• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Jones - International Failure?

DJellett

International Debutant
I have seen no reason why he should stay in the England side.
Please guys try to make me see the light.

PY

International Coach
This pitch is dead as a dodo so I wouldn't base it on anything that you see in this Test. He's (along with Goughie) probably the best user of reverse swing when the conditions are right.

Plus he's just come back from another injury. He hasn't had a decent run since before Australia (who I still blame for his injury.....;))

PY

International Coach
Caddick - recovering from injury.
Harmison - playing.
Tudor - a heartless, whinging, arrogant but fairly talented. Thanks but no thanks.
Bulbeck - retired from FC cricket with a knee injury.
Irani - about 33 and crap.
Saggers - may have a point to make about not being included because this pitch isn't for the bang-it-in type.

Plus......if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

PY

International Coach
And Jones produces a snorter to dismiss Bravo. Though the pitch may have something to do with it.

Swervy

International Captain
DJellett said:
Still where's -
Caddick
Harmison
Tudor
Bulbeck
Irani
ETC ETC
Bulbeck????He might have been good on ICC game but hardly international class in real life

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PY said:
And Jones produces a snorter to dismiss Bravo. Though the pitch may have something to do with it.
The pitch may have had a lot to with it. It definitely hit a crack.

PY

International Coach
I don't know, Bulbeck at the very start of his career was touted as having the potential to go all the way?!?!

OK, Liam, it had a big something to do with it. Happy? :p

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
It would be hard coming back from a knee reconstruction (is that what he had????). Why doesn't Dominic Cork get picked anymore???

PY

International Coach
Jones or Bulbeck? Not that it matters because both of them had crock knees.

This is one of the few occasions where the contracted players not playing for counties is pretty bad in my opinion. Jones hasn't had a great deal of chance to bowl in past few weeks if my memory serves me correctly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dark Hunter said:
It would be hard coming back from a knee reconstruction (is that what he had????). Why doesn't Dominic Cork get picked anymore???
Because, sadly, he didn't produce the goods in 5 of his 6 most recent Test-matches.
And in the last two domestic seasons, while he's picked-up an acceptible number of wickets (still disappointing by his high standards) he's not been as accurate as he is at his best. Though last season that may have had something to do with a chipped bone in his ankle that he played with for two-thirds of the season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
I don't know, Bulbeck at the very start of his career was touted as having the potential to go all the way?!?!
So have plenty of people down the years in England.
Most of them end-up with as poor records as Bulbeck did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Frankly, no bowler can possibly deserve any credit whatsoever for a ball like that.
They talk about the Hoggard ball to Richardson - this topped it.
Think, on a pitch showing no more than occasional signs of slight unevenness, a ball pitches on a full length and flies past your shoulder, taking the glove.
Not a good length - occasionally you will see balls from tall bowlers flying like that off a good, slightly short, length - we are talking about a short bowler, off a full length.
That ball was a freak the like of which I have never seen before - even in the brief highlights of Jamaica '98.

PY

International Coach
Jones is far from short. He's about 6 foot 3 inches if not more.

I didn't credit him with so you can keep your tighty whites on, I just said he produced (which he did) a snorter. The pitch did it but he still bowled the bloody thing.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DJellett said:
I have seen no reason why he should stay in the England side.
Please guys try to make me see the light.
Still, this sort of occurrance is the exact reason why discussing this sort of thing in the middle of a game is not the time.
Anything can conceivably happen if a game is in progress. The time do discuss team changes is in between games.
If Jones' failures continue this match, not inconceivable but by no means a certainty, and Anderson's good domestic form continues in the current Gloucs second-innings, then we may see him in the Edgbaston game. On the other hand, we may not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DJellett said:
What other good English quicks are there?
Almost beyond doubt the next seamer to be picked if one is dropped in the near future will be Anderson - whose last 3 Tests have all been shockers and whose ODI wicket-taking has waned slightly since last summer.
After that, I suppose it's anyone's guess. Saggers didn't distinguish himself in his recent appearances, Kirtley's had a very poor season thus far, Johnson's got injured lots and, after one seven-for, has had a shocker even worse than Kirtley, Tudor must be some way down the order, Caddick hasn't been great this season either, and there are no untried seamers who have consistently averaged under 27, let alone under 24, and gone at less than 3-an-over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Jones is far from short. He's about 6 foot 3 inches if not more.

I didn't credit him with so you can keep your tighty whites on, I just said he produced (which he did) a snorter. The pitch did it but he still bowled the bloody thing.
Yes, I know that but some people will try to credit him - the commentators on at the time inevitably did, already.
Is Jones really even that tall? Certainly he's not giant like Harmison, Caddick etc., that's what I meant.
He's not short like Gough in that case, but still not the sort of bowler who is routinely called "tall".