• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bond - finished off for good?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Richard said:
Whatever the number of wickets, relative, none of it matters unless the wickets were taken with good deliveries.
Somehow I doubt they were, and if you say they were, sorry, I'm not going to automatically believe that.
Fine, but IMO saying that none of the wickets were taken with good deliveries is IMO ludicrous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hard Harry said:
The whole point of encouraging pace and bounce in our pitches is to try and produce more bowlers who can work with that type of wicket and not rely on sideways movement. We want bowlers that can bowl cutting deliveries without assistance.

Having a "strength" of being good on green seamers isn't desirable, and NZC have acknowledged that by trying to change the playing conditions. As it is these days, we're seeing more and more flat tracks around the world, it only makes sense to try and develop bowlers that can take wickets on them.
Well if you want bowlers who can do well on all surfaces it doesn't matter if they're quick or slow, all that matters is that they don't move off the seam or offer much turn.
Sad thing is, England and New Zealand are supposed to be countries where seam (and swing, but no-one, whoever they are, can stop good swing-bowlers swinging the ball :D :D :D ) dominate. It is a loss to the diversity of cricket if they stop producing proper English\Kiwi wickets. Same way it is if India and Sri Lanka stop preparing mostly dustbowls.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
here are is a quote from the cricinfo match report....
"Having negotiated a testing spell from Shane Bond, New Zealand's most penetrative bowler Tillakaratne and Jayawardene settled down and were rarely troubled in the evening"

bond was the best fast bowler in the match....in fact the ball that he got jayasuriya bowled with was an excellent yorker.
Wow, one good ball all series... what an achievement.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Wow, one good ball all series... what an achievement.
if you had watched that series you would have seen that he bowled plenty of good balls, particularly in that spell just after lunch on the same day. its stupid how you can just write off his performances without even watching him bowl, especially considering he was by far the best fast bowler in the match and definetly better than vaas.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, because Vaas was having an off-match and to be better than him on one of those occasions isn't much of an achievement.
I would have watched the series if I'd had the chance, sadly no TV channel I can access showed it.
And how many times do I have to tell you that a good ball that doesn't take a wicket doesn't mean a bad ball then deserves one?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
richard didnt think halsey had watched em all, but halsey has.
in aussie-speak we (i) would say that rich was told.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Yes, because Vaas was having an off-match and to be better than him on one of those occasions isn't much of an achievement.
thats not the point....the point is that he bowled well on a placid wicket....

Richard said:
And how many times do I have to tell you that a good ball that doesn't take a wicket doesn't mean a bad ball then deserves one?
how many times do i have to tell you that the number of good balls in between the bad balls are actually responsible for the number of wickets that you get!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
thats not the point....the point is that he bowled well on a placid wicket....
Which has what to do with bowling better than Chaminda...?
Just because he out-bowled Chaminda when he was having a poor game doesn't automatically mean anything.
how many times do i have to tell you that the number of good balls in between the bad balls are actually responsible for the number of wickets that you get!
As many as you like - doesn't change the fact it's not true, same as the number of times you say things didn't happen which did doesn't change the fact that they did!

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Which has what to do with bowling better than Chaminda...?
Just because he out-bowled Chaminda when he was having a poor game doesn't automatically mean anything.
no the point is that you seemed to deny that bond ever bowled well outside of the seaming conditions and poor batting lineups,when he quite clearly hasnt,and that too without watching that series....

Richard said:
As many as you like - doesn't change the fact it's not true, same as the number of times you say things didn't happen which did doesn't change the fact that they did!
it is true if you would only be able to take another persons viewpoint instead of sticking to what you believe is true when its quite clearly false and has been shown on several occasions on the cricket field

FRAZ

International Captain
Harmison . Names very funny . Put an extra a in between some where and becomes some thing we dont wanna hear .