• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dream Match Scenario

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
My one dream has to be at the match where Warnie makes his century.:)

I have a few others also, i might add them later but this is my fave.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mr. Ponting said:
My one dream has to be at the match where Warnie makes his century.:)

I have a few others also, i might add them later but this is my fave.

and to think it was alomst reality...

Craig

World Traveller
If I was to be realistic, I would like to see New Zealand knock Australia off this summer in all the Tests and ODIs.

Mr. P

Craig said:
If I was to be realistic, I would like to see New Zealand knock Australia off this summer in all the Tests and ODIs.
How is that being realistic?!?!? :mellow: 8-) NZ will do well but don't get TOO far ahead of yourself...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I will be interested in the rest of the forum's response to that :happy:

I just look at his career record - that speaks volumes for the quality of bowler that he is.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
I have a few ideas for my dream match but i've got to say that regardless, I've witnessed one and anyone who saw it would have to agree.

WI vs Australia.
3rd Test, Barbados

Lara is a captain under probation. Series tied 1-1. WI all out for 51 in 1st Test in Trinidad storm back to beat the World Champs in the 2nd in Jamaica. Lara's brilliant 213 saves his career but for how long? Australia bury the WI bowling in the first inning scoring 490, Steve Waugh scores 199 and Ponting 104. MsGrath and Gillespie wreck WI to 98/6 in their first innings but 105 from Sherwin Campbell and 68 from Ridley Jacobs pull WI to 329, conceding a lead of 161. ENTER Courtney Walsh, Pedro Collins and Curtley Ambrose who wrck Australia's 2nd innings for 146. Shane Warne top scores with 32. WI set 308 to win falter to 105/5 and 248/8. Brian Lara, with the help of Curtley Ambrose pull WI to within 6 runs of victory and an unimaginable 2-1 Series lead. Ambrose falls to Gillespie with the score on 302 and Courtney Walsh, the world record holder for the greatest number of Test ducks entters the arena, allegedly telling Lara:Captain, You do what you have to do, I am not going to get out.

WI-307/9

Gillespie to bowl.....
120.1 Gillespie to Lara, FOUR, he's done it, what an unbelievable match.
Flogs a cover drive to the boundary, what a win, what a game.
West Indies team invades the field to hug Lara, the crowd follow
them
the winning ball was wide of the off stump, Lara just slammed it
into the vacant cover outfield
one of the best Test matches ever surely, topped off with one of
the best comebacks ever... from 98/6 chasing 490 in the 1st
innings
but surely we're all agreed that ODIs are a better form of the
game? No?
presentations to start soon, followed by a couple of day of
celebration for the West Indies, and a couple of days of
recriminations for Australia
no doubt we'll see a few changes for the 4th Test, a new opener
here, a different bowler there, a new keeper perhaps, maybe even
another vice-captain
Steve Waugh being interviewed: "cricket is the winner... best Test
I've ever played in.... It was just a great game.... they (WI)
saved their best for this match"
Lara gets a huge cheer "It was a great team effort... a great Test
match... When Aust batted first I thought it was going to be a
hard Test to win... We're a re looking forward to Antigua"
and the Man of the Match is some unknown chap called Blain Laura or
something
And that's all from Bridgetown, it's time to take pills and get
that heartrate down to a normal level... The Frank Worrell
deciding Test is from Antigua starting 3 April at 1405 GMT
An appropriate weekend for the deciding Test... We've already seen
West Indies perform a couple of resurrections, now it's
Australia's turn. Until then, it's goodbye from CricInfo.

Lara ends on 153*, one of the greatest knocks ever played in the history of Test cricket.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Revelation said:
I have a few ideas for my dream match but i've got to say that regardless, I've witnessed one and anyone who saw it would have to agree.

WI vs Australia.
3rd Test, Barbados

Lara is a captain under probation. Series tied 1-1. WI all out for 51 in 1st Test in Trinidad storm back to beat the World Champs in the 2nd in Jamaica. Lara's brilliant 213 saves his career but for how long? Australia bury the WI bowling in the first inning scoring 490, Steve Waugh scores 199 and Ponting 104. MsGrath and Gillespie wreck WI to 98/6 in their first innings but 105 from Sherwin Campbell and 68 from Ridley Jacobs pull WI to 329, conceding a lead of 161. ENTER Courtney Walsh, Pedro Collins and Curtley Ambrose who wrck Australia's 2nd innings for 146. Shane Warne top scores with 32. WI set 308 to win falter to 105/5 and 248/8. Brian Lara, with the help of Curtley Ambrose pull WI to within 6 runs of victory and an unimaginable 2-1 Series lead. Ambrose falls to Gillespie with the score on 302 and Courtney Walsh, the world record holder for the greatest number of Test ducks entters the arena, allegedly telling Lara:Captain, You do what you have to do, I am not going to get out.

WI-307/9

Gillespie to bowl.....
120.1 Gillespie to Lara, FOUR, he's done it, what an unbelievable match.
Flogs a cover drive to the boundary, what a win, what a game.
West Indies team invades the field to hug Lara, the crowd follow
them
the winning ball was wide of the off stump, Lara just slammed it
into the vacant cover outfield
one of the best Test matches ever surely, topped off with one of
the best comebacks ever... from 98/6 chasing 490 in the 1st
innings

Lara ends on 153*, one of the greatest knocks ever played in the history of Test cricket.
But even perfection can be perfected... Ind vs Aus at Kolkata and then at Chennai in 2001 Amazing !!!!

India follow on 280 runs behind, Laxman ends with 281 ...
Last day Lunch Aus is 80-odd for 2, final session 8 wkts :D

Last edited:

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Adamc said:
WI v England at Lord's, 2004: Brian Lara scores 170* as WI win by an innings. :p
hmmm....i wonder why 170??? Is there some special landmark that Lara's going after?? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Delkap i saw both and the WI v Aus match was certainly much better. The India Aus match was great in terms of their beating the World Champions but the 1999 series, the state of the WI (5-0 v SA) and the status of Lara as captain. The entire scenario made that match even more pivotal. India could have lost 3-0 in that series with very little repurcussions. A WI series defeat would surely have spelt death for Lara's career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
delkap said:
But even perfection can be perfected... Ind vs Aus at Kolkata and then at Chennai in 2001 Amazing !!!!

India follow on 280 runs behind, Laxman ends with 281 ...
Last day Lunch Aus is 80-odd for 2, final session 8 wkts :D
None of these three matches were IMO as good as England-West Indies at Lord's in 2000.
Best Test of all-time quite possibly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Revelation said:
And yet it still wouldn't have won the match had Healey caught the straightforward catch with 7 to win.
Given that he would have been out had that catch been taken and West Indies would have lost, we must ask would it have been considered anywhere near as good?

Dick Rockett

All I want is for the Aussies to consider NZ a big enough drawcard that we get to play on the MCG and SCG for once.

Seriously, the last three tours have been clones - three tests at Hobart, Brisbane and Perth, followed by a tri-series with South Africa.

Having just checked I can say... wow! We get to play on the Adelaide Oval this year. So near, yet so far...

biased indian

International Coach
Ind Vs Aus OCt 2004 series

1st test
India 624/5 dec
Aus 313 and 200 india won by an inngs 111 runs

2nd test
India 650/7 dec
Aus 228 and 200 india won by an inngs 222 runs

3rd test
India 684/9 dec
Aus 200 and 151 india won by an inngs 333 runs

4th test
India 750/7 dec
Aus 250 and 56 india won by an inngs 444 runs

delkap

State Vice-Captain
biased indian said:
Ind Vs Aus OCt 2004 series

1st test
India 624/5 dec
Aus 313 and 200 india won by an inngs 111 runs

2nd test
India 650/7 dec
Aus 228 and 200 india won by an inngs 222 runs

3rd test
India 684/9 dec
Aus 200 and 151 india won by an inngs 333 runs

4th test
India 750/7 dec
Aus 250 and 56 india won by an inngs 444 runs
I love this dream.. Just an add on to it:
Sachin scores in these tests:
1st: 251*
2nd:301
3rd:309*
4th:401*

Series Avg: 1262.00

:D

Its a dream !!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard Harry said:
All I want is for the Aussies to consider NZ a big enough drawcard that we get to play on the MCG and SCG for once.

Seriously, the last three tours have been clones - three tests at Hobart, Brisbane and Perth, followed by a tri-series with South Africa.

Having just checked I can say... wow! We get to play on the Adelaide Oval this year. So near, yet so far...
Too right. I can't understand why we don't get to play at the big grounds, it seems to me that whenever there is a NZ v Australia match at the MCG in the tri-series the ground seems fairly full.

Dick Rockett

True - I went to a tri-series game at the MCG in 1994 when we had a ****e team and there was still 68000 there.

NZ-Aus games are always well attended, no matter what the sport. And we're hardly easybeats anymore. Look at our last Australian tour.

Piper

International Captain
I think mine would be:-
WC final, NZ v Aus
NZ batting
12 balls left, and NZ need 10 runs to win
Cairns and McCullum are in Cairns on strike
Cairns smashes a six down the ground
McCullum is now on strike and hits another six and wins the WC for NZ
Now that would suite me just fine :D