• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lets rate some of the top contemporary spinners

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
BTW, Scorpio - I reckon Spiderman should've done some of those moves in the movie!!! :D :D

Funniest thing since sliced bread...

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
And still on the Danceing Spiderman.... the funny thing is that I'm almost certain that he's dancing to Shania Twain - "Man I feel like a Woman".... the way he moves in time to the music is uncanny..... :D:D

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, ok Scorpio...

But would you agree that the extent of a cricketer's success goes a bit deeper than wickets and averages??? Let me give you another example...

Is it just a coincidence that we are now seeing a bag of younger spinners coming through the ranks with the same slow, walk-in bowling action as Shane Warne does?? What I mean is, if a cricketer does something that captures the imaginations of young kids around the world, and if he plays the game from his heart the way it's meant to be played, and if he gives everything he is physically and mentally capable of when he's representing his country on the field.... then I don't really give a flying fruitloop how many wickets he's got or how low his average is... these factors shouldn't even come into the equation.
I do agree warne has been a grt influence on cricket and he has sparked a revolution in spin bowling.
but has any one ever wondered how much it has to do with aussies touting him as god and british tabloid press hyping him to the skies..like the stupid ball of the century...that was a frigging joke...

i am not sayin warne is not class...

oh and i think spidey is gay in the animation..lol

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't give a rat's whisker whether Warne, Murali or anyone else is the best twirly, but I tell you one thing - cricket would be a lot duller without them.
There's too much pre-occupation with speed merchants, certainly amongst the media.
I like the idea of genuine medium-pacers too. They are not all failed speedsters. A skilled swing bowler should be able to move the ball both ways in the air (both conventionally and using reverse - allowing for conditions, true). It's just technique and physics. Anyone remember Tom Cartwright in the 1960's? Now he WAS a medium-pacer.

Can we hire the Green Goblin to top spidey?

[Edited on 7/16/02 by luckyeddie]

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
You couldn't put that as your avatar, could you, so it saves space on the screen?

Cheers.
sorry. ive been tryin to make that my avatar but that damn thing wont display there but shows up on my sig :I can you help ?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Warne and Murali are the only really great spinners in our generation. Of these, Warne is well past his best while Murali is at his peak right now not withstanding the poor results against England.

Warne at his best had a great repertoire in his bag and was accurate even while being a big spinner of the ball. His first series was against India in Australia and the Indians who were running for life against the Aussie pacers found the bowling of the raw new entrant to their liking and feasted on it. This probably(I feel) had a lasting effect on him since he never felt comfortable bowling against Indians again even on spin-friendly Indian pitches. He had a fair-to-outstanding record against most other countries.

At this point, Murali is a much more superior spinner to Warne, whether he will also hit the downward curve at a later stage in his career remains to be seen.

Another spinner who has the potential to reach their level is Harbajan. However, it is too early in his career to predict whether he will achieve that.

[Edited on 7/16/02 by anilramavarma]

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scorpio :

I think that's because you have not been promoted from waterboy yet. Get another 4 posts together and then your avatar will become viable.

I'm right, am I not, that 25 is the low limit?

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Scorpio :

I think that's because you have not been promoted from waterboy yet. Get another 4 posts together and then your avatar will become viable.

I'm right, am I not, that 25 is the low limit?
oh thx. i will see if it shows up after that.

btw i am wondering why half the posts on this thread are abt the gay spiderman instead of the ..ummm..meaningful post ;)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I reckon though in the race to reach 600 between Warne and Murali , murali is going to reach there faster , because hes like carrying the bowling weight of sri lanka in his shoulders and he seems to be doing better ? although was not in good form against England in england

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Cairns & McMillan play Warney very well these days, I think we all can agree with that after Cairns & McMillan gave Warne his worst ODI figures earlier in the year.

But pre 1999, Warne was very much feared by NZ, but I think Muralitharan can now take the crown, he's destroyed NZ in the past 6 or 7 ODI's.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think Murali is the best spinner at the moment. But I don't like his action and I don't think it should be allowed. I think Warne is well past his best. some of his great deliverys(like his flipper) don't work as well these days. Also teams target him as usually if he or McGrath go for lots of runs then Aus loses.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
why should murali be blamed if he has a bent arm from birth , i mean he cant help it its a god given thing , and if he loves cricket so much he should be continued playing with it as he already is

Kimbo

International Debutant
yea leave murali alone, so long as he isn't straightening his arm he is fine. he is an extremely talented guy whos eyes really really freak me out

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think he is a great bowler and his stats show that but if his arm is assisting him in any way to get better turn or bounce then I think it is pretty unfair.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is nothing in the laws of the game that say you cannot have a bent arm when bowling - it is the straightening of the elbow during the delivery action which constitutes a throw.
Chandra had an arm withered by polio. Definitely not totally straight, not a throw.
Shoaib - hyper-extention caused by partial double-jointedness of the elbow. Not a throw. Murali - similar. Back through the years, there's been Harold Rhodes, Geoff Griffin, a number of others, fallen foul of the square-leg umpire. It's only now that we can tell that a delivery (hence a bowler) is kosher or not because of modern technology.
Many years ago (when I was a crap fast bowler with a huge ego), a pal of mine suggested that he could throw and 'get away with it'. He did in the next game - for one ball. Square-leg umpire obviously couldn't believe his eyes the first time, but got the second one. Called it. The moron tried it again a couple of overs later. Called again. Taken off. Suspended too. Idiot. It was sooooooo obvious. I wonder what Dr Goonetilleke would have made of him?

[Edited on 7/19/02 by luckyeddie]

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
strangely this topic has seemed to produce not much discussion. This forum seems to have very few contributors making it a little bit boring.

hope fully we will see more guys contributing more effectively

cheers

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
This "hyper-extended bent arm" theory is pretty lame and does not prove anything.If Murali has a congenital defect then that's his problem.The rule says that you cannot straighten the arm or alter its position once it has reached the shoulder height till the ball leaves your hand and that applies to all and sundry.One more peculiarity of Murali's action as pointed out by Bedi is that he does not have a follow-up, which only gives credence to the "chucker" theory.

wahindiawah

Banned
There have been a no of bowlers who had a suspect action.Harbhajan,Afridi,Akhter,Lee ,Malik and a few others.They modified their action and they are hence cleared.

Murali's acse if diff, he doesn't have a suspect action, its simply a clear case of chucing, nothing suspicious about that. He had been given the licence to Chuck by the ICC, shame really