isint given a license to chuck , shame on you thats unfair for saying that . Think aboiut it if u were a hardout cricket fan and loved playing the sport and you were banned for playing cricket because u had a problem with your arm not getting straight and they banned you from playing and told you to sit on the sideline and watch every game ... How would u feel ??

If he is doing it for real then shame on Murali but i truly doubt he is faking it

Kimbo

International Debutant
murali has been cleared. his action is fine. he is the best contemporary off spinner in the world. end of story.
i don't want to try and compare murali with warne. off spin and legspin are just too different.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
He isint given a license to chuck , shame on you thats unfair for saying that . Think aboiut it if u were a hardout cricket fan and loved playing the sport and you were banned for playing cricket because u had a problem with your arm not getting straight and they banned you from playing and told you to sit on the sideline and watch every game ... How would u feel ??
If he has a deformity that makes him do things that are not legal according to the rules of the game, then he should not play cricket, period ! This game hasn't been created to accomodate people of all hues, its for the ones who can play it fair and square as per the rules of the game.The rules cannot be bent for someone who has certain handicaps.Like Bedi said, "Do you let a blind man fly an airplane ?" Cricket isn't some form of charity.Its a game based on certain rules and regulations and if anybody doesn't conform, he or she should be tossed out.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
this lame argument abt murali's action really grates on me..

lets see who have complained abt his action

bishen singh bedi - mods forgive me..but this jackass is one reason why i hate being indian. yeah he was agrt bowler. and a suck ass captain. he still groans abt ganguly and advocates giving the captaincy to sachin :I.
he will alwys gripe as long as he is not given any importance.

holding - grt bowler. thts all. such an biased person. his hate for hooper and his blatant west indian bias make a sick. why cant he contribute some thing positive to his country...whaaaat ? yeah , thts right. he cant swallow his ego..get stuffed

entire australian bandwagon - this is a joke. every body who is a threat is a chucker or has no manners. has long to do list...

slag off - murali - why ? grt spinner
ganguly - why ? - showed spine and told steve what he is - a low level scum bag just like himself. ( both are no grt gentlemen but play the game the way it should be played)

ranatunga - why ? he whooped australia at their own game. he proved emerson is a joke
the list can go on...

england media - nothing to say here.. they have a copyright to whining and have a unlimited supply of sour grapes.
example - recent gough whining abt india using hard tactics...lol yeah right they will ask ur permission before asking the ball to be changed
and the constant tabloid articles abt jenson button to williams and every damn team in formula1 is anothe grt example.

bobby simpson - ooooh a man on a mission to cleanse the world of evils .pity that the aussie team he coached was named ugly aussies for their spirit and the way they played the game. move on

why dont ppl ever take note of the sane voices. sunil gavaskar, brian lara, sachin,akram,trescothick
all rate him..wht else do u folks need ?

yeah he has got a bent arm ? so ? it has been proved he DOES NOT CHUCK. BY EXPERTS OF THE ICC
cheers

[Edited on 7/20/02 by scorpio]

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
No argument, scorpio. Bent arm? Big deal. Doesn't straighten it from the bent position = not chucking. End of story.

You're the first person I've ever heard criticise Mikey. He always comes across to me as a sensible ex-player with sensible opinions.
Ah well, perhaps I'm missing something.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
....why dont ppl ever take note of the sane voices. sunil gavaskar, brian lara, sachin,akram,trescothick

yeah he has got a bent arm ? so ? it has been proved he DOES NOT CHUCK. BY EXPERTS OF THE ICC..move on..or get a job on the icc and ban him..

Sorry i didnt mean to yell just wanted to get my point across.
cheers
Well Scorpio, we are all here to talk about Cricket and not to get tips on how to join ICC.Its your opinion that Murali's action is right and its my opinion that he is a chucker.I am afraid that's how its gonna be.....so deal with it.

As for the ones like Gavaskar and Sachin et al. I think these guys tend to be a little politically correct and want to toe ICC's line.....but to label anybody giving a dissenting opinion about Murali with having a hige ego or some ulterior motive is heinous.Bedi, Holding and others may have been controversial but that does not in any way take away their right to be heard all the more being great cricketers of theor time.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
....why dont ppl ever take note of the sane voices. sunil gavaskar, brian lara, sachin,akram,trescothick

yeah he has got a bent arm ? so ? it has been proved he DOES NOT CHUCK. BY EXPERTS OF THE ICC..move on..or get a job on the icc and ban him..

Sorry i didnt mean to yell just wanted to get my point across.
cheers
Well Scorpio, we are all here to talk about Cricket and not to get tips on how to join ICC.Its your opinion that Murali's action is right and its my opinion that he is a chucker.I am afraid that's how its gonna be.....so deal with it.

As for the ones like Gavaskar and Sachin et al. I think these guys tend to be a little politically correct and want to toe ICC's line.....but to label anybody giving a dissenting opinion about Murali with having a hige ego or some ulterior motive is heinous.Bedi, Holding and others may have been controversial but that does not in any way take away their right to be heard all the more being great cricketers of theor time.

Sorry i edited that line out.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Well bedi and holding are grt. But havent made much sense ever.
Bedi has a chip on his shoulder and fights withn every one. He called harbhajan not worhty of his place, called RAHUL SANGHVI the best indian spinner. He still burns over ganguly. He hates gavaskar,kapil.

One of his most brilliant brain waves has been his constand carping abt how sachin should be made captain for the 3rd time. Get over it he failed twice. He is just a bitter old man now

holding - i dont have some articles and quotes with me now. He is so bitter that no body respects his opinion abt hooper which is just one example i can remember now. A totally biased and stupid commentator.

As for sunil gavaskar being politcally correct - he refused MCC membership. Called the english champion whiners, slagged of waugh as a hypocrite (quite rightly). Since when did these become politcally correct ?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
You know what's called politically correct ? Not to go against Asians or the WestIndians..... that's what is politically correct in cricket.Just like in normal social discourse...to say something against African Americans or minorities in US or UK.So Gavaskar saying things agaist the Poms isn't being politically incorrect...its just the normal behaviour :D

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
You know what's called politically correct ? Not to go against Asians or the WestIndians..... that's what is politically correct in cricket.Just like in normal social discourse...to say something against African Americans or minorities in US or UK.So Gavaskar saying things agaist the Poms isn't being politically incorrect...its just the normal behaviour :D
Nah i dont think so. What u say is very correct. But u dont say anything against the all powerful aussie and brit media. You dont go against the powers of cricket. Ranatunga and ganguly have paid the penalty for that.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Oh well, my login name says it all..I just want to beat the Aussies..."aussie_beater" :D

Yeah I love to see the Aussies and the Poms lose and their media sometimes stinks with racial bias for sure...like when Slater did his jig in Bombay and when the Mike Denness episode happened in SA, you could tell the difference in opinion on the two issues in the English and Aussie media, although they should have been treated equally.

And yes, I am an Indian ....and as fanatical as they come 8D

[Edited on 7/20/02 by aussie_beater]

[Edited on 7/20/02 by aussie_beater]

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Murali is a chucker, its a shame that he's playing at international level.
wow...here is a excellent insight. On what do u base ur oh so brilliant opinion ? yeah all the international batsmen are blind..and less said abt the umpires right ?

how abt some facts ? :rolleyes:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eventually, scorpio, they will get the message. Then we'll have nothing to vent our spleens about. :cheesy:

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
let me end this murali chucking crap.

Requirements to understand this stuff

1. A brain
2. Reading comprehension
3. making the connection

:D :D

From cricinfo.com

With his career in jeopardy, Muralitharan's bowling action was analysed by University of Western Australia and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. Both reports concluded his action was legal.

The University of Western Australia photographed Murali's action at 1,000 frames per second from six different angles, concluding: `From certain angles he does look suspect but from other angles there was not a problem.' The `throwing' was a mere `optical illusion', the report said.

Murali - 400+ Test wickets
Photo AFP

After a three and a half day high tech examination in Hong Kong, the university revealed that Muralitharan was physically incapable of fully extending his right arm and concluded that even his partially bent arm did not straighten when he bowled off-breaks or leg-breaks..

An International Cricket Council (ICC) panel reviewed the evidence and cleared Muralitharan before the 1996 World Cup.

Emerson was largely castigated by the media for his decision; taken whilst standing at the bowler's end.

The article in this website has pictorial evidence and some technical stuff. I couldnt find the western australis univ stuff..so just this for now

http://www-ieem.ust.hk/dfaculty/ravi/murali.html

cheers.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

1. A brain
2. Reading comprehension
3. making the connection
Was that entirely neccessary?

Come on guys, keep it somewhere near civil. I happen to agree with the ICC's ruling about both Shoaib and Murali but people who still disagree cannot be automatically labelled idiots or anything similar. It's called debate and regardless of the rulings of the ICC, these people have a right to their opinion, dig?

scorpio

U19 Cricketer

1. A brain
2. Reading comprehension
3. making the connection
Was that entirely neccessary?

Come on guys, keep it somewhere near civil. I happen to agree with the ICC's ruling about both Shoaib and Murali but people who still disagree cannot be automatically labelled idiots or anything similar. It's called debate and regardless of the rulings of the ICC, these people have a right to their opinion, dig?

I just intended that as a joke..nothing serious though. Thought the smileys would have made it clear..hmm

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Who ever said murali chucked didnt actually see the problem behind it

i must say Go watch some cricket ya **********************************