• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andre Adams - first 100!

Mingster

State Regular
On county debut too.

124 off 91 balls, 13x4s and 7x6s....

Mighty impressive. Always had the talent, but never managed to control it properly.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Great to see him finally make it!:)

Ill just wish him good luck for the future, hopefully he can get even better.:)

shaka

International Regular
He needs to gain some confidence in his abilities, because we all know that he has the ability, but has not managed to be successful so far, hopefully a good stint in England will mean a return to the Black Caps one-day team.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im pleased Adams has backed up what i've been saying about him..I still think he has a place in the NZ team.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Loony BoB said:
Please avoid this post if you don't really care for NZ'ers coming into a thread they've barely posted in at all just to praise his countrymen. :)

Bwahaha, Adams did well yesterday, I was so happy. He beats the Windies captain by nine balls for fastest FC century this season, I think - 80 balls to get to his 100, and three sixes in a row at one point - all on a day where the bowlers were doing so well, too! Not bad for a guy who's used to coming in at #9... still, he's in there mainly for his bowling, hope he can actually pick up some wickets. If the rain goes away. Good day for NZ'ers, too, with Franklin taking a five-for with the possibility of two more wickets to his name later today.

Very relieved to see Adams performing though. I wish he'd do that at international level (consistently), too. I wish I could have seen that innings...
I understand why people think he should be in the NZ ODI squad, but bowling-wise I actually think he tends to perform better in the longer version of the game. I've no idea why, either, although maybe it's just the pressure that the shorter game can provide. I'm all praise for this guy, I love to watch him and it's a shame he's been inconsistent at international level. The only problem I have is that he's only been given one shot at test level, and although he did well he was never brought back in based on his performances in ODI's.

I look forward to seeing how well he bowls, because as I said in the quoted post, that's the area that NZ will be counting on him to perform in should they select him...

EDIT: Yay Mingster for mentioning the test team. :)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know if NZ could ever play him as an All-rounder though..I don't think he could bat any higher than #8 unless he was playing as a pinch-hitter. I really rate his bowling..I think batsmen find him alot quicker than he looks & he gets good bounce.

I also think Adams has the X-Factor..he'll create opportunities that other players just can't. He's much like Andrew Symonds except I think Symonds is far more capable with the bat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Im pleased Adams has backed up what i've been saying about him..I still think he has a place in the NZ team.
I wonder how much you can read into him coming in and slogging away against an attack spearheaded (!) by Ottis Gibson (who only came here to coach, but the attack was that weak that he donned the whites after 3 years out of the game) though?

Loony BoB

International Captain
Credit where credit is due - 100 off 80 balls, three sixes in a row, seven in all, while all but one of the other batsmen in the Essex team couldn't even manage 30. Leicestershire haven't managed much better, either. Adams (and Middlebrook) dominated a bowling attack that were at the time doing fine on a wicket that has favoured the bowlers considerably. To go from 7-108 to 8-306 isn't a walk in the park in that kind of situation.

EDIT: Back on the Franklin note, he did pull off seven wickets in the end, with stats of 22.1 - 7 - 60 - 7 against Lancashire. Not bad.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I wonder how much you can read into him coming in and slogging away against an attack spearheaded (!) by Ottis Gibson (who only came here to coach, but the attack was that weak that he donned the whites after 3 years out of the game) though?
Oh, come on. How negative can you get? Just because someone scores 100 off 80 balls doesn't mean he was slogging. I suppose every no.9 scores the fastest century of the season on their county debut?

Good on the man - I've always believed in his ability. Hopefully he can sort out his bowling because there's never been anything wrong with his batting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I prefer to call it realistic.

Leicestershire's attack is decidedly poor, and the number of sixes he scored doesn't strike me as being condusive with a sensible innings.

And I'm not sure it's the fastest of the year, didn't someone do one in about 70 earlier on (Neil would know as he's in the Jounalists prediction thing for the Walter Lawrence for some reason)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
On the contrary, Adams scored a brilliant hundred, against an underrated attack.

He and Middlebrook are simply world class, and should be in most All Time XI's now.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Hard Harry said:
Oh, come on. How negative can you get? Just because someone scores 100 off 80 balls doesn't mean he was slogging. I suppose every no.9 scores the fastest century of the season on their county debut?

Good on the man - I've always believed in his ability. Hopefully he can sort out his bowling because there's never been anything wrong with his batting.
Sajid Mahmood scored 94 off only 66 balls earlier this season at no.10

One score means nothing no matter how good / fast it is. Lets see what else Adams does over the next month at least before everyone lauds him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Nobody was lauding him! He was simply being congratulated for scoring his 1st FC century.

Its strange how he's never been able to score one for Auckland...but immediately scores one in County Cricket. Interesting.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I take it Marc, that you saw every ball Adams faced. It could have been a crash/bash innings but considering he came in at 120/7 it could have also have been a brilliant innings.

If you've played the game, regardless of the opposition..hundreds are never easy! Especially when you usually bat #8 or #9.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It was announced today that Shane Bond will not be playing the ICC Champions Trophy. Bracewell said he just hadn't had enough game-time.

NZ have to announce 29 players & there were only 14 or 15 for the Natwest Series so im guessing that we may see players like Peter Fulton & Ross Taylor named in the extended squad.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Good on Adams and Franklin. Why is it that more Kiwis are not playing county cricket? The competition seems to be littered with Aussie FC players that have never reached international status. Mind you, it's not easy to break into that team.

Hey Marc (Moe), maybe the county competition is just weak compared to NZ FC cricket!