• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best New Zealand line-up?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
I've just read that NZ are sending 2 of our quickest youth bowlers to Chennai to train with Dennis Lillee. They are Te Ahu Davis & Leighton Burtt.
Apparently they're both bowling in the mid 140's, but Academy coaches are confident they can bowl much faster yet as they get older.

NZC have assigned Shane Bond to mentor them.
Tim, you've just made me go all shivery with excitement - think of those young fellas bursting towards the crease - I would deliver a Mextedism, but I shall refrain for reasons of decency.

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
I didn't this would be that hard to figure out.

You pick guys with potential, nuture them, and they become consistent performers.

See Symonds, Harmison and Hamish Marshall for recent examples.

Personally, I'll take a match winner over an average but consistent performer any day.
The thing I am leaning not towards his selection is the fact he has been given chances, and he hasn't always taken them.

cbuts

International Debutant
theres also a guy at my club, tiata district, he is only 19 or 20 ande bowls inthe 140s, cnat bowl stright to save himself, ut i know he has been diong alot of work in the winter to fix this

FRAZ

International Captain
Irrelevent But once when I was in a school level team , I sent a letter once to a club in Newzealand that I am a genuine upbringing paceman and wanna play from that club . It was stupid ........

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Was I ever talking about Symonds?
Well considering you responded to a post about Symonds by saying:

I don't like picking players on 'potential' and on the basis that they may have a good day out of how many?
who exactly were you talking about?

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
The thing I am leaning not towards his selection is the fact he has been given chances, and he hasn't always taken them.
He's had one chance - his sole Test match. I seem to remember he took that chance rather well indeed.

Kent

State 12th Man
It seems like he's fairly relaxed about when he'll get another chance though -

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2992863a10133,00.html

"Crocker ruled out the prospect of Andre Adams being a bolter, saying the Auckland allrounder had declared himself unavailable for New Zealand A's tour to South Africa next month."

Not sure if this is the reason, but with Essex omitting import Scott Brant from their latest XI, perhaps they've suggested to Adams he sticks around until the end of the county season. He's no longer contracted to the NZC, so he may be opting to play for them instead.

Craig

World Traveller
No you mentioned Symonds, but before hand I was talking about Adams.

Go back and read some of the earlier pages.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You quoted Andre talking about Symonds and said you "don't like picking players on 'potential'" 8-)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
theres also a guy at my club, tiata district, he is only 19 or 20 ande bowls inthe 140s, cnat bowl stright to save himself, ut i know he has been diong alot of work in the winter to fix this
ive seen many a bowlers like those.. and they hardly do themselves any good..

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
You quoted Andre talking about Symonds and said you "don't like picking players on 'potential'" 8-)
I don't like picking players on the basis they might do it on their day whenever that maybe.

Now Marc get off that bloody fence of yours and actually give us your best NZ line-up as that is what I asked people to do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Often? Not often compared to those who are picked on the basis of performance at the domestic level over a period of time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
OK then, look at the England team's averages in domestic Cricket.

How many of them would get in if it were based on domestic performance?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Equally, look at the number of "hunches" who have failed thus far, even though those failures have not always been from fair chances: McGrath, Foster, Collingwood, Batty, Jones thus far, Dawson, Schofield, Adams, Maddy, Read, Hegg, the examples from 1998 onward, in Test-matches. In ODIs there are plenty more: Mahmood, Key, Troughton, McGrath, Clarke, Harmison, Batty, Blackwell, Tudor, Sidebottom, Snape, Kirtley, Foster, Shah, Vaughan, Solanki, Wells, Maddy.
The examples often quoted as successful hunches are Trescothick (lucky, I don't consider him a success), Vaughan (whose First-Class average has gone up and up from his Test-debut onwards) and Harmison (6 good matches doesn't yet prove anything, especially given the two most recent games). These are in Test-matches; in ODIs recently there have been two that, so far in their careers, have been successes despite average domestic records, Strauss and Johnson, neither who have played a compelling number of ODIs.
So really you can see why I prefer to judge an international selection on domestic success.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If the England side were selected on domestic figures, how many would be in?

I imagine very few if any.