• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bond - finished off for good?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
bond is/was my 2nd fave player... and i hate the stupid injuries he keeps gettin`!! best bowler since hadders imo.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mr. P said:
Best NZ bowler or all time bowler?

If all time, you're an idiot:)
hahahaha noooooo i meant kiwi bowler!! thats why i said hadlee and not someone else good or whoever.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Dare I say it but if Bond can't make a comeback by the middle of next year..he's finished. Extremely sad.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This isn't just a loss to Bond and NZ, but also a loss to all of cricket in my opinion. The guy was great to watch, and even when he was taking wickets against the Indians I almost had a smile on my face because his bowling was so exciting. Sad, so sad :(

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think NZ are probably getting used to the fact that they may not get Bond back. We're still winning ODI's & we're not far off from playing good test cricket also.

It's just that Bond was probably our first genuine pace bowler who could bowl in the mid 150's, legal action & could blast out world class batsmen.
But I think we all should have known that considering the track record of NZ bowlers & injuries..this was always a likely outcome.

cbuts

International Debutant
we have ahd plaenty of real quick bowlers like this, brendon bracewell, shane thompson come to mind. ian butler looks to ahv ethe goods now, and another season of county cricket will do him alot of good

ReallyCrazy

Banned
There were only two times I saw Bond and both were in the World Cup. He was so devastating against Australia and also against India. Even when he bowled against India, I couldn't help but be awestuck. I'm just sad I didn't get to see more of him. It will a big loss to cricket if he's done :(

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
masterblaster said:
Probably the biggest rise and fall due to injury in the history of the game.
Possibly. the Brett Schultz saga was just as bad IMO -- perhaps even worse.
Schultz("The bear") was lethal when not injured -- even on dead Lankan wickets

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
Probably the biggest rise and fall due to injury in the history of the game.
And yet that rise has surely been purely theoretical in Test-cricket - really, if you look at it, his only real achievement in Tests was to bowl well in West Indies.
Taking cheap wickets against Bangladesh and in that India series really isn't much to shout about. Especially considering he bowled so poorly in Australia and Sri Lanka.
In ODIs of course it's a different story, his short career was exceptional, but really someone who hasn't even looked like conquering the Test game can't be looked upon as highly as he was.

But of course it's always a great shame when any career is cut short by injury.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Really, really sad. He was one bowler with real penetrating power, along with the dependable Cairns. Good to see Butler shaping up well. Otherwise, there are not too many bowlers who are as effective. They need Bond to improve their cahnces of taking 20 wickets in Tests.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Richard said:
And yet that rise has surely been purely theoretical in Test-cricket - really, if you look at it, his only real achievement in Tests was to bowl well in West Indies.
Taking cheap wickets against Bangladesh ......
well apparently thats enough to be the world's best pace bowler these days.

he would have done it by now, but if he didnt maybe he would be better off visiting some of the experts around the world (particularly in australia). facilities in christchurch may not be that great.

he's got a bit of time to work through. i'm sure he'll be back (he's still got that no.10 position waiting in the ROW side :) )

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Great shame. However, if his back does recover he may have many years left, as he hasn't played a lot of cricket in the last 6 years. It could extend his playing career; hopefully.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bond's test stats are decent..but not spectacular. It's his ODI stats which are impressive...I don't see many other bowlers around at the moment who have consistently knocked over Australia as much as he has.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Raj123 said:
well apparently thats enough to be the world's best pace bowler these days.

I'm assuming that that's a dig at Harmison, and think that perhaps you should look at who he dismissed in the series after Bangladesh (and the volume of wickets he got)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've just read that Bond's manager Geoff Allott believes that Bond is very likely to play again but most likely only in ODI's. Well ODI's is better than nothing & thats where he has played his best cricket anyway.