• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Instead of Jayawardena will Sangakkara be a good capt for SL ???

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Already got enough on his plate 'keeping and batting no. 3 I think... don't want to burn him out.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
true enough but it might make him much more motivated...and i personally think that he has better leadership qualities than anyone else in the team...even more than Atapattu

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
I'd prefer Sangakkara as skipper over Jayawardene, he seems more aggressive than Mahela. If Kumar wasn't a wicketkeeper, I'd give him the captaincy without a hesitation.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
exactly....Sanga is a far better leader than anyone in the side...a captain should be touch aggresive..otherwise other teams try to lower ur confidence by unnessasary coments and gestures. A agressive captain will counter attack those properly and increase tha confidence of the team. Sanga can do that !!!

tooextracool

International Coach
Adamc said:
Already got enough on his plate 'keeping and batting no. 3 I think... don't want to burn him out.
if you ask me mahela isnt or rather shouldnt even be a certainity in the side....and from the looks of things i find him the only player in the SL capable of being a 'good' captain(they've only really had 1 in their cricket history)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arjuna, of course.
He might have annoyed some people, just like Ganguly, but those who don't hold that irrational hatred can see what a good skipper he was. He was tactically good, too, unlike Sourav.
Personally I do think Sangakkara would make a good captain - all the more reason to have Jayawardene batting three, Dilshan four and Kalu six and keeping. I think he and Arjuna have much in common - both left-handers who can bowl a bit, both best placed at five, both adept players of both forms of the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sangakkara can bowl a bit?

And why move him from where he's had great success (ie number 3) ?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
What do you mean Jayawardene shouldn't be a certainty for S.L? he averages around 50 in tests!

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
i say that mahela should definitely be in the side...but should not be the next captain of sri lanka...true he had captained his school side...but this standard of cricket is different...i think sanga should be made vice captain if he continues to play well soon.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
take a look at his average outside of SL and zimbabwe.......
I think quite a few of the Sri Lankan's are like that, remembering back to the Top-End tour, they showed those stats fairly frequently...