• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lets rate some of the top contemporary spinners

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
As per Giles being a better bet, please. Dont make me laugh.
Giles has been bowling well for the past year or so. Note i said well and not awesome.
Overall Giles is a mediocre spinner- very mediocre at that and i for one would not include him ahead of McGill.
Giles has bowled well whenever presented with a turning pitch. MacGill, in the last 4 years, has bowled well in the odd occasional Test-match (v SA SCG, v WI Bridgetown, v Pak SCG), and he's also bowled a pile of crap many times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Not well enough to be retained (although that's partially owing to injuries)
Personally I'd argue that "almost exclusively" would be a better term.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
i thought this was the top spinners list and not just left arm spinners ?
While i can see Giles and Boje being a contentious issue, Giles is nowhere close to Kaneria or McGill as a spinner.
Nowhere close to Kaneria, no, but better than MacGill for the most part.

C_C

International Captain
Richard said:
Nowhere close to Kaneria, no, but better than MacGill for the most part.
I disagree.
McGill is no warne but he is a tad underrated IMO and a far better spinner than Giles.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
1. Murali
2. Warne
3. Kumble
4. Harbhajan
5. MacGill
6. Kaneria
7. Rafique
8. Giles
9. Vettori
10. Saqlain
Cant disagree much with that. You might consider puting Giles above Rafique and take Saqlain out of the list. Its tragic and a bit unfair to rate this once fantastic bowler now that he is well past it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Past it, at 28?!?!?!?!?!?!
No, just often-injured in the last 2 years and when playing clearly not himself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
1. Murali
2. Warne
3. Kumble
4. Harbhajan
5. MacGill
6. Kaneria
7. Rafique
8. Giles
9. Vettori
10. Saqlain
Personally I'd say something like:
1. Murali\Warne
2. Kumble
3. Kaneria - yes, seriously
4. Saqlain\Harbhajan
5. Vettori
6. Giles\Rafique
7. MacGill
Yes, that's a lot of bowlers equal - I think there are plenty of players who are for-all-intents-and-purposes equally good.
Then there's MacGill. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Saqlain in 1998: 63 wickets at 17.76
Saqlain in 1999: 58 wickets at a staggering 11.37
Saqlain in 2000: 66 wickets at 15.39
Saqlain in 2001: 56 wickets at 20.12
Saqlain in 2002: 53 wickets at 25.64
Saqlain in 2003 (when the injury was starting to affect him): 41 wickets at 33.26
Saqlain in 2004: 12 wickets at 25.33 (from 3 games)
While his performances unquestionably dropped, they simply went from stunning to merely very good - before, that is, the injury restricted first his effectiveness, then his involvement.
Had he not had his problems, I'm fairly confident he'd be striding out from The Oval sometime next season.