• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Jones - International Failure?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DJellett said:
Paul Hutchinson?
Hutchison should never have left Yorks, he's been sporadically very impressive but he's played so comparatively and skipped counties so much that there's no way he can ever get close to international selection.
In my view he's a better bowler than Sidebottom (who, somehow, has been picked for England in both game-forms) but he's never been consistent and he's never played enough.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He started this season really well but he's not been so good in the more recent games - he had a shocker in the recent Scarborough-Somerset game.
He took plenty of wickets last season but was more expensive than he is when bowling at his best. And in 2002 he wasn't great in either respect.
It is a real shame the partnership of him and Gough has been split. Indeed, we've lost most of the good seamers we've produced (not so long ago Gough, Silverwood, Hamilton, Hoggard, White, Hutchison, Sidebottom, Kirby, Elstub and Bresnan were all vying for places - now look).

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
yay yet another discussing english selection thread!!
to stay on topic... jones needs more accuracy IMO. hes doing ok in this test.

Piper

International Captain
PY said:
This pitch is dead as a dodo so I wouldn't base it on anything that you see in this Test. He's (along with Goughie) probably the best user of reverse swing when the conditions are right.

Plus he's just come back from another injury. He hasn't had a decent run since before Australia (who I still blame for his injury.....;))
I agree with u PY

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
DJellett said:
Still where's -
Caddick
Harmison
Tudor
Bulbeck
Irani
ETC ETC

2 of those 5 no longer bowl.
1 is in this game.
1 is consistently injured and has no heart.
The other is in woeful form for Somerset.

tooextracool

International Coach
DJellett said:
I have seen no reason why he should stay in the England side.
Please guys try to make me see the light.
i dont think you watched his performances in the previous test at lords....because if you had then there would really be no point in even having this argument.
hes not match fit and hes only bowled in 1 inning, how anyone can call for the axe this early is just beyond belief.

Piper

International Captain
I think if he hadnt picked up that injury against NZ, i think he would have taken alot of wickets. Please dont forget that he is just coming back from injury and hes not match fit and he needs to just have some games to find his form again.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Jones has looked singularly unimpressive this game, it pains me to say.

If he has another bad game in the second Test, I will need some convincing that he is Test class.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Jones has looked singularly unimpressive this game, it pains me to say.

If he has another bad game in the second Test, I will need some convincing that he is Test class.
I don't see how you can make any judgement about anyone as a result of this game, because the pitch is so discouraging to good play.

All we have learned about Key is that he is able to bat for several hours against unthreatening bowling on a dead pitch. Dwayne Bravo's performance tells us as much about his future prospects as Anthony McGrath's performance here against the Zims last year - nothing beyond the fact that he can play reasonably composed cricket in front of a big crowd.

Even were this not the case, it seems incredibly premature to rush to judgement about Jones on the basis of the next Test. Jones has reached about the level which Harmison had a year or so ago, which is about the same level as Best and Edwards. We know they can occasionally bowl well as well as fast. Best and Jones both have attitude and enthusiasm. They all need another year or so before we'll really have an idea whether they're going to be Test class on a regular basis.

Cheers,

Mike

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The other bowlers all looked like taking wickets occasionally though - for example, close LBW appeals. Jones just got nowhere near. The only wicket he took was due to the pitch.

PY

International Coach
You were obviously still at kindergarten during the New Zealand series then?

He bowled extremely well with the old ball in one of the Tests (which one escapes me) and finally got some rhythm going.

If you're going to make a decision on this pitch, then Harmison is crap because he didn't take any wickets either. Give the bloke a chance man.....

a massive zebra

International Captain
PY said:
If you're going to make a decision on this pitch, then Harmison is crap because he didn't take any wickets either. Give the bloke a chance man.....
Yes but Harmison has done consistenty well in the last two series. Barely anyone can perform every single innings. Jones has never done well in any form of professional cricket - be it Tests, the County Championship, or domestic one day.

PY

International Coach
Neither had Harmison to be fair.

I'm in no personal doubt that Harmison's meteoric rise has been partially due to being able to stay fit for almost a year now which has allowed him to build up rhythm and with it confidence. Jones hasn't had a month of being fit yet, let alone a year.

I'm not saying that Jones will turn out to be a world-beater but I think he has to be allowed to play as:
1) There's no-one better.
2) He needs match practice.

If he ends up carrying on like he is then I'll be first to jump at his throat but until he's had a good run I'm going to keep an open mind. And let's not forget, as Mike has said, this pitch has been taken from the M1 (with cracks and all) and relaid onto the Lord's turf.

a massive zebra

International Captain
PY said:
I'm not saying that Jones will turn out to be a world-beater but I think he has to be allowed to play as:
1) There's no-one better.
2) He needs match practice.
How do you know there is no one better if no one is being given a chance. There are certainly more consistent and dangerous bowlers in county cricket, even in the Glamorgan side. Note that Jones never opens the bowling for Glamorgan even when fully fit.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Yes but Harmison has done consistenty well in the last two series. Barely anyone can perform every single innings. Jones has never done well in any form of professional cricket - be it Tests, the County Championship, or domestic one day.
Would you care to explain why his five-fer in the Caribbean was not an example of him doing well in Test cricket?

His spell with the old ball on the Saturday of the NZ game earlier this year, when he displayed some excellent reverse swing, was enough to keep me interested in him, because we would be very grateful for a bowler who can do things in overs 50-80 with a Test ball.

Cheers,

Mike

a massive zebra

International Captain
badgerhair said:
Would you care to explain why his five-fer in the Caribbean was not an example of him doing well in Test cricket?

His spell with the old ball on the Saturday of the NZ game earlier this year, when he displayed some excellent reverse swing, was enough to keep me interested in him, because we would be very grateful for a bowler who can do things in overs 50-80 with a Test ball.

Cheers,

Mike
Anyone can take wickets occasionally. Even bowlers like Carl Hooper or Ashley Giles have taken 5-fors in Test cricket. Anyway every England bowler in that series took plenty of wickets largely down to pathetic batting and poor pitches. One good performance in almost a dozen matches is not something to be proud of. For the most part Jones has bowled an inconsistent line and length, while not looking like taking wickets. Do you really think he would average 38 in the championship or 130 in the NCL if he was actually a threat?

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
How do you know there is no one better if no one is being given a chance. There are certainly more consistent and dangerous bowlers in county cricket, even in the Glamorgan side. Note that Jones never opens the bowling for Glamorgan even when fully fit.
Name them.

And for my sanity, don't say people who are reknowned county trundlers.

a massive zebra

International Captain
PY said:
Name them.

And for my sanity, don't say people who are reknowned county trundlers.
In the Glamorgan side David Harrison has totally outclassed him. There is also Kirtley (who outbowled Harmison the few times they played together), Saggers (who took a wicket with his first Test ball in England, and has been the most consistently excellent county bowler this millenium), Johnson (who has a stunning Test record), Anderson (who has started his ODI career brilliantly and has potential), Mascarenhas (who is in top form at the moment), Martin Bicknell (who is too old now but should have played far more for England and is still much better than Jones), and probably Silverwood aswell.

Last edited: