• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Nicholas

gio

U19 Cricketer
That's pure guess work. When the BBC returned with Premiership highlights this season, the program had changed a lot for the better having learned from the ITV coverage. If the BBC won cricket coverage back, I'm sure a similar thing will happen. But in the end, I'm not bothered who gets it - as long as it stays on terrestrial TV (with the exception of ITV).

Langeveldt

Soutie
gio said:
Well i for one really enjoy Mark Nicholas' commentary. None of them, not even Benaud, compare to Foxy though
Foxy and Aggers are the cream of English commentary.. I have so much time for those guys

Nicholas is getting worse and worse though, there are I am sure a number of people who would kill to be in his shoes... yet somehow he is persevered with..

He doesn't seem to be rated very much anywhere, maybe the Channel 4 powers that be have their ears shut though.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Foxy and Aggers are the cream of English commentary.. I have so much time for those guys

Nicholas is getting worse and worse though, there are I am sure a number of people who would kill to be in his shoes... yet somehow he is persevered with..

He doesn't seem to be rated very much anywhere, maybe the Channel 4 powers that be have their ears shut though.
There's even more who would just kill him, period.

PY

International Coach
superkingdave said:
As above, i think you'll find you'd miss a lot more cricket with BBC than with Channel 4
Maybe so, but BBC only have racing on at weekends and they also have a pre-booked slot on BBC1 for that so I was thinking that they might possibly use that and keep the cricket free.

Especially if I spam them with e-mails with the finer points of keeping continuous coverage. :ph34r:

Craig

World Traveller
superkingdave said:
IIRC theyre contract runs out next year and the ECB are making noises about going all satellite, so Mark might be restricted to the odd C & G match now :)

What noises they're making i dont know but i would guess they would be of the grunting vareity
Which means no satellite, no cricket?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
They use to be but not any more.
But even tho sky can offer infinitely more money than bbc / ch4 id be surprised if the ECB would risk losing the audience that a terrestrial channel would gurarentee them.
As far as I can see giving all cricket-coverage to Sky because the initial package was more lucrative would be one of those not-entirely-vicious circles that ends in catastrophe:
Sky take cricket coverage - more money in the short-term:-
Cricket audiences diminish - cricket becomes a much less valuable investment:-
The package becomes less valuable, a smaller sum is paid for the next one.
I hope and pray that The ECB see this and take the long-term, sustainable view.
One thing we can say is that England's phenominal Test run simply could not have been better-timed - just as the new deal is being negotiated, televised cricket is at the most lucrative point it's ever been.
Now the new deal is as good as we could hope for, then we get two series against strong teams, but the 10-0 thrashing comes too late for the TV companies. :D
Well, hoping against the 10-0 thrashing, but the important work has already been done. English cricket's immidiate future is as safe as it could have been - as I say, we could not hope for a better light for public and TV companies to see the game in, just at the most important time of all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
gio said:
That's pure guess work. When the BBC returned with Premiership highlights this season, the program had changed a lot for the better having learned from the ITV coverage. If the BBC won cricket coverage back, I'm sure a similar thing will happen. But in the end, I'm not bothered who gets it - as long as it stays on terrestrial TV (with the exception of ITV).
TV improvements are never reversed, whoever made them. See WSC. It didn't need Packer to be organising it for everyone to know what they needed to do.
Personally I think C4 made them, and I'd prefer them to keep the coverage for continuity's sake. The best package I'd hope for is the 2000-2000\01 package, but I can't help feeling it might be long-gone.
6 Tests, one C&G quarter, both semis and the final on C4, extensive highlights of the one remaining home Test and all the ODIs, prime-time highlights of all the live Tests, even highlights of the B&H final. And extensive highlights of all away Tests, and even, thoughts-be-bound-at-it, away ODIs!
Then one home Test on Sky, all the ODIs, very extensive highlights of every home international, full coverage and full highlights of all away games. Plus God-knows-how-many Australian, South African and West Indian series, and the odd multi-team tourno.
Ahh, those were the days... just a shame they didn't last long.

Aylott

Cricket Spectator
Best Commentators- Richie Benuad " Theres been a lot of diving by the batsman, it's rather like a soccer match" " That was about as usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike"
Blowers of TMS is a legend

Mark Nicholas is ok just annoying when he goes " L...B...W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
From cricinfo quotes he said, "Please don't make me out to be a cad"

Whats a cad?
A bounder - as in "By Jove, Bunty. The Mem-Sahib was just going to snaffle the last cream cake down at Taunton the other day and that dashed Ian Blackwell only went and barged in front, bagging it for himself."
"Darned bad show, Colonel. Mind you, jolly understandable. The bounder comes from Chesterfield."
"All thieves, those Derbyshire Johnnies. Crooked, every man-jack of them."
"Like the spire."
"Not a lot. Dashed thing's crooked - oh, I say. That was jolly clever of you, Bunty."
"What was, Colonel?"

etc

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
A bounder - as in "By Jove, Bunty. The Mem-Sahib was just going to snaffle the last cream cake down at Taunton the other day and that dashed Ian Blackwell only went and barged in front, bagging it for himself."
"Darned bad show, Colonel. Mind you, jolly understandable. The bounder comes from Chesterfield."
"All thieves, those Derbyshire Johnnies. Crooked, every man-jack of them."
"Like the spire."
"Not a lot. Dashed thing's crooked - oh, I say. That was jolly clever of you, Bunty."
"What was, Colonel?"

etc
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: