• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best New Zealand line-up?

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
I forgot to put Cairns in the ODI team. Of course I'd have him there.

I believe Fulton would be better at stopping the rot due to him doing this for Canterbury a few times last year, when their top order failed. Taylor may well be capable but is yet to score a FC century. I think both deserve a place considering the amount of runs and averages they posted in the OD games last season.

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
He played one Test, was a star and to this day has been discarded. That's not faith.
So they should just carry a player if he is not performaning on the basis of he has an 'x-factor' and he could do it 'on his day'.

So if Australia was in a similar position would you advocate then doing it?

Waughney

International Debutant
Tests:
Richardson
Fleming
Astle
Styris
McMillan
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Franklin
Adams
Tuffey

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Tests:

Richardson
Papps
Fleming
Astle
McMillan
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Tuffey
Martin

man how much do NZ miss Bond and Cairns?!? that pair made NZ look like a very fearsome outfit.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure..when Cairns lights up he can be dangerous, but his batting was only ever coming off once every 5 or 6 innings. And his bowling apart from the 3rd test in England has been lacklustre & clearly his best years are gone.

It was time for him to move on & NZ will certainly not miss him with Jacob Oram really starting to step up. So NZC can be pleased that there has been a successful progression there. I think Oram will be as good as Cairns if not better.

Shane Bond has obviously been the biggest loss for NZ. His pace adds alot to the NZ attack. It seems we're coping ok without him in ODI's but we desperately need a quick bowler for tests at the moment..it's time for Butler to step up IMO. Butler has been around the NZ set-up for almost 3 years now so surely he should be about ready to put some consistent performances up.

The new breed of talent in NZ is probably the best we've ever had. McCullum is a brilliant player...coming straight out of U19 cricket into the VB Series was a disaster waiting to happen & so I think his progress got stunted somewhat. He's only just starting to show his true potential & he'll be vital to the NZ middle order in years to come.

I've noticed that we've got a number of Maori players starting to emerge in NZ cricket..most notably Ross Taylor & Jesse Ryder. Maori or Polynesian people are very talented at sport & I hope that NZ can tap into that.

Craig

World Traveller
Nnanden said:
Tests:

Richardson
Papps
Fleming
Astle
McMillan
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Tuffey
Martin

man how much do NZ miss Bond and Cairns?!? that pair made NZ look like a very fearsome outfit.
Of course they will be missed at some point or rather, who wouldn't?

I guess a side like New Zealand who are often struck down by injuries, I guess they have got used to their big names like Cairns and Bond not being there. And if they haven't then something is wrong.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Craig said:
Of course they will be missed at some point or rather, who wouldn't?

I guess a side like New Zealand who are often struck down by injuries, I guess they have got used to their big names like Cairns and Bond not being there. And if they haven't then something is wrong.

sorry can u please make ur first sentence make sense?? thanks.

Mingster

State Regular
With McMillan out of form, and Cairns retired. I've changed my stance on Hamish Marshall's Test prospects for the Black Caps. There was a good article in the NZ Herald the other day about Marshall for the Test team, and it does look like he has the temperament and the technique to transfer his success to the Test side.

Most of the side is pretty settled, with the one concern over the final spot which could be filled by an extra opener (Papps), middle-order bat (McMillan) and an extra fast bowler in Butler. Depending on the conditions etc, I would tend towards Butler in the side, giving the side that extra strikepower in the bowling department.

My Test XI:

Stephen Fleming (c)
Mark Richardson
Hamish Marshall
Scott Styris
Nathan Astle
Craig McMillan/Michael Papps/Ian Butler
Jacob Oram
Brendon McCullum+
Daniel Vettori
James Franklin
Daryl Tuffey

Mingster

State Regular
Andre said:
He played one Test, was a star and to this day has been discarded. That's not faith.
Adams has played numerous ODIs since that Test debut. Go back to the summer where he was flogged by Pakistan. Bowling leg-stump waist high fulltosses at the death is not ideal to convincing selectors you deserve another Test match.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bichel is actually quite handy with the bat. However if he were scoring centuries regularly it might be a different matter.

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
I've noticed that we've got a number of Maori players starting to emerge in NZ cricket..most notably Ross Taylor & Jesse Ryder. Maori or Polynesian people are very talented at sport & I hope that NZ can tap into that.
I'm sure that NZCC had the same thoughts when Davis, Sua & Parore broke thru'...........

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Parore had talent..Su'a did not & Heath Davis was extremely raw much like Nantie Hayward.

There's no doubt that Taylor & Ryder are probably better than all 3 combined.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Bichel could be a very capable bat if he focused completely on that. Its not fair to make judgements based on his ability, which is very good anyway.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
he could make quite a good all rounder which will boost his chances of making the aus Xi if he worked a lot more on his batting too.. and ofcourse bowling.