• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New ICC Test Rankings

Swervy

International Captain
1 Australia 129
2 England 107
3 South Africa 106
4 Pakistan 105
5 India 104
6 Sri Lanka 99
7 New Zealand 94
8 West Indies 76
9 Zimbabwe 51
10 Bangladesh 1

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously disappointing for NZ, considering they were #3 at the start of the year. But I guess that shows that if you win a couple of series back to back you can climb up the table fairly quickly..just as quickly as you can fall.

Swervy

International Captain
Tim said:
Seriously disappointing for NZ, considering they were #3 at the start of the year. But I guess that shows that if you win a couple of series back to back you can climb up the table fairly quickly..just as quickly as you can fall.
a lot of it depends on which of the series played a few years ago falls by the wayside...for example for India, their win over Australia a few years back is now not included, hence their slip in position

Sehwag309

Banned
On the other hand, India will move to 2nd spot even if they draw the upcoming series with Australia, provided Eng doesn't beat WI 3-0 and SA beat Lanka 2-0

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Waht will happen if WI win the series? I don't expect them to move in terms of place considering the gap but what about the points?

Craig

World Traveller
So it doesn't matter squat in the official rankings?

Maybe this is New Zealand's incentive to get back up to 3rd spot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sehwag309 said:
On the other hand, India will move to 2nd spot even if they draw the upcoming series with Australia, provided Eng doesn't beat WI 3-0 and SA beat Lanka 2-0
A few ifs and maybes there!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Sehwag309 said:
So what happens if they lose the series vs Australia, and England and SA both whitewash respective series?! Crisis.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
But quite possible. I don't think England would get the better of the WI by such a large margin, at least not as easily as in the Caribbean and the SLv SA tour should turn out to be pretty competitive.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Yeah.The conditions in the West Indies were the most bowler friendly i've seen them.Usually only a few grounds offer so much assistance.Guess they weren't used to it.But now they are used to the English conditions so don't think England's advantage is that great now also that they've now seen Harmison and co. now and most likely know what to do with them.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
When I saw these latest rankings, I was convinced more than ever before, that they are somewhat unrealistic of the real strength of current teams.
I cannot see what purpose these rankings serve, if they cannot realistically reflect the strength of Teams at any given time. Time for Duckworth and Lewis to create a genuine ranking system that can give a realistic indication of Team strengths at any given time. My personal impression of the current strength of Teams would rank :
1. Australia

2. India
3. South Africa = England
5. New Zealand = Pakistan = Sri Lanka

8. West Indies

9. Bangladesh

10. Current Zimbabwe (ie without rebels)

(the gap between teams is intended to reflect the relative strengths of the Team above to the Team immediately below it).
Most neutrals would agree that the above would be the true current reflection of Test Teams in terms of relative strengths.

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Yeah think that covers it.That gap beteen the 5 and 8 spots shouldn't be that big.It's not as if Sri Lanka is one of the more consistent teams.The West Indies beat them with Murali.The rest is ok.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
that all depends on if they maintain current form or slip back.

Don't forget they've only had 2 good series results - prior to that form was sketchy at best.

Of course they may climb to number 2 because they don't leave the subcontinent for another 18 months or more.

biased indian

International Coach
JASON said:
Time for Duckworth and Lewis to create a genuine ranking system that can give a realistic indication of Team strengths at any given time.
as far as i know the current ranking is created by one David Kendix

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Of course they may climb to number 2 because they don't leave the subcontinent for another 18 months or more.
its not because of that its because we perform well aganist the best team in the world unlike Eng who have not defeated them in what 18 years.
performance aganist good team count more, england will not gain much with a good performance aganist WI this time as WI has gone further down in the ranking.as this ranking looks opp strenght as well

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
What confuses me is how India are rated below both England & Pakistan...I think India should be no. 2 with SA at 3