• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 in NZ

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently NZ will play Australia in a Twenty20 match next March at Eden Park.

shaka

International Regular
That sounds like a good idea considering its success in other countries.However I reckon they should bring back Max cricket because a batsman gets bonus runs if they hit within the "v" area. Perhaps adding bonus runs would be a boost to the game.

shaka

International Regular
I was talking about the bonus run scheme that max had, not about the rest of it

shaka

International Regular
where did you hear about this planned twenty/20 international at Eden Park???

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Twenty/20 should never become more than a sidshow to ODIs and tests, as it has very little strategy and limited skill compared to the longer games. It may help NZ develop some death bowlers, hopefully.

It would help acclimatize Americans to the game though. I believe the professional cricket league in the US that starts this month will be playing Twenty/20 format, but with designated hitters.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From Radiosport.co.nz:

"Meanwhile, the Australian tour features a new revamped 20/20 one day match in Auckland (Feb 17), as well as five full one dayers and three tests.

The 20/20 match is played like a one day match but with 20 overs per side instead of 50 - the concept was developed by the England Cricket Board and has proved to be very popular at domestic level in England and South Africa, although this will be the first 20/20 international match played between two full ICC member countries."

England v Aus was meant to be the first, but it looks like NZ is going to beat England to it.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It makes me think that Twenty20 will indeed be played by the Domestic teams this season.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Martin Crowe hoped Super Max would help NZ with death bowling...but it didn't really.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
Martin Crowe hoped Super Max would help NZ with death bowling...but it didn't really.
True, I remember Carl Bulfin was an absolutely superb bowler in Max but got smashed all over the place in ODIs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
England v Aus was meant to be the first, but it looks like NZ is going to beat England to it.

Oh dear, I'm gutted at that (!)

At least our shortened version of the game works :p

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Martin Crowe will be quietly upset about this. But from what i've seen of Twenty20, it's a far better concept than Super Max.

I can see it catching on in NZ. NZ sports fans are obsessed with fast paced games of sport (e.g. All Blacks, league etc) and it could boost gate takings for NZC dramatically if fans adopt this concept here. It's worked both in England & South Africa.

Craig

World Traveller
Well Cricket Max was fairly successful early on, with some healthy crowds.

It will be perfect for Cairns, Adams, Oram etc.

Loony BoB

International Captain
All this talk about it being the first 20/20 may be put aside should another ODI come along and get rained down to twenty overs a piece, like one of the NZ-Windies games was looking to be at one point before the rain (or was it poor light?) came down once more and pushed the game out of play-time. But yeah, that would have been the first.

Not that it really matters, but I just like to point dumb things out like this because I'm bored. Twenty20 games are okay and all, but I personally prefer ODI's because I like to have something to watch for an entire day of a weekend.

Kent

State 12th Man
No matter what they do, I'm not confident NZ will ever get provincial cricket-watching back into the mainstream again. Sure, the 20/20 concept has been a massive hit in England, but just quietly I think Kiwi sports consumers are more cynical and conservative.

It will only take a Murray Deaker, a Bryan Waddle or a Martin Devlin to rubbish 20/20 for everyone else to a) over-analyse it and b) begin a knocking campaign. I have to admit it, they are 2 things NZ may lead the world in. I can be as guilty as anyone! ;)

Last edited:

one_dayer

Cricket Spectator
Loony BoB said:
All this talk about it being the first 20/20 may be put aside should another ODI come along and get rained down to twenty overs a piece, like one of the NZ-Windies games was looking to be at one point before the rain (or was it poor light?) came down once more and pushed the game out of play-time. But yeah, that would have been the first.

Not that it really matters, but I just like to point dumb things out like this because I'm bored. Twenty20 games are okay and all, but I personally prefer ODI's because I like to have something to watch for an entire day of a weekend.
It will be the first "organized" Twenty20 International, it wont go in the record book as being an ODI. Im sure the ECB arent too happy about this seeing as they billed Eng/Aus as the 1st :D

Last edited: